Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharger Miles - Expiring in March

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1,000 miles worth of supercharging over 6 months isn't going to make any noticeable difference in the degradation of your battery.

I’m in the same situation. Picked my car up in September with 1000 referral miles.

Although I’ve not been going out much, I’m fortunate enough that there are 3 different Superchargers within 11 miles of where I live so I’ve only ever used Superchargers so far. I’ll be having a final free top up in 3 weeks and will then be looking at getting a charger installed at home.

Reactions: Mperkins28
I’m fortunate enough that there are 3 different Superchargers within 11 miles of where I live so I’ve only ever used Superchargers so far. I’ll be having a final free top up in 3 weeks and will then be looking at getting a charger installed at home.

If you’ve been okay getting by with the Superchargers, which Are likely just the slower destination chargers where you have to sit there for 30-60, why spend the $1-2,000 on a gone charger.
Given you’re willingness to wait on charging as well as not pay for charging by spending the additional 20 mile round trip just to get free charging; once it’s gone why not just charge at only with 15 or 20A standard outlet while you sleep with off hours rates.

Just curious.

Yes. The irritation from having things just not work properly, and the way things that were working reasonably well just randomly stop working, has been seriously winding me up for months now. The basic car is great, but it's badly let down by stuff that looks to be fairly straightforward to sort out, IMHO. As there seems to be zero interest from Tesla in sorting out these really basic issues, I'm opting for a car with slightly worse performance, but which will be, at least, more consistent in the way it behaves.

I'll no doubt miss the performance a bit, but thinking rationally, I only ever use the performance for short bursts of a few seconds, whereas things like the wipers and lights not working properly, being unable to now see the speed display, the car randomly applying the brakes, sounding warning klaxons and swerving across road happens all the time.

Apologies for going a long way off topic, but have you mentioned what the replacement might be yet?

(I have followed the discussions on your wife's choices for her car, but assume the Renault won't be a shared resource.)

Reactions: Mperkins28
Apologies for going a long way off topic, but have you mentioned what the replacement might be yet?

(I have followed the discussions on your wife's choices for her car, but assume the Renault won't be a shared resource.)

Not yet - I haven't yet concluded the deal, nor have I agreed the sale of my Model 3, so I'm keeping things under wraps for now. My wife has committed to buying a Renault Zoe, though, she's just waiting to get a delivery date. So, before long we won't have any IC engines here at all, even the garden stuff is now all electric.

If you’ve been okay getting by with the Superchargers, which Are likely just the slower destination chargers where you have to sit there for 30-60, why spend the $1-2,000 on a gone charger.
Given you’re willingness to wait on charging as well as not pay for charging by spending the additional 20 mile round trip just to get free charging; once it’s gone why not just charge at only with 15 or 20A standard outlet while you sleep with off hours rates.

Just curious.

I’ve done less than 400 miles since the end of September so have only topped up a few times. Also, my evenings and weekends have been empty as I can’t indulge in my usual hobbies due to the pandemic and so I have plenty of spare time at the weekend and I don’t mind going out to top up. I’ve also been working from home, which I don’t normally do, so it’s an excuse to take the car out. The cost isn’t a big factor to me, it’s more of an excuse to get out.

When things eventually return to normal, I’d much prefer to have the convenience of a decent charging set up at home with a tethered charger rather than stopping at Superchargers when I’ll be busier than I am now, especially so in the winter as most of my travelling is done then travelling around the country watching the football (soccer if you are reading from across the pond). At the moment I’m in no rush to get kitted out with my Andersen charger.

Just got this reply from Tesla!

upload_2021-3-1_11-44-55.png

Miserable gits! How hard can it be to offer some actual customer service and extend by a couple of months!

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-1_11-44-42.png
    upload_2021-3-1_11-44-42.png
    435.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Informative
Reactions: Gamemeister
Let's get things in proportion. 1000 free miles sounds like a good incentive if you are used to a 25mpg Merc or Porsche but if you have Octopus Go we are talking £50. 500 miles left and it's £25 less the inconvenience and cost of getting to the supercharger.
I lost 500 free miles due to Covid as well but having spent £50000 on the car I'm not going to cry over £25 when I can charge while I sleep. I can get free charging at Charge Place Scotland but I can't be bothered getting my car dirty to save £1.50.
Ok it would be nice to charge free when going a distance if going a distance was permitted. Wait a minute, I'm going on holiday from Manchester Airport. 500 free miles would cover it. Drat, flight cancelled.

Let's get things in proportion. 1000 free miles sounds like a good incentive if you are used to a 25mpg Merc or Porsche but if you have Octopus Go we are talking £50. 500 miles left and it's £25 less the inconvenience and cost of getting to the supercharger.
I lost 500 free miles due to Covid as well but having spent £50000 on the car I'm not going to cry over £25 when I can charge while I sleep. I can get free charging at Charge Place Scotland but I can't be bothered getting my car dirty to save £1.50.
Ok it would be nice to charge free when going a distance if going a distance was permitted. Wait a minute, I'm going on holiday from Manchester Airport. 500 free miles would cover it. Drat, flight cancelled.

Yes suppose when you put it that way it’s not worth worrying about. I just don’t like to let free stuff go!

Until recently I would drive out of my way to shop at Tesco to get free charging while we shopped for 30 minutes or so. Then I realised it was only saving me pennies on topping back up at home on Octopus Go.

Reactions: Dougall1248
I feel like a schmuck... here I am trying to find out if my remaining miles expire ON THE DAY or can I still charge on the day of expiry but some ppl haven't been able to use theirs at all! But, does anyone know the answer to my question?

I feel like a schmuck... here I am trying to find out if my remaining miles expire ON THE DAY or can I still charge on the day of expiry but some ppl haven't been able to use theirs at all! But, does anyone know the answer to my question?

Past reports would suggest your miles will expire at 00:01 on that last day quoted so yeah, you have to use up all you can by the end of the penultimate day!

With the first EV I’d driven (BMW i3) I remember going out of my way to drive to a free rapid charger, and then either sitting in the car for an hour or more, 20 miles from the creature comforts of home, or going to a local pub for some food and completely negating the benefit of the free charge!

People get a bit weird with free stuff and lose perspective. The free supercharging you get isn’t worth that much in monetary terms, and if you actually rely on supercharging then chances are you’d use them up before expiry anyway.

I barely used my free miles because I’m too far from a supercharger and it’s not on an organic route that I typically take, so just had to accept that it expired.

Reactions: init6
I remember going out of my way to drive to a free rapid charger, and then either sitting in the car for an hour or more, 20 miles from the creature comforts of home, or going to a local pub for some food and completely negating the benefit of the free charge! Completely illogical!

People get a bit weird with free stuff and lose perspective. The free supercharging you get isn’t worth that much in monetary terms, and if you actually rely on supercharging then chances are you’d use them up before expiry anyway.

I barely used my free miles because I’m too far from a supercharger and it’s not on an organic route that I typically take, so just had to accept that it expired

You are lucky to have any. I tried using the referral and the scheme has closed
Miles referral program finished 18-Sep-2021 - just before they opened the order book for Model Y in UK :cool:

1,000 Supercharger miles @ 3 miles per kWh and £0.26 [couldn't find actual current price] at Supercharger is £86, and if charged at home on good overnight rate, say, 7.5p is £25-quid ... it was more of a phycological lever than a money saving, although someone like Bjørn Nyland who got loads of referrals got several lifetimes of miles!

Miles referral program finished 18-Sep-2021 - just before they opened the order book for Model Y in UK :cool:

1,000 Supercharger miles @ 3 miles per kWh and £0.26 [couldn't find actual current price] at Supercharger is £86, and if charged at home on good overnight rate, say, 7.5p is £25-quid ... it was more of a phycological lever than a money saving, although someone like Bjørn Nyland who got loads of referrals got several lifetimes of miles!
Of course it is a psychological lever but if you do it in terms of Petrol I would save around 200 quid give or take! So it is not all bad when I get only 10 quid mat and some cupholder as an option when you compare the other dealers.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
in terms of Petrol I would save around 200 quid give or take!

Ah ... Man Maths at work :)

Sure, for anyone that actually needed to stop at a Supercharger on an out-of-range trip Free Miles is a benefit :cool: ... but to go to Supercharger and sit there to get the benefit, assuming home charging available and on a decent overnight tariff ... then personally speaking my time is worth a lot more to me than that.

I'm happy that the 10 minutes a week I now save, not standing on a forecourt pumping petrol and then queuing to pay, is saving me 8 hours a year.

Although it occurs to me that I don't rush back to the car when it has enough miles to get me home, when dawdling will get me a few more for free.

depends on where you spend them - i save mine for roadtrips and still have 2150 to use in Germany this summer, over there it is around 45c kwh so these miles are worth around £400 and my trip to France/Spain last year didn't cost a penny.