Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found out what’s causing undercarriage composite to break apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20C23DBD-2603-4111-9F4F-319CE4AD0BFD.jpeg
DF60E970-4D90-4ED7-8B21-D97AEFB9F76C.png
I watched the hitch install video and wonder if the the crud buildup under the plate he found at 5:40 minute mark is from dirt and water flowing through there. There’s also another concern with water flowing next to that plug that connects to bumper sensors.

I think Tesla must be aware of problem and they’re removing middle bolt in hopes it’ll drain but as you can see from my first video nothing drains out of there.
That's what I don't understand. If the bolt is missing, how is it possible that water is leaking out through your holes #1 and #5, but not the empty middle hole that looks like it's right in the middle between them?

BTW, great sleuthing!

They have to recall and fix if it causes big problems in a significant number of cars, right? Eventually large debris could end up clogging whatever preexisting drain routes there are, leading to prolonged flooding of the bumper. And it was noted above some electrical connections are right inside that bumper.

They have to recall and fix if it causes big problems in a significant number of cars, right? Eventually large debris could end up clogging whatever preexisting drain routes there are, leading to prolonged flooding of the bumper. And it was noted above some electrical connections are right inside that bumper.

I think recalls are only required for safety issues...

Reactions: P85_DA
I think recalls are only required for safety issues...

You're right. I think the closest is this Manufacturer Communications (2018 TESLA MODEL 3 4 DR AWD)

Thinking how to spin this as a safety issue. Bumper gets so heavy from water accumulation after rainfall it falls (or could fall) off when driving at high speed over small bumps and hits car/bicycles/etc behind you resulting in injuries?

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
You're right. I think the closest is this Manufacturer Communications (2018 TESLA MODEL 3 4 DR AWD)

Thinking how to spin this as a safety issue. Bumper gets so heavy from water accumulation after rainfall it falls (or could fall) off when driving at high speed over small bumps and hits car/bicycles/etc behind you resulting in injuries?

It doesn't look like you could get more than an inch or so of water in the bumper before it would pour over the lip. Though there have been two reports of the rear bumper cover coming off while fording deepish water...

Reactions: P85_DA and N54TT
It doesn't look like you could get more than an inch or so of water in the bumper before it would pour over the lip. Though there have been two reports of the rear bumper cover coming off while fording deepish water...
That has to be a different failure root cause. Similar, but different, imho.

There is not going to be significant water running down in this location from what I can tell. There is a seal, although I’m sure not 100%!along the window edge of the trunk. The sides are not sloped towards the gap. Not going to be collecting gallons of water this way.

There are 3 bolts that hold bottom of bumper and the center one is missing.
View attachment 353978
screwmiss.png

Hmm... I just checked mine and there was a screw/bolt there but it was barely in there, probably with more driving it could just wiggle loose and fall out.

screwit.png

I just finger tightened it back down, and will consider what to do next. I am thinking about drilling drain holes, but want to give it a bit more thought first.
Also, thinking maybe those screws need some better way to stay put. Perhaps some kind of thread locking compound / glue.

That has to be a different failure root cause. Similar, but different, imho.

There is not going to be significant water running down in this location from what I can tell. There is a seal, although I’m sure not 100%!along the window edge of the trunk. The sides are not sloped towards the gap. Not going to be collecting gallons of water this way.
My bumper cover overfilled after every car wash just with water hose. I imagine during rainy day it would be constantly overflowing to composite material softening and weakening it till eventually it breaks apart.

Hmm... I just checked mine and there was a screw/bolt there but it was barely in there, probably with more driving it could just wiggle loose and fall out.

View attachment 354461

I just finger tightened it back down, and will consider what to do next. I am thinking about drilling drain holes, but want to give it a bit more thought first.
Also, thinking maybe those screws need some better way to stay put. Perhaps some kind of thread locking compound / glue.

Use some blue Loctite (threadlock). Blue is not permanent and allows removal but will stay tight until removed.

• Informative
Reactions: Olds442

View attachment 354461

My center one is missing and the right side was halfway out just like yours. I tightened them up and will recheck when I get a replacement for center hole. If I find them loose again then I’ll add a drop of loctite.

If you do decide to drill, the best spot to do it is where I drilled hole #5. One hole should be enough but it should be a 1/2” drill bit as the 5/16” I used didn’t drain quick enough. Try pouring some water the way I did to see if your bumper cover also fills up or check after car wash.

• Love
Reactions: hobbes and Jaywlker
Just checked mine and I am missing the center bolt. BUT there isn’t even a female threaded hole for the bolt to screw into. For those missing center bolts, do you have a corresponding hole there to thread a bolt into? Looks like a design change where there is a hole in the middle but mounting point was removed. Kinda like the fender liners that have holes but no corresponding hole in the fender to install fender plugs.

Have to admit I find this worrisome. We are going to be getting rain and my Model 3 is parked outside on a driveway with a slant (typical for homes in this area to sit above street level to prevent flooding in homes).

If parked front in and I assume my car is just like OPs, the water will build up in the rear bumper panel until the car is moved. Could see where the additional water weight can be a problem and really don't want my bumper to fall off. BTW it is a safety issue if you don't have a bumper.

If parked rear in the water will still fall into the bumper and the guess is would send the water into the lining due to the slanted nature of the car on the driveway. Don't really have any where else to park my car, and even parked in a level parking lot or driving on the street it looks like water will still get inside if like OPs.

Since the cars are constantly being modified am wondering if this was caught early at some point and redesigned. OP, what mfgr date is your car? Have you spoken to service about this yet?

This is definitely a safety issue - if your Model 3's bumper falls off at 70mph you can bet the people driving behind you will panic and that could create a dangerous situation.