Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FPL Advertisement about EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FPL does have a residential TOU they just make it very difficult and hidden. It took multiple calls over weeks to finally get on the plan for me
Yes they do make it difficult. Took 4 months for me. Blamed it on Hurricane Ian last year, but I live across the State.

Also I caught FPL mis-stating the RTR-1 TOU rate plans on last months bills. The bill was correct but where they show the rates they are not being transparent.

Essentially for RS-1 (general public rates), they add in all surcharges to the kwh.
For RTR-1 rates they add in all surcharges to the secondary adders for TOU, making them look less attractive.
They are working hard to discourage TOU. Apparently they don't like it. I saved $60-$66 each month for each of last 6 months with it.

Reactions: Magnus0322
So far, experience has been positive. After filling up the electric survey, I got an email asking to confirm the breaker installed (including a picture) for my Tesla charger.
Replied with the info and they said I would need to have the breaker replaced to a 50A before scheduling with the electrician, so I went ahead and had it replaced. Sent them another email with an updated picture and they reply I would hear back from a FPL contracted electrician within 1-2 weeks.

Charger replaced today. Took about an hour or so. All setup and ready to start charging tonight after 9pm.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 8.14.05 PM.png

A couple questions for you,

1) So are you paying $38 a month for the unit + unlimited nights and weekend charging ? Or is it $38 + a KW electric Fee ?
2) Do you know if they will upgrade cristomers from the J1772 standard to the NAS standard in the future or are you stuck with the J1772 for 10 Years.
3) Can these be placed outside or are they indoor only ?

A couple questions for you,

1) So are you paying $38 a month for the unit + unlimited nights and weekend charging ? Or is it $38 + a KW electric Fee ?
2) Do you know if they will upgrade cristomers from the J1772 standard to the NAS standard in the future or are you stuck with the J1772 for 10 Years.
3) Can these be placed outside or are they indoor only ?

It's just the flat fee, no per KWH unless you charge outside of off peak hours.
No idea. If anything changes on that, it's probably 3-5 years away.
FPL will only install them inside a garage from what I have seen.

Reactions: CRIMSON_DATE
It's just the flat fee, no per KWH unless you charge outside of off peak hours.
No idea. If anything changes on that, it's probably 3-5 years away.
FPL will only install them inside a garage from what I have seen.

Thanks..

Yea this is a no brainer I am paying $70-80 a month for my MY electricity now and my work drive is going to change from 30 miles round trip to 130 miles round trip . I have a 50A outlet in my garage that I use for my compressor so I may just have them install it there for now . I do want another 60A 240 but $7 a month for 10 years is $840 so I would rather install another 60 amp outlet somewhere I want it ( more then 10 feet away ) and save the monthly cost.

Thanks..

Yea this is a no brainer I am paying $70-80 a month for my MY electricity now and my work drive is going to change from 30 miles round trip to 130 miles round trip . I have a 50A outlet in my garage that I use for my compressor so I may just have them install it there for now . I do want another 60A 240 but $7 a month for 10 years is $840 so I would rather install another 60 amp outlet somewhere I want it ( more then 10 feet away ) and save the monthly cost.
$70-80 month for one car with 30 miles RT should not be that high. FPL loaded regular rate is 16c/kwh including taxes and fees. $80/.16=500kW per month.

30 miles roundtrip per day x 30 days = 900 miles. Note that includes weekends too. Lets make it 1000 miles for other local rides.

500kw per month for 1000 miles = 2mi per kW

MY's do much, much better than that. Typically about 3-4 mi/kW. Unless you run Sentry 8 hours/per day and do a lot of cabin cooling.

No doubt this is a good deal as your work commute increases but maybe review your real costs? Did you plug in FPL rates into the Tesla App and what does it show?

$70-80 month for one car with 30 miles RT should not be that high. FPL loaded regular rate is 16c/kwh including taxes and fees. $80/.16=500kW per month.

30 miles roundtrip per day x 30 days = 900 miles. Note that includes weekends too. Lets make it 1000 miles for other local rides.

500kw per month for 1000 miles = 2mi per kW

MY's do much, much better than that. Typically about 3-4 mi/kW. Unless you run Sentry 8 hours/per day and do a lot of cabin cooling.

No doubt this is a good deal as your work commute increases but maybe review your real costs? Did you plug in FPL rates into the Tesla App and what does it show?
I don't get near the rated mileage on my MYP for those reasons , work is about 34 miles round trip and I do have sentry mode on at work which ticks a few percent off a day... The Car is 155 degrees inside in the shade so yea AC is blasting all the time just to keep up (with a roof shade). I am putting about 12k a year on it so that 1k a month is right on) , . My last 31 days from the app was about 461 KWH ( I have 16 cents in the app ) and over the past year about 5384 kwh which still averages $71 a month so that FPL program (TODAY) would save me about $500 a year.

I don't get near the rated mileage on my MYP for those reasons , work is about 34 miles round trip and I do have sentry mode on at work which ticks a few percent off a day... The Car is 155 degrees inside in the shade so yea AC is blasting all the time just to keep up (with a roof shade). I am putting about 12k a year on it so that 1k a month is right on) , . My last 31 days from the app was about 461 KWH ( I have 16 cents in the app ) and over the past year about 5384 kwh which still averages $71 a month so that FPL program (TODAY) would save me about $500 a year.
Thanks for the info, yeah Sentry is the issue.
I deferred FPL Evolution and went FPL TOU. But I have 2 Tesla's. FPL Evolution contract is 1 EV only. And I wasn't crazy about the lower charge rate (I have 11kW now) and 10yr commitment.

$38/month should save you money.

I did the TOU plan with 2 EV's and it turns out, my FPL bill this year is LOWER than month to month last year vs standard rates. Temp is higher, rates and higher and I lowered my overall bill. So instead of paying $31/$38 extra, my net bill dropped. Unexpected. If you think you might get a second EV in the next few years, consider TOU. Call FPL, speak to energy dept and they will run an estimate. They projected a 20% monthly savings for me vs standard rates and they nailed it. You can try it for 4-6 weeks and go back to standard if its not for you. No penalty

Thanks for the info, yeah Sentry is the issue.
I deferred FPL Evolution and went FPL TOU. But I have 2 Tesla's. FPL Evolution contract is 1 EV only. And I wasn't crazy about the lower charge rate (I have 11kW now) and 10yr commitment.

$38/month should save you money.

I did the TOU plan with 2 EV's and it turns out, my FPL bill this year is LOWER than month to month last year vs standard rates. Temp is higher, rates and higher and I lowered my overall bill. So instead of paying $31/$38 extra, my net bill dropped. Unexpected. If you think you might get a second EV in the next few years, consider TOU. Call FPL, speak to energy dept and they will run an estimate. They projected a 20% monthly savings for me vs standard rates and they nailed it. You can try it for 4-6 weeks and go back to standard if its not for you. No penalty

The TIerd plan isn't for me ... Even with 11KW of solar I am using 3000-4000 KW a month. I do plan to have 2 EV's and I will be running them off of the Evolution box. They really have no way to track it and even if they do the next vehicle will likely have the ability to charge other vehicles so I could just charge the second EV from the first..

The TIerd plan isn't for me ... Even with 11KW of solar I am using 3000-4000 KW a month. I do plan to have 2 EV's and I will be running them off of the Evolution box. They really have no way to track it and even if they do the next vehicle will likely have the ability to charge other vehicles so I could just charge the second EV from the first..
There actually is a way to track it. VIN capture is possible and each each car creates a unique footprint for charging. The charger knows much about the car, there is a data stream. They cannot ignore it, they are a public utility beholding to shareholders and the PSC. FPL employees do monitor this thread so maybe never a good idea to sign a contract knowing you will breach it.

But I do like your daisy chaining vehicles, thats cool. Good luck to you.