Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freak Hail Storm!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I've had my new Model Y for three days. Last evening around 8PM, just after it had gotten completely dark, a small freak storm rolled over that dumped golf ball size hail on my new car (and two others in the driveway). After the storm passed we examined the cars and noticed some damage on the others but really couldn't spot damage on the Tesla. This morning however with better light I've found at least 3 very small dents in the hood. As soon as the car is dry, I'll inspect for more damage. Since I have a high deductible on my insurance, there may not even be an insurance claim. I'll try and take pictures, but it is hard getting the dings to show up.

My question, what is the right way to start the process on getting an estimate? Do I do my own search for a Tesla certified body shop? Do I submit a service request via the Tesla App? Where do I start?

The Tesla Service Center Manager in Raleigh mentioned they had a "PDR" person they use for Tesla work. Going to first talk to my insurance and see what they say then contact Tesla SC. After a real long examination, I've found one that needs to be fixed, no question, and 4 others that I can eventually find, but will see what they say.

• Funny
Reactions: raggedy
After a $40k+ hit to our Model S by a massive hail storm, we invested in this inflatable cover to protect it from future events. It installs in about three minutes and inflates in another three or four minutes. We toss it on when we think an impending storm might bring hail. The videos on the manufacturer's site show them dropping bricks from a tower and the cover protects the car without any difficulty. It can be inflated by AC power, a battery pack, or the car's 12V. The only shortcoming is that truly unexpected hail storms can't be protected against.

hail protector.png

Our 2017 Model S was in a big hail storm several years ago. We noticed 4 or 5 minor dents and took it in for PDR. IIRC, they were able to find about 13 dents total and were able to quickly and cheaply fix all of them. I don't remember the exact cost but I think it was less than $600 to fix all dents.

The Tesla Service Center Manager in Raleigh mentioned they had a "PDR" person they use for Tesla work. Going to first talk to my insurance and see what they say then contact Tesla SC. After a real long examination, I've found one that needs to be fixed, no question, and 4 others that I can eventually find, but will see what they say.
Insurance co will probably prefer you use PDR.