Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FPL Advertisement about EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting this installed tomorrow.
It's $31 for unlimited off-peak charging. You can also charge more than one vehicle, just not at the same time (They won't hook up another charger to this one like you can with Tesla's charger).
I will let you know how it goes, but for us it's a no-brainer. We charge during off-peak anyway just because of how our schedules are, so it's not going to change our habits much.

I'm getting this installed tomorrow.
It's $31 for unlimited off-peak charging. You can also charge more than one vehicle, just not at the same time (They won't hook up another charger to this one like you can with Tesla's charger).
I will let you know how it goes, but for us it's a no-brainer. We charge during off-peak anyway just because of how our schedules are, so it's not going to change our habits much.
So how did it go? I am thinking about doing this, just not sure if it worth it. Hear me out I want to install Solar Panels and Battery Backup in few years, hmm but yeah $31 per month for UNLIMITED EV charging (especially when we add 2nd EV down the road) is a killer deal. Only problem is, can't charge during the day so need to plan accordingly.

So how did it go? I am thinking about doing this, just not sure if it worth it. Hear me out I want to install Solar Panels and Battery Backup in few years, hmm but yeah $31 per month for UNLIMITED EV charging (especially when we add 2nd EV down the road) is a killer deal. Only problem is, can't charge during the day so need to plan accordingly.
LOL, I saw your post was 6 min ago, I guess tell me tomorrow haha.

OK, I signed up, did some math and $31 for "unlimited" charging is a great deal, yeah I have to charge at night during the week and anytime on the weekend. I think this is around $350 in savings per year for me. When we add 2nd EV, then savings double :).

You get Enel X JuiceBox https://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-40-Next-Generation-Electric-Charging/dp/B07ZL41687 and you get access to it using FPL EVolution app, which can be used for Charging when traveling around Florida too :), best part their pricing is lower than Superchargers, sure speed too but did I mention I like saving $$$

Reactions: Bastage0
Well, I signed up as well.

I already spend at least $31/month on electricity to charge my car, so worst case I will break even. This summer I did a lot of driving and my electric usage was much higher, so I suspect some reasonable cost savings through this.

The only real risk I could identify was that the "free nights and weekends" rate is actually a called out rate on their rate sheet. It is currently set to zero, enabling the free charging periods. I could envision a future where FPL starts raising that above zero, which would make this plan less attractive. Especially since it is a ten year contract. Hopefully they keep the rate at zero long enough to make it worthwhile.

As already pointed out, the actual charger is the 40 amp version of the Enel X JuiceBox. Below is a screen grab from the sign up form. It case you are wondering, it is the only choice for a charger even though you see a "select this charger" option in the picture.

Juicebox.png

Also, their "hardwired connection" appears to have a slightly different definition that what I am used to. To me, the Tesla chargers are "hardwired," but according to the research I did, the JuiceBox charger terminates at a connector in their "hardwired" versions.

I could be wrong, but it looks like a plug will have to be installed to power up this box. Maybe those of you who are a little further ahead in the process can provide more insight into the process.
I did get an e-mail from FPL asking about my breaker size, and I asked them this same question. If no one answers before I get a response, I'll add that information into this thread.

Last edited:
It took them about 45 minutes to remove the wall charger I had and install the JuiceBox. There's an FPL EVolution app you can use to connect to the charger via your home Wi-Fi and track your charging. It's charging my MYP at 34 mph currently at 40A. I believe it was closer to 40 mph before (at 48A), so this is slower, but should be worth it. We drive a lot.

Attachments

• 20221118_120740.jpg
    20221118_120740.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 126
We signed up to be notified when the program was available to us, and so far it's been nothing but crickets. Kinda makes me wonder if they're ignoring the Panhandle after the Gulf Power shenanigans.

For those that have gotten in already, thanks for the details on the charger provided and how the installs are working out. I'm still hoping it won't be long before they offer it to us, as $31 a month for the program will save me a LOT of money.

So I've had it for a little while and it's great. There are a few cons that don't really bother me (all things considered):
1) charge rate is a little slower, (34 mph on a Model X), but plenty enough to charge fully overnight.
2) no button to open the charge port or unlock it, so you have to use your phone or go into the car
3) You lose 8 hours of peak time where you can't charge, unless you want to pay 22 cents/ kWh
4) You're locked in for 10 years, if you cancel before 5 years you pay a $768.48 fee and they take the JuiceBox back. If after 5 years, you just pay whatever the pro-rated remaining value of the JuiceBox.

And now for pros:
1) you can use your Tesla charger somewhere else (I might install it at my parents' house)
2) If the JuiceBox malfunctions or fails, they'll replace it. It's technically theirs during the contract period.
3) After 10 years, the JuiceBox is yours
4) I just got my first bill and since I didn't have the charger for the full service period, they pro-rated the 31 dollars. 654 kWh for around $13!!!!!
This is a great !@#$ing deal. I saved almost $80. It's a flat rate of $31 or $38 a month all you can charge.

• Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
If you only have 150amp service and need an upgraded panel to charge at 40amps will they cover all the costs? I'm curious if any of you had to upgrade

I don't think they will upgrade your whole panel, but I'm not sure what the $38/month plan includes. I think it would only include pulling wires from your breaker box.

I had mine installed under the $31/month plan because I already had a Tesla wall charger installed.

My main breaker is only 150 amp and I have had no problem running my car charger with the rest of my house so far.

I don't think they will upgrade your whole panel, but I'm not sure what the $38/month plan includes. I think it would only include pulling wires from your breaker box.

I had mine installed under the $31/month plan because I already had a Tesla wall charger installed.

My main breaker is only 150 amp and I have had no problem running my car charger with the rest of my house so far.
Ah ok. My electrician says if I want to hardwire the Tesla Wall Connector to charge at 11.5 kW or even 7.2 kW I have to upgrade my service as I'm over 150amps. I did a NEC load calculation myself and I came up with 162 amps.

I did call FPL today and was told that the electric panel is customer responsibility so they do not cover the panel upgrade. I'm now looking at load management equipment like DCC-12 and Blackbox to get around upgrading to 200amp service as I don't really want to spend that much money. I'm gonna talk to another electrician tomorrow who will hopefully provide more guidance. Finding a good electrician seems pretty hard. That's what made the FPL program appealing to me. At this point though if I have to upgrade my panel or add a load manager then I would rather just use the Tesla Wall Connector especially because I don't think I'll be in this townhouse for 10 years.

Also to note:
We went on the Time of Use billing plan because my daily commute uses around 60kW and charging under standard rates on Off Peak times (10pm to 6AM) was killing us on our bill. Time of Use shifts $.08 from off peak rate to on peak rate, so charging at night was only around $.02/kWh instead of 9.

That said, i've been trying to get signed up for the flat rate program and just finally found out that if you are on TOU rate you are not elligible for this program. I've had them take us off the TOU so that i can sign up for this. I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for the month or so of standard billing before this is installed.

Also to note:
We went on the Time of Use billing plan because my daily commute uses around 60kW and charging under standard rates on Off Peak times (10pm to 6AM) was killing us on our bill. Time of Use shifts $.08 from off peak rate to on peak rate, so charging at night was only around $.02/kWh instead of 9.

That said, i've been trying to get signed up for the flat rate program and just finally found out that if you are on TOU rate you are not elligible for this program. I've had them take us off the TOU so that i can sign up for this. I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for the month or so of standard billing before this is installed.
What do you mean? Off peak is $0.08 per kWh and On peak is $0.23 per kWh. Standard rate plan is $0.11678 per kWh