Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharger Miles - Expiring in March

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was given the free 1000 SuperCharger miles by using a referral code when I took delivery of my M3 LR back in September. Due to lockdown and travel restrictions I still have almost 500 left to use and these are due to expire on March 11th.

I have tried contacting Tesla CS to see if they would consider extending the expiry date as a good will gesture in recognition of the COVID restrictions, but unsurprisingly they don't seem interested in pursuing that idea!

My nearest SC would be in Havant or Norton Park which is in excess of 120 mile round trip or Fleet Services on route to London etc.

Do others think I should let it go knowing that at least I made good use of half of them, or use it as an excuse to go out for a nice long drive and make use of some of the remaining SC miles? However, I worry this could get me in trouble if I were to get stopped as its an unnecessary journey.

I was given the free 1000 SuperCharger miles by using a referral code when I took delivery of my M3 LR back in September. Due to lockdown and travel restrictions I still have almost 500 left to use and these are due to expire on March 11th.

I have tried contacting Tesla CS to see if they would consider extending the expiry date as a good will gesture in recognition of the COVID restrictions, but unsurprisingly they don't seem interested in pursuing that idea!

My nearest SC would be in Havant or Norton Park which is in excess of 120 mile round trip or Fleet Services on route to London etc.

Do others think I should let it go knowing that at least I made good use of half of them, or use it as an excuse to go out for a nice long drive and make use of some of the remaining SC miles? However, I worry this could get me in trouble if I were to get stopped as its an unnecessary journey.

You’ve done better than me at using them up :)

I’d let them go and not worry about it, but if your bored and want to go a drive by all means do so, I did a few random drives when I first got the car just for the sake of driving it somewhere and is essentially the only reason I’ve used any of the free miles I got!

Started trying to use some of my free miles up yesterday, used a supercharger for the very first time ,despite having more than enough charge to get home. As my car is going to be sold soon, I think, I may just stop charging at home and drive ~20 miles to the nearest supercharger to keep it topped up, just to try and use some of the free miles. Right now I have around 1,900 free miles left that expire in December this year.

When I asked at the tail end of last year I got a different response from them:

7EBD89A5-3E4E-462D-8BC6-048809BAAC61.jpeg

You are lucky you got free miles at all. I have battled with Tesla to get our free miles on several occasions with them agreeing that they are owing us free miles and even having it in writing but because Tesla is so unorganized they can’t get things done. They have gone as far as saying they don’t know who has the authority to make it happen. We have a few Teslas and I had one car that had unlimited free SC that was using up my referral miles for quite a while and their response was there really isn’t anything they can do to restore them. I love Tesla cars, it would be awesome if it was another car company building them though.

When I asked at the tail end of last year I got a different response from them:

View attachment 640499

Ahh I will try again in that case. I wasn't aware of that email address. I used [email protected] and got this response:

The terms and conditions for the referral code is that the miles are valid for 6 months. At the moment there is no news on whether we are going to be extending the validity on those. If we do then our current customers with miles left will be contacted first in regards to this.

My response to this was:

Perhaps this is something you could please raise and escalate to the Tesla management team as this would be an obvious gesture of good will for all existing customers in light of the current circumstances?

Perhaps pass it on to Elon himself

Last edited:
I think I’m going to rebook my appointment at the Winchester SC to resolve the rear door alignment issue I reported on collection back in September. I cancelled the original appointment in January due to the travel restrictions and I couldn’t justify a 100 mile round trip just to fix a mere cosmetic issue.

If I can get an appointment before my miles expire I could then nip up to the Norton Park SuperCharger before returning home. At least I would get a few more free miles out of Tesla.

Started trying to use some of my free miles up yesterday, used a supercharger for the very first time ,despite having more than enough charge to get home. As my car is going to be sold soon, I think, I may just stop charging at home and drive ~20 miles to the nearest supercharger to keep it topped up, just to try and use some of the free miles. Right now I have around 1,900 free miles left that expire in December this year.
Selling up!? Is the software driving you up the wall..as you drive up the lanes?

Selling up!? Is the software driving you up the wall..as you drive up the lanes?

Yes. The irritation from having things just not work properly, and the way things that were working reasonably well just randomly stop working, has been seriously winding me up for months now. The basic car is great, but it's badly let down by stuff that looks to be fairly straightforward to sort out, IMHO. As there seems to be zero interest from Tesla in sorting out these really basic issues, I'm opting for a car with slightly worse performance, but which will be, at least, more consistent in the way it behaves.

I'll no doubt miss the performance a bit, but thinking rationally, I only ever use the performance for short bursts of a few seconds, whereas things like the wipers and lights not working properly, being unable to now see the speed display, the car randomly applying the brakes, sounding warning klaxons and swerving across road happens all the time.

• Helpful
Reactions: NewbieT and M3P_W8
I was issued miles in late Dec 2019 / late Jan 2020. I forget exactly. It was extended twice due to covid. I also added another car in June 2020. My current expiration is 7/23/2023.

Due to pandemic and work from home since Feb 2020 I have hardly driven anywhere. Most most, grocery, and any other supplies and purchases (75” oled, $6k couch, and other items) have all been delivered sight unseen. Work doesn’t expect anyone to come back for at least another year, if at all.

It would be nice if Tesla would continue to extend further. I’ve even sold some more cars for them and no extension.

Allstate however is refunding me $100 every much which is something.

But I’ve driven about 800 miles on two new Tesla’s in 14 months.