Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four months to go ... tick tock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
glad you dug this up. I bought one of my cars soon after that statement (not because of that statement though). Here I am over 2 years later with that car and the only full self driving I am enjoying is when the wife drives while I sleep :rolleyes:

Elon's statement was responding directly to the question of when FSD features will depart from AutoPilot features. This has nothing to do with when the car will drive itself without human supervision. In fact, FSD features have already noticeably departed from AP features. That doesn't mean you don't need to supervise it!

Elon's statement was responding directly to the question of when FSD features will depart from AutoPilot features. This has nothing to do with when the car will drive itself without human supervision. In fact, FSD features have already noticeably departed from AP features. That doesn't mean you don't need to supervise it!
Haha. Not for people who had purchased FSD when he tweeted that.

However to my knowledge this is the first time they put a specific date ('later this year') in the actual order page details.

Unfortunately this is not true.

Tesla put a very specific date on the whole EAP appearing.

A lot of us ordered EAP thinking NoA and Enhanced Summon (it was described on the Autopilot page then) would be out in December 2016 because it said so in the Design Studio.

What fools we were but there you go.

Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

Last edited:
Then some people can't understand plain English. Because in no way was his statement addressing FSD without human supervision and that was clear to anyone with even a 3rd grade understanding of the English language.
I never said that.
What are the released FSD features that are not part of EAP?
Tesla changed the definition of FSD earlier this year. People who bought FSD before that still have nothing more than people who didn’t.

Personally, I think it's probably too dangerous to roll any of the features out until they are capable of Level 4 autonomy. Which may actually be not technically possible at this time.
Elon used the term “feature complete”. I agree with you, they have these “features”, “capabilities”, mostly done but they are not GA quality, hence what is happening with Enhanced Summon.
When Elon gives his optimistic (ignorant?) timeline I don’t think he fully comprehends, or is mentally skewed in his head, the time and effort to go from idea - prototype - release. Idea to prototype is only part of the time and that is what he bases his timelines on, but as many know 0-80% is easy, 81-100% is really hard and the closer you get to 100 the harder it gets, aka the 80/20 rule, or the 90/10 rule, you get the idea.
I bought FSD fully understanding it wasn’t going to be fully implemented for a couple years. Caveat Emptor, if your spending ~$60K on anything you should do your research on what you’re buying. And never rely solely on what a CEO says publicly, just consider it marketing.