Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found the best usb solution!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I'm late to this discussion but I have a basic question (which has probably been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it): why can't the car store sentry videos on the same USB drive that contains the music files?
I think the Tesla camera software wants to write to a dedicated logical drive. Many people myself included, have partitioned a single physical drive into two logical drives, using one for camera data and the other for music.

I think the Tesla camera software wants to write to a dedicated logical drive. Many people myself included, have partitioned a single physical drive into two logical drives, using one for camera data and the other for music.

My experience with this is that my dual partitioned USB drive corrupts far more often than a non-partitioned drive. I've given up the partitioned drive option at the moment.

This also might be an easy question, but why are folks loading music on a USB drive vs. streaming via Bluetooth off a phone? Is it just capacity — wanting more music than you want to store on a phone? Or quality, wanting higher resolution audio files? Truly just curious.

Just high quality. High bit rates. The premium stereo deserves is just too damn good for Bluetooth.

I actually don’t want too many songs on the thumb drive because it’s a pain to scroll. It’s my favorite songs that are high quality that is on the drive.

I have a 256 gb iPhone so I’m not exactly hurting for space for music.

Just high quality. High bit rates. The premium stereo deserves is just too damn good for Bluetooth.

I actually don’t want too many songs on the thumb drive because it’s a pain to scroll. It’s my favorite songs that are high quality that is on the drive.

I have a 256 gb iPhone so I’m not exactly hurting for space for music.

Same here. For me, the quality is noticeably better. Also I find the music management better and easier. Now I don’t have to unlock my phone and use my phone to pick music. Much safer.

I've had the reader linked below for ages. It's great because it's fast, and has two card slots which can both be used at the same time. I got my M3 car yesterday, and installed the reader with two sd cards in it. The car happily used one for music, the other for sentry. Got the 128GB Samsung pro endurance recommended for sentry, now I just need a bigger sd card for the music. The 64GB card I was testing with isn't quite big enough for my whole library.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006T9B6R2

I used this hub recommended in about thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C4D1W2X

There's an interesting hub solution coming from Jeda. It's far more expensive than these simply hubs, but nicely integrated, provides both USB-A and USB-C, and hides your Sentry/Dashcam flash drive.
Not too bad. I wonder that they didn't seem to put two ports for two different USB drives in the hidden compartment for both a sentry drive and a music drive. I also wonder if shutting the sentry drive inside such an enclosed space is going to make heat issues worse.

900mA is enough to power everything? Seems a little hard to believe. I think I read somewhere that the USB ports on the M3 will output up to 2.1A each. Is there a higher power solution?

Depends what you mean by "everything"

It'd be enough to power 2 USB sticks and leave a little for a single phone charging cable.

Personally what I do is have a USB key for dashcam/sentry in one port by itself, because I want the least chance of anything having that not work.

Then an anker hub in the other port, which runs my USB key for music (about 30 mA at idle, about 300 mA max read power draw) and have the two "factory" iphone cables plugged into 2 other ports on the hub leaving between 600-870 mA available to the phone cables (depending if I'm using the USB music drive or not). It's slow to charge, but works just fine.

I basically never, ever, need "fast" phone charging (hell I rarely need phone charging at all- I have ways to charge at home, at work, and any friends house I visit will have USB charging these days too).... if I did though the spare phone cable I keep in the console could just go into a rear port for full speed charging I suppose.

Oh, also, the front ports will output 2.5 amps each, at 2.6 they shut down.

Generally if you need/want more than that you will want to run a cable from the 12v in the armrest, that an supply a LOT more power. (12A continuous, 16A peak)

I have taptes plugged l direct into USB 1 and a hub in usb,2 with raspberry pi zero for auto wifi video backup, and taptes wireless charger and it works fine. Charges slowly for the secondary phone but everything works-- no need for more accessories.