Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fraser Island

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite the obvious differences between a Tesla Y or X and a 4X4 (clearance and large side wall tyres for airing down) that will make it a fools errand, the biggest problem for the future electric 4x4's, will be range unfortunately. Anyone who has driven on Fraser, knows you go through fuel like no tomorrow, at high tide especially and inland tracks where soft sand is the norm. Its a huge island and everything you do there recreationally calls for lots of sand driving, in fact that is all the driving you will do. Sand driving uses lots of energy, it's possible to use double the fuel or more per km in tough conditions. Off grid vehicle charging (being an Island) would need to be established, which will be very expensive to do, especially a fast DC charger. I'm only guessing, but I think you will use more % of electricity in these conditions than a diesel motor would use in fuel. I'm really keen on a Rivian (R1T or R1S), but have thought about this problem a fair bit. Fraser is one my favourite places on earth and would love to do it in a an electric vehicle, one day..

Last edited:
You'd be an absolute idiot to take a Tesla onto Fraser. You wouldn't get past Inskip point for a start. Tesla, despite what morons on youtube will have you believe, are absolutely not offroad vehicles. The soft sands of Fraser would mean it's impossible to drive one around.
What about off the ferry to the King Fisher Bay Resort'? I've never been there so I have no idea of the condition of that track. I see availability of 4x4 hire from there.

The thing about driving on sand at Fraser island is you need not only a high clearance 4wd but also you will need to reduce your tyre pressure to something like 18psi. Those low profile tyres on the Tesla are not suitable either
Also there is no electricity apart from the couple of resorts there but they operate off generators.

Reactions: brewster
What about off the ferry to the King Fisher Bay Resort'? I've never been there so I have no idea of the condition of that track. I see availability of 4x4 hire from there.
Sure, you can get to Kingfisher Bay resort, but you can't get any further than driving around the resort. Immediately when leaving the resort, there is a massive sand hill right outside the resort gates. No way a Tesla would get up or down it. The inland tracks are way harder than beach driving, you need a proper 4wd to traverse them, and most people have lifts too. Fraser Island is not for the faint hearted, and inland tracks are impossible to access unless you have a real 4wd. You can get away on the Eastern side of the island beach driving in something moderately capable like a Subaru Outback, if the conditions are good, but you can't go very far North, and you can't go inland. And a Subaru Outback is a million times more capable than a Tesla.

Why being insulting?
That's not an insult, that's a statement of fact. It's only insulting if someone actually did it. And if someone did, then it's a valid insult. Fraser Island has some of the toughest offroad terrain in the country, and it's all offroad driving. Taking a Tesla there is like wearing a pair of speedos at Mount Buller in the middle of winter.

Reactions: Quickst