Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found out what’s causing undercarriage composite to break apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wtf. First I found a screwlose in my door now this thread with water entering the car? Wtf it’s like a bad gift that keeps on giving

Honestly, though it is unbelievable that pieces of the car are missing, this is a minor issue in the big scheme of things. The water accumulation is largely a non-issue especially since you are in LA (it's more of an issue of dirt accumulation in areas which use a lot of sand on the roads). Just don't drive fast through any large puddles to avoid the ripping. I haven't had any problems at all. Everything seems good under the car, and I've checked. Survived our rainy winter.

Also check to make sure you have everything and that there are no missing bolts...

Honestly, though it is unbelievable that pieces of the car are missing, this is a minor issue in the big scheme of things. The water accumulation is largely a non-issue especially since you are in LA (it's more of an issue of dirt accumulation in areas which use a lot of sand on the roads). Just don't drive fast through any large puddles.
Ummmmm I paid 51k for this car. A lose bolt from some pot head assembly worker to me is an issue lol still love the car. I just gotta laugh at your comment.

Ummmmm I paid 51k for this car. A lose bolt from some pot head assembly worker to me is an issue lol still love the car. I just gotta laugh at your comment.

Not saying it's not an issue. Just a minor issue; it is easy to check and easy to fix. As I said, it is unbelievable, especially for the cost of these cars. Mine was missing several bolts. I tightened the remaining ones and got a couple replacements. I'm still missing one, since the service center was out of them 6 months ago when I went in. :)

You do absolutely have to have the performance aero covers/shields under the vehicle, though. They protect the motors from incidental road debris, and prevent the rear bumper cover from falling off. Someone who was missing one had their oil filter punctured.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rottenapplr
Not saying it's not an issue. Just a minor issue; it is easy to check and easy to fix. As I said, it is unbelievable, especially for the cost of these cars. Mine was missing several bolts. I tightened the remaining ones and got a couple replacements. I'm still missing one, since the service center was out of them 6 months ago when I went in. :)

You do absolutely have to have the performance aero covers/shields under the vehicle, though. They protect the motors from incidental road debris, and prevent the rear bumper cover from falling off. Someone who was missing one had their oil filter punctured.
Oil filter??? This is for an ice car?

Oil filter??? This is for an ice car?

Yes, each motor has an oil filter. They use oil for lubrication of the gears and perhaps for cooling, and the filters pick up any assembly debris and reduce incidence of premature motor (gear) failure & wear. There is no replacement required for the life of the vehicle as far as I know, though it might be prudent at some point, to make sure that debris is removed entirely from the vehicle.

Part 5 in the diagram below. This is the rear drive unit.
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 10.52.10 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Thank you all for posting about this issue. It really educated me when the same thing happened to me and it got me angry. My Mid Aero Shield was damaged last week in the rain. I was shocked to find out Telsa was not covering it under warranty, especially with the TSB that was issued earlier this year. My Model 3 is 2 months old and I live in Miami where it rains, hard, all summer. After reading all the damaged aero shield posts on this forum and others, I'm more annoyed. I wrote Tesla and I'm attempting to invoked arbitration on this issue. I have also complained to the NHSTA, DOT, Florida AG's Office, the CFPB and the Better Business Bureau. Its really not about the $214 it cost to replace the shield. Its about a clearly defective part that should be recalled and replaced. The service guy at the Tesla Coral Gables service center said the Tesla mid aero shield, part # 1104313-00-B, is the number 1 stocked item at their service center. Yes, I had the new aero shield required by the TSB and it still failed. I paid $60k for a car i cant drive in the rain. 20190820_213325.jpg 20190820_213330.jpg

Thank you all for posting about this issue. It really educated me when the same thing happened to me and it got me angry. My Mid Aero Shield was damaged last week in the rain. I was shocked to find out Telsa was not covering it under warranty, especially with the TSB that was issued earlier this year. My Model 3 is 2 months old and I live in Miami where it rains, hard, all summer. After reading all the damaged aero shield posts on this forum and others, I'm more annoyed. I wrote Tesla and I'm attempting to invoked arbitration on this issue. I have also complained to the NHSTA, DOT, Florida AG's Office, the CFPB and the Better Business Bureau. Its really not about the $214 it cost to replace the shield. Its about a clearly defective part that should be recalled and replaced. The service guy at the Tesla Coral Gables service center said the Tesla mid aero shield, part # 1104313-00-B, is the number 1 stocked item at their service center. Yes, I had the new aero shield required by the TSB and it still failed. I paid $60k for a car i cant drive in the rain. View attachment 445529 View attachment 445539

Do you have dashcam (and more specifically side repeater) video of the event that damaged the cover? Would be helpful to see what it takes.

In addition, if the cover is not properly secured, it is definitely more vulnerable. My sense is that if you go through significant standing water, it is at risk regardless, though. Never had any problems myself. Got my last bolt for the middle from the mobile service guys a couple months ago. Bolting secured!

My composite material has ripped as well. I frequently drive through a car wash because I live in San Jose and don't have a garage and like having a clean car. In addition to replicating hole # 5, I am considering making a fiber glass repair where the composite was torn. After removing, cleaning and drying that composite peice, in addition to repairing the rip with fiber glass, I may as well coat the whole thing with fiber glass resin. It's already made of fiber, so it should bond well and be strong, stiff and much more water resistant.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Cintoman
You're right. I think the closest is this Manufacturer Communications (2018 TESLA MODEL 3 4 DR AWD)

Thinking how to spin this as a safety issue. Bumper gets so heavy from water accumulation after rainfall it falls (or could fall) off when driving at high speed over small bumps and hits car/bicycles/etc behind you resulting in injuries?
Thanks for the link, just got waved at and driver came alongside to let me know something was hanging down under my car. It was that panel, it had ripped and a section was ripped so it was like a mud flap under the middle of my car. I used your link and filled out the form. As they are interested in safety concerns I wrote it this way.
"Fiber panel extending from rear bumper under vehicle forward to the battery pack deforms after becoming wet and rips apart. This panel can come out from under the car while driving at high speed and cause driver behind to swerve to avoid the large panel and have an accident. Water accumulates in panel from rain and puddles and lowers it into the wind stream and then it becomes ripped and can be torn loose."

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Thanks for the link, just got waved at and driver came alongside to let me know something was hanging down under my car. It was that panel, it had ripped and a section was ripped so it was like a mud flap under the middle of my car. I used your link and filled out the form. As they are interested in safety concerns I wrote it this way.
"Fiber panel extending from rear bumper under vehicle forward to the battery pack deforms after becoming wet and rips apart. This panel can come out from under the car while driving at high speed and cause driver behind to swerve to avoid the large panel and have an accident. Water accumulates in panel from rain and puddles and lowers it into the wind stream and then it becomes ripped and can be torn loose."
Check to see if the bolts holding the panel in place are still there or some/all are missing.