Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FPL Advertisement about EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Word of advice: Make sure you have EXCELLENT wifi coverage where the charger is installed. I had my signal go out while the car was charging, and that session didn't register. It was billed at the on-peak rate.
My last bill showed $3.90 billed for peak charging this period even though the charger is set to only charge during off-peak times. I have good wi-fi coverage in the garage, but perhaps wi-fi connectivity is the reason. 🤨 I'll need to keep a close eye on this.

Other than that the program is working great.

Had it installed last week. Contractor was good, no issues with install. Working as intended. We will see how it works out as we see the first few bills roll in.View attachment 910071
New here! Asking you because I saw the pic of the PW and believe you might have a response for my question.

I just got my Tesla Solar + PW installed yesterday. I also have a FPL Evolution Home Charger order on the way to have my Tesla Connector Charger replaced with this. How do you manage your Solar + PW system now that you have the FPL Evolution Home charger installed? Is it on a sub panel that's not connected to gateway?

Here's my thinking on this (noob here), if it's connected to the electrical panel where your Tesla Gateway is managing, then your Solar and PW is powering the FPL Evolution Home charging system, no? My thought is, you would have to either connect the new FPL Evolution charger to a different electrical panel that's not linked to your Solar + PW gateway setup so that it's not taking up Solar or PW power, to power it (run) OR you could essentially have the FPL Evolution charger installed as an additional charger, next to but not on your Solar+PW gateway system so that you use it all the time and when experiencing a power outage, you start using your Tesla Connector Charger.

Sorry if I made that sound confusing. I guess what I'm really looking to know is, how did you pair it with your Tesla Solar+PW setup where it doesn't draw power from the Tesla Solar+PW system?

Thanks!
Jay

New here! Asking you because I saw the pic of the PW and believe you might have a response for my question.

I just got my Tesla Solar + PW installed yesterday. I also have a FPL Evolution Home Charger order on the way to have my Tesla Connector Charger replaced with this. How do you manage your Solar + PW system now that you have the FPL Evolution Home charger installed? Is it on a sub panel that's not connected to gateway?

Here's my thinking on this (noob here), if it's connected to the electrical panel where your Tesla Gateway is managing, then your Solar and PW is powering the FPL Evolution Home charging system, no? My thought is, you would have to either connect the new FPL Evolution charger to a different electrical panel that's not linked to your Solar + PW gateway setup so that it's not taking up Solar or PW power, to power it (run) OR you could essentially have the FPL Evolution charger installed as an additional charger, next to but not on your Solar+PW gateway system so that you use it all the time and when experiencing a power outage, you start using your Tesla Connector Charger.

Sorry if I made that sound confusing. I guess what I'm really looking to know is, how did you pair it with your Tesla Solar+PW setup where it doesn't draw power from the Tesla Solar+PW system?

Thanks!
Jay
Jay,

FPL added the home charger to come off my regular standard electric panel just like every other device in the house. Most of the charging on that program for me is done at night, so power will come from the grid. If the car is charging during sunlight hours (before noon based on the programs' off-peak time at this time of year), then my solar will partially power the charging of the car and the grid will supply the rest of what's needed to provide 40A.

My powerwalls are set up strictly as a backup power source. In the event of an outage, they (or the solar system during daylight hours) would provide power to the entire house, including the FPL charger.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe that is the way it functions for me. I hope I answered your question.

Larry.

Mine won't even start charging if my Wifi goes out. It just flashes yellow until wifi is restored
Jay,

FPL added the home charger to come off my regular standard electric panel just like every other device in the house. Most of the charging on that program for me is done at night, so power will come from the grid. If the car is charging during sunlight hours (before noon based on the programs' off-peak time at this time of year), then my solar will partially power the charging of the car and the grid will supply the rest of what's needed to provide 40A.

My powerwalls are set up strictly as a backup power source. In the event of an outage, they (or the solar system during daylight hours) would provide power to the entire house, including the FPL charger.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe that is the way it functions for me. I hope I answered your question.

Larry.
Thanks for the quick and early morning response! I think it does answer my question. So FPL will see that reading their charger is pulling to power your car(s) at night and will know that that's strictly their charger and not home use. I see since you have your PW system not feed the house at night, it's not really a concern for your situation and setup.

Maybe I have the FPL charger installed as an additional charger to my Tesla one, and ask if they can install it to a sub panel, where the Tesla gateway is not reading it.

Ideally, this would make sense for me to keep FPL charging on grid-only and away from Tesla Solar and PW so that I take advantage of the pricing of nights and weekend charging, easily saving me $70-80 a month in electricity cost AND separately have the Tesla Solar and PW, just provide power for the house annnndddd the, what will be, Tesla backup charger, if power is lost and I'd use Solar+PW to charge the car.

Maybe I have the FPL charger installed as an additional charger to my Tesla one, and ask if they can install it to a sub panel, where the Tesla gateway is not reading it.

Ideally, this would make sense for me to keep FPL charging on grid-only and away from Tesla Solar and PW so that I take advantage of the pricing of nights and weekend charging, easily saving me $70-80 a month in electricity cost AND separately have the Tesla Solar and PW, just provide power for the house annnndddd the, what will be, Tesla backup charger, if power is lost and I'd use Solar+PW to charge the car.
FPL won't add their charger and leave the Tesla one. They told me the Tesla one gets removed. They can tell its there due to the breakers and wiring in the box. If you remove it from the wall, they will reuse the wiring. Consider the Tesla one gets a 60A line and FPL one a 50A line so unless you have more than a 200A panel, you will most likely exceed all code/safety limits.

If they let you keep Tesla one, you would never use theirs during peak times you would use the Tesla one defeating the purpose and economics of the program.

FPL won't add their charger and leave the Tesla one. They told me the Tesla one gets removed. They can tell its there due to the breakers and wiring in the box. If you remove it from the wall, they will reuse the wiring. Consider the Tesla one gets a 60A line and FPL one a 50A line so unless you have more than a 200A panel, you will most likely exceed all code/safety limits.

If they let you keep Tesla one, you would never use theirs during peak times you would use the Tesla one defeating the purpose and economics of the program.
Thanks for the input and good to know!

That is not true. I have the FPL charger installed and I also kept my existing Tesla charger. I could have had them replace the Tesla Charger and sign onto the program for $31/mo., but I decided to have them spec out, permit and install an additional line ($38/mo. program). I have a 200A panel. Like you mentioned, maybe that is the reason I was able to keep it.

The FPL charger comes preset to charge during "off-peak" only and that's the way I kept it in the settings. I use my Tesla charger if I need to charge during "peak" hours.

From my understanding, the main benefit of the program to FPL was to help load shift charging to off-peak hours when usage is lower so they could balance their power generation better. I don't think they were looking to reap alot of money for "peak" charging, especially since it comes pre-programmed not to charge during those hours.

That is not true. I have the FPL charger installed and I also kept my existing Tesla charger. I could have had them replace the Tesla Charger and sign onto the program for $31/mo., but I decided to have them spec out, permit and install an additional line ($38/mo. program). I have a 200A panel. Like you mentioned, maybe that is the reason I was able to keep it.

The FPL charger comes preset to charge during "off-peak" only and that's the way I kept it in the settings. I use my Tesla charger if I need to charge during "peak" hours.

From my understanding, the main benefit of the program to FPL was to help load shift charging to off-peak hours when usage is lower so they could balance their power generation better. I don't think they were looking to reap alot of money for "peak" charging, especially since it comes pre-programmed not to charge during those hours.
WOW, they let you keep your Tesla charger in place? They told me they would remove mine. One of the reasons I declined during early rollout. How lucky you are. You are getting around the 24c per kwh peak penalty with the FPL one.

But I can't imagine you are within code with a 200A panel, 110A in chargers breakers, A/C, Hot water and electric stove? Good luck to you and I hope you are careful.

Very helpful response and glad you were able to add golferguy's input. It seems as if the scenario I was providing is possible then.

So to confirm with your setup, your EV that is charging using the FPL Charger is not taking power from the Solar+PW system even though you're on the same electrical panel? Meaning, FPL sees the FPL charger you're using to charge your EV during off-peak hours and just charges you the $38/month.

Again, my goal is to have my Solar+PW cover the house use, while the FPL Charger covers the EV charging at a low fixed rate. My Solar+PW can't cover both the house and EV charging without pulling from the grid, resulting in an extra $100 in electricity a month.

Anyone else having problems with their charger? Mine is randomly charging on peak while set to offpeak. Today is the second time and worse, it has now decided that it will not go back to scheduled mode and is just ready to charge at all times. I have the wall box charger, I can't believe I"m the only one with this issue. I also can't believe that FPL released this program without proper customer support.

Do you have good wi-fi coverage near the charger? Mine sometimes drops even though it's sitting next to a dedicated wi-fi access point.
If it has no wifi it won't charge at all, but I've never heard of it charging during onpeak while scheduled for off-peak.

Do you have good wi-fi coverage near the charger? Mine sometimes drops even though it's sitting next to a dedicated wi-fi access point.
If it has no wifi it won't charge at all, but I've never heard of it charging during onpeak while scheduled for off-peak.
Yes, Wifi is awesome around the house, I finally heard back from FPL, it only took complaining to the Florida public service commission and the BBB for them to get off there butts. They were telling me 5 to 10 business days to get back to me when this was the second time it happened. Anyway, the person called me back this morning and said its a known FPL issue and that they are working on it. That makes me feel better. And they confirmed in writing that I won't be charged for on peak charging while the charger is set to offpeak only. Of course they did say they can't stop the bill from coming, they would have to correct it after so I'm not sure if that means I"m going to be paying a 500+ dollar bill and then get a credit on the next bill which isn't so helpful.

My FPL charger was finally installed a week ago. I didn't know if it was possible to keep my current outlet and install a new charger, but I thought it might be a good option. But when I heard that I would have to wait 2-3 months for the full installation, and the charger alone could be installed in three weeks, I didn't even ask about the other option.

In addition, I calculated that the full installation would cost me $84 more per year ($31 vs $38/month). So if the 1 kWh in pick hours costs me about 10 cents more than the regular price (23 cents vs. 13 cents), I would have to use 840 kWh a year during peak hours to make it worthwhile (leaving a socket). I don't think I'll use it.

The biggest downside for me was the lack of an unlock button to release the charger.

But since I have automated my house with the Home Assistant, I added a Lutron Pico switch that completely solved this problem.
I programmed the switch to open and close the charging port and unlock the charger. And I don't even need to have my car keys (iPhone) with me.
I also used two additional buttons to turn the lights on/off and open/close the garage door.

It works perfectly and is even more convenient than the Tesla charger.

1698286807581.png

My FPL charger was finally installed a week ago. I didn't know if it was possible to keep my current outlet and install a new charger, but I thought it might be a good option. But when I heard that I would have to wait 2-3 months for the full installation, and the charger alone could be installed in three weeks, I didn't even ask about the other option.

In addition, I calculated that the full installation would cost me $84 more per year ($31 vs $38/month). So if the 1 kWh in pick hours costs me about 10 cents more than the regular price (23 cents vs. 13 cents), I would have to use 840 kWh a year during peak hours to make it worthwhile (leaving a socket). I don't think I'll use it.

The biggest downside for me was the lack of an unlock button to release the charger.

But since I have automated my house with the Home Assistant, I added a Lutron Pico switch that completely solved this problem.
I programmed the switch to open and close the charging port and unlock the charger. And I don't even need to have my car keys (iPhone) with me.
I also used two additional buttons to turn the lights on/off and open/close the garage door.

It works perfectly and is even more convenient than the Tesla charger.

View attachment 985374

Did FPL change the wall chargers they are using? That one is different from mine.

Who makes they one they installed at your place?

I haven't received my first invoice yet (after installation), but I have a question for the group.
Did you receive a contract?
I didn't receive anything. I just filled in the survey, after which they scheduled the appointment and installed the charger.
But I think all these rules from the FAQ should be formally delivered/signed somehow. FAQ can be changed anytime.

Or am I missing something?

One important thing is the price, which should be locked for 10 years. FPL confirmed this during my calls before I applied for the program, but this information is not even included in the FAQ,