Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FPL Advertisement about EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @gnxs . I had forgotten that the car came with the J1172 adapter. I haven't opened that kit bag since i recieved the car.
Installation went smooth this morning. The extra charge cord length is helpful. Only downside is that now if my WIFI goes out, I can't charge my car. The box simply will not connect or allow charge if its not connected to Wifi.

Thankfully our wifi is up about 99% of the time but it could be a concern for someone who has questionable wifi connectivity.
Quick test showed a true 40Amp charge rate so that will be nice to have slightly faster charging than the mobile adapter allowed at 32Amp peak.

Reactions: gnxs
I've had a couple issues with the system over the last week.
The last two nights the app/charger has frozen with a notification that says "finishing" in the upper corner, like its trying to finish the prior nights charge. I think this is happening because rather than it stopping charge at 0600 like its scheduled to do, the car stops the charge when it hits my set SOC limit.

I've had to hit the supercharger on the way to work that last two nights because after plugging the car in at 20:00 it shows plugged in - no power. This seems like a software issue where the charger should at least send a power signal to the car to let it know its ready. Instead it sits in this yellow light flasshing null state and doesn't charge the car. This morning i happened to wake up at 130am and saw the car hadn't started charging yet so i was able to walk out, unplug and restart the process.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Just moved to Florida recently.. Going to crunch the numbers and see if I should go with this option. Have a M3P with free supercharging for life but I still charge a little at home. Theyre opening a new supercharger by the supermarket I got to. So just gotta see the bills roll in for a few months and compare the numbers. Thanks for the info!

I've had a couple issues with the system over the last week.
The last two nights the app/charger has frozen with a notification that says "finishing" in the upper corner, like its trying to finish the prior nights charge. I think this is happening because rather than it stopping charge at 0600 like its scheduled to do, the car stops the charge when it hits my set SOC limit.

I've had to hit the supercharger on the way to work that last two nights because after plugging the car in at 20:00 it shows plugged in - no power. This seems like a software issue where the charger should at least send a power signal to the car to let it know its ready. Instead it sits in this yellow light flasshing null state and doesn't charge the car. This morning i happened to wake up at 130am and saw the car hadn't started charging yet so i was able to walk out, unplug and restart the process.

Anyone else have a similar issue?
No. I've had one minor issue where the charger lost wifi connectivity for a short while and wouldn't charge. That lasted about 15 minutes. I still have my Tesla charger in the garage for emergencies, but so far so good.

How do they connect this and how does the billing work?

Do they connect to the customer side of the meter?

If so, do they then subtract the EV usage from the main meter? And would that be measured by the EVSE?

I have a similar deal in Austin. $30/mo for off peak. Don’t drive a lot, so maybe saving $25/mo. But I had to pay for the install, including a second meter can & my own evse (Tesla WC in my case).

How do they connect this and how does the billing work?

Do they connect to the customer side of the meter?

If so, do they then subtract the EV usage from the main meter? And would that be measured by the EVSE?

I have a similar deal in Austin. $30/mo for off peak. Don’t drive a lot, so maybe saving $25/mo. But I had to pay for the install, including a second meter can & my own evse (Tesla WC in my case).
This is only for Florida.

The charger is always connected to WiFi. They know when and how much you charge. Based on the off peak / on peak of the TOU rates that determines if you pay extra or not.

Off peak = unlimited free charging

On peak = $0.24 per kW on top of your $31 / $38 a month fee

This is only for Florida.

The charger is always connected to WiFi. They know when and how much you charge. Based on the off peak / on peak of the TOU rates that determines if you pay extra or not.

Off peak = unlimited free charging

On peak = $0.24 per kW on top of your $31 / $38 a month fee
Right. But I'm curious how they deal with the main house meter and if the EVSE is considered accurate enough to be used for measurement.

In my case I have a main meter and a EV sub-meter.

Every month they get a reading of use from the main meter.
They also get a reading from the sub-meter for both off peak and on peak. The off peak is subtracted from the main meter for my bill.

If my on peak EV charging exceeds 10% of the total EV charging they convert all the EV charging to on peak and I pay the extra $30 + the EV electricity at normal rates.

Right. But I'm curious how they deal with the main house meter and if the EVSE is considered accurate enough to be used for measurement.

In my case I have a main meter and a EV sub-meter.

Every month they get a reading of use from the main meter.
They also get a reading from the sub-meter for both off peak and on peak. The off peak is subtracted from the main meter for my bill.

If my on peak EV charging exceeds 10% of the total EV charging they convert all the EV charging to on peak and I pay the extra $30 + the EV electricity at normal rates.
I don't think they care about accuracy. They have excess power at night that's going to waste and now they charge people $38 a month which is enough to cover 1400+ miles of driving a month. Plus if you charge On Peak they charge you more. It's a win-win for them. This also comes with a 10 year contract which costs $768 to terminate before the 5 year mark. After the 5 year mark they prorate it and you get to keep the Enel Juicebox 40. This program is a good deal if you do enough driving to offset the cost

I don't think they care about accuracy. They have excess power at night that's going to waste and now they charge people $38 a month which is enough to cover 1400+ miles of driving a month. Plus if you charge On Peak they charge you more. It's a win-win for them. This also comes with a 10 year contract which costs $768 to terminate before the 5 year mark. After the 5 year mark they prorate it and you get to keep the Enel Juicebox 40. This program is a good deal if you do enough driving to offset the cost
Right. But I’d the evse totally bypassing the main meter?

If it is not, somehow that needs to get reconciled. Or does it come with a plan that has free electrons fir everything during the overnight hours.

I investigated this last year. I have 2 Teslas. The contract reads only 1 EV. I asked FPL about 2 EV's. They said the contract is 1 EV but they aren't tracking VINs. He said that they will be putting logic in place to track usage and expect to be able to determine more than 1 EV. I suspect in a world of AI, this isn't hard to do. So between the 10 year commitment, them forcing me to remove my Tesla Wall Charger and 1 EV, I declined.

Fast forward to today. I have been on the FPL TOU plan for 3 months. So instead of adding $31/$38 per month by contract, my bill went down for the last 3 months. We don't have kids so not only can we always charge off peak, we can shift our washer/dryer and dishwasher higher power items to off peak.

Off peak= 7.6c/kwh
On peak=29c/kwh

First 3 months, saved $50-$55 each month. No additional fees of $31-$38/month.
So with 2 or more EV's, call FPL and ask them to run a report projecting the savings. Mine was pretty close. Its free. It may work for you.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
It depends on your power demands and your daytime use case. Being on TOU with my wife working from home running ac and all her daily activities and my daily 60kwh charge, we were spending $400/mo on electricity. The rate offset during peak is the biggest issue.

You can’t be on TOU with the charger program so it brings the on peak rate back to normal.

As far as the billing goes, the enelX reports total power consumption through the FPL EV app and a credit is applied to your monthly bill in units of kWh.

So if my monthly read is 3500kWh and 2000 of that passed through the charger, then I’ll only be billed for the 1500kWh at the standard rates.

• Informative
Reactions: gnxs and brkaus
It depends on your power demands and your daytime use case. Being on TOU with my wife working from home running ac and all her daily activities and my daily 60kwh charge, we were spending $400/mo on electricity. The rate offset during peak is the biggest issue.

You can’t be on TOU with the charger program so it brings the on peak rate back to normal.

As far as the billing goes, the enelX reports total power consumption through the FPL EV app and a credit is applied to your monthly bill in units of kWh.

So if my monthly read is 3500kWh and 2000 of that passed through the charger, then I’ll only be billed for the 1500kWh at the standard rates.
Daily 60kwh is significant, you do a lot of driving. I wouldn't think TOU makes sense for people working from home in Florida. Especially with one EV.

My 2 Tesla's don't add up to your charging per week. Assuming 5 days commute, 60kWh daily is 300kWh of course. I think we are about 100-150 per week.

Are you on still on TOU and seeing a big benefit? You stated you were spending $400/month. Was that with or without TOU?

Exactly.

We do alot of driving, so this works out really well for us. I doubt FPL cares about more than one EV since all the usage is off-peak when presumably there is excess supply.

Exactly.

We do alot of driving, so this works out really well for us. I doubt FPL cares about more than one EV since all the usage is off-peak when presumably there is excess supply.
Don't bet on the not caring. They are a public utility and rates are filed with the PSC. They cannot legally look the other way. I was told that they are evaluating methods to determine who has multiple EVs, as a multi-EV plan is coming.

I am not an attorney but I learned not to physically sign or e-sign contracts and then intend to violate them, and publish that on social media.

Don't bet on the not caring. They are a public utility and rates are filed with the PSC. They cannot legally look the other way. I was told that they are evaluating methods to determine who has multiple EVs, as a multi-EV plan is coming.

I am not an attorney but I learned not to physically sign or e-sign contracts and then intend to violate them, and publish that on social media.
The charger is connected to WiFi. FPL has all the data they want and more. I'm sure they'll enforce the 1 EV rule when the program grows more. If it hadn't been for that 10 year term I would've signed up for the program

Reactions: golferguy
Hi, I happened to see this thread and decided to register to share my experience. I signed up for the program and have the FPL charger for about 2 months now. It was a great deal for me, before I just had a 16 AMP charger that was not permitted. For $38, I got professional, permitted install, and 40 AMP service. My panel is 150 AMP and they said it's fine. The off peak hours are pretty generous and now in the morning I'm fully charged.

I calculated from my bill what I would have paid in charging and it came out to $35. So for a few extra dollars, having the professional install, permit, and they'll fix the charger if it breaks is worth it, not to mention they are raising regular electric rates so this partially insulates from the rate hikes.

• Informative
Reactions: gnxs and brkaus
Daily 60kwh is significant, you do a lot of driving. I wouldn't think TOU makes sense for people working from home in Florida. Especially with one EV.

My 2 Tesla's don't add up to your charging per week. Assuming 5 days commute, 60kWh daily is 300kWh of course. I think we are about 100-150 per week.

Are you on still on TOU and seeing a big benefit? You stated you were spending $400/month. Was that with or without TOU?
I had to get off the TOU in order to apply for the charger installation.