Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free charging points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the ENGIE chargers in West Yorkshire were always scheduled to stop free charging this year but I agree it’s a shame. There’s one just up the road from me at a council car park outside a Tesco, I normally park up whenever I’m doing my shopping at Morrison’s next door 😃

One thing that had been nice from the council though is that if you were charging (for free) you didn’t pay to park so it was a nice double win.

Reactions: Llama.
Thanks for this. They confirmed this in an email to me as well. Shame, I was enjoying the free charging! I knew it was too good to be true.

We’ll it’s happened. My local Engie charger has gone from free to £0.42 per kWh for charging as expected on 28 November.

Just checked my charging history with Engie and have managed to charge just over 480 kWh for free since March 2021.

I suppose I can’t complain, but I’ll definitely be using my OctopusEnergy off peak rate of £0.05 per kWh loads more now.

Ah well….

We’ll it’s happened. My local Engie charger has gone from free to £0.42 per kWh for charging as expected on 28 November.

Just checked my charging history with Engie and have managed to charge just over 480 kWh for free since March 2021.

I suppose I can’t complain, but I’ll definitely be using my OctopusEnergy off peak rate of £0.05 per kWh loads more now.

Ah well….

£24 saved.

Yorkshire must be proud!
:)

I’ve just added up all my uses since May 2020 and at £0.42 per kWh I’ve saved a smidge over £200 - shame it’s gone now 😂

Could you have charged at home? In which case the saving would be much smaller and you can now benefit from charging whilst asleep for sake of 30 seconds plugging in and disconnecting.

I was in a recent survey with DfT OZEV about third party charging and mentioned that free charging was beginning to cause a conflict of interests between those that could charge at home but preferred to charge for free on public networks, those that could not charge at home but needed reliable, reasonably priced third party charging and the third party charge operators who needed to install, maintain the network and maintain a viable and sustainable business case.

Having reasonably priced third party charging that still allowed the operator to make a small profit is imho a big factor to keeping third party charge networks pertinent, reliable and sustainable (and I'm not just referring to climate and resources etc)

Could you have charged at home? In which case the saving would be much smaller and you can now benefit from charging whilst asleep for sake of 30 seconds plugging in and disconnecting.

I was in a recent survey with DfT OZEV about third party charging and mentioned that free charging was beginning to cause a conflict of interests between those that could charge at home but preferred to charge for free on public networks, those that could not charge at home but needed reliable, reasonably priced third party charging and the third party charge operators who needed to install, maintain the network and maintain a viable and sustainable business case.

Having reasonably priced third party charging that still allowed the operator to make a small profit is imho a big factor to keeping third party charge networks pertinent, reliable and sustainable (and I'm not just referring to climate and resources etc)
Yeah, lockdown pushed the install of our charger back a fair bit so I just kept on top of the battery every few days. Not used much since that was installed as it’s so much easier to plug in at home. Also as you say the comparison of free charging against octopus go isn’t enough for me to bother driving the 5 mins to the charger and waiting for it to charge.

Completely agree about the cost of Charing though being reasonable for all involved - not sure what price I’d call reasonable, maybe 25-30p (i.e. somewhere around double what I pay at home through the day would be ok with me).

@HenryT, I am from Yorkshire so something for nothing is always appreciated 🤣

Reactions: Llama.
One hope I do have is that now the cost is 42p/kWh, the maintenance and reliability will improve to match. The cost is on the upper end of acceptable I think; Instavolt are 40p, but their reliability is considered excellent and the Engie network around Yorkshire has been pretty woeful at times.

£0.42 per kWh is way too much for 50 kw charging in a town centre. That would be over £17for a charge from 20% to 80% in my M3 LR.

If it’s £0.15 during the day at home. I’d say £0.25 per kWh at these sorts of destination chargers seems fair.

£0.42 per kWh is way too much for 50 kw charging in a town centre. That would be over £17for a charge from 20% to 80% in my M3 LR.

If it’s £0.15 during the day at home. I’d say £0.25 per kWh at these sorts of destination chargers seems fair.
Its a rapid, not a destination charger, theres an overstay fine for over 90 minutes, destination chargers don't have these. There's a big difference in cost of provision for the network. A 7kW or even 22kW AC post costs much less to install than a 50kW charger, which requires a more costly grid connection. Most rapids are getting close to the 40p/kWh mark these days. BP Pulse are one of the few less than 30p. What the new Geniepoint rate does mean is that folk will only use them when they need to.

Reactions: NewbieT
Moderator comment - post renamed for clarity from "Free Charging" and "Disappearing free charging points"

Hi

I’m a but disappointed as I thought there were a lot more free charging points.

I’ve increased the radius but can only find Costco (I am a member) and Tesco both are about 40 minutes drive.

I thought there would be a few more free chargers for a little top up.
Move to Scotland lol