Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C5003D9B-B490-4F0E-BF08-C1EC50AB281A.jpeg
E4E17D9B-C606-480F-95A7-7EE750F5F8B6.jpeg
4/9/2018 around 7:30am - no car carriers in the lot. Lot is filled back up with only aisles 1-3 empty (presumably for the carriers)
4/9/2018 around 1:30PM one car carrier in the lot and aisle 3 filled with cars.

I had heard in the past they needed the land where the Rail came in, for more buildings. there is just a dirt pile there at the moment. They had a beautiful 3 track rail loading center.

Personally I think it was an ill thought out move that is going to cost them in the logistics. It was there and paid for. Granted a lot of the ties may have needed to be replaced due to age but that is minor to the cost of replacement. But still it was there and paid for.

Railroads have annual maintenance fees. On of those is the cost to retain rail switches. Tesla had two connected to UP. The railroads want to minimize the derailment risks and are very vigilant on their maintenance. So I have heard number of up to $60,000 A YEAR to keep a switch in service, used or not. Tesla at the time wasn't using there so they said cut them out and avoid the fees. (Happened to a buddy of mine here on the east coast). Dirt road crossing fees are $600.00 a year minimum. Daily switching costs from UP are not cheap either.

Now Tesla will have to pay to reinstall the loading center back in and that will now cost Millions to start over. Infrastructure costs for RR's are staggering. Car Demure is also not cheap either.

I don't know what is at Richmond and who they could be sharing the loading facilities with. But Tesla may be avoiding all these direct costs by sharing the site with other car companies??? It could be a UP Transload facility, I just dont know. Here on the east cost is Jessup MD. All brands ship into this location for the Baltimore & DC area. Tesla might be the only outbound cars but others could be coming inbound which is nice for the RR's who would be pulling out empties.

Richmond has three car carrier facilities. Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Volkswagen, Honda, and Subaru all offload cars there. Subaru also loads cars there (probably cars shipped from Japan). I expect most of the offloaded cars are cars built in other parts of the US and they are being offloaded for sale in California. Some may be coming from the Port of Los Angeles which is the biggest car import port in the US.

Tesla probably gets a discount for loading there because the car carrier railroad cars would end up dead heading back to their place of origin without Tesla.

RichmondRailFacility.jpg

Richmond has three car carrier facilities. Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Volkswagen, Honda, and Subaru all offload cars there. Subaru also loads cars there (probably cars shipped from Japan). I expect most of the offloaded cars are cars built in other parts of the US and they are being offloaded for sale in California. Some may be coming from the Port of Los Angeles which is the biggest car import port in the US.

Tesla probably gets a discount for loading there because the car carrier railroad cars would end up dead heading back to their place of origin without Tesla.

View attachment 292977

There you go, that might be why Tesla does it.

It's nice to see they took down the construction fence so we can get better pictures. :D

Thanks again for posting the shots.

• Funny
Reactions: RedOctober