Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a rookie question, but I've yet to use a supercharger but plan to on Monday during my first true trip with the car. Here's the deal:

1. I bought my MS prior to the cutoff for free supercharging. There is no question about this.
2. My delivery rep insists I will get free supercharging but that something fell through the cracks and he is fixing it.
3. It is not currently showing on my account after about two weeks from purchase (I raised it as soon as I got home from the dealer).
4. For most of the two weeks I've had the car, my account showed the "you have up to 400kwh charging" showing instead of free supercharging.
5. Now it shows 0 kwhs (though I've never used a supercharger). I think this happened around the time of the software update. It went from 400 (or whatever it was) to 0.
6. I do not (and will not) have a credit card linked to the Tesla account.

So, what happens when I show up to a supercharging station? Does it make me enter a credit card? Will they attempt to bill me in some way? Any ideas? (the rep said it should be fixed by Monday but that's been the line for the two weeks).

Thanks!

...Does it make me enter a credit card?

No credit card needed. You'll be able Supercharge fine.

If they haven't fixed your unlimited Supercharge, the cost will keep accumulating on your web page.

If you don't input your credit card, they expect to get that when you show up in a Service Center sometime in future.

There's no other method of billing for Supercharge: no paper, no e-mail.

Of course, at that time, if they still haven't fixed it, you'll just tell Service Center to fix it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
They seem to charge around 10 miles for every minute, so you made good use of 10 minutes...

That's not been MY experience. In fact I just timed my last supercharging session with the following results.......

Display showed 29 miles left in batteries at start....

10 minutes----> +55 miles
15 minutes----> +84 miles
20 minutes----> +113 miles
25 minutes----> +142 miles
30 minutes----> +167 miles
35 minutes----> +189 miles
40 minutes----> +208 miles
45 minutes----> +222 miles
50 minutes----> +234 miles
55 minutes----> +246 miles
60 minutes----> +255 miles

End of charging session at 60 minutes 50 seconds----> +257 miles

This is an average charging rate of 5.1 miles per minute with a maximum of 5.68 miles per minute early on. This was with a 2018 P100D with about 4,500 miles on the odometer at a supercharger that started out at 116 kWh.

Hey Bill, I love that you measured/timed it.
Obviously more accurate than my method.

I simply observed that the screen said charging at 300 miles/hour +- 10 mph. So I generally start around 310 and end up around 290 (charging to 90%.)

Since Bill put more effort into it than me, i'm going with his numbers.
Thanks Bill.

I simply observed that the screen said charging at 300 miles/hour +- 10 mph. So I generally start around 310 and end up around 290 (charging to 90%.)

Thanks Bill.
Supercharging is highly dependent upon the current SoC. Lower/near “empty” and you’ll get over 100kW (my personal max has been 116kW when I was down to 6%), tapering off as the pack recharges.
Other factors include whether you’re sharing the same pair of cabinets (1A/1B) with someone else, health of the chargers themselves, and temps.

Thanks Bill.

300mph = 300 mi / 60 min = 5 miles per minute, not 10. So basically same as Bill measured empirically....

My earlier time to charge was a tad incomplete as I wandered out of the car to drain the dragon and didn't return until 7 1/2 minutes later. Therefore, time started at 10 minutes. Also, with 29 miles of charge left, I was still in the orange part of the scale of charge. I wanted to see how that would compare if I got into the red part of the scale of charge. Hence, the following data is time to charge with that in mind for comparison, should you be interested.

Start of charge 12 miles......................kW..................................Est.Time Remaining

..............................................................62...............................................70
5 minutes-------> +22............................115..............................................60
10 minutes-----> +52............................115..............................................60
15 minutes-----> +81............................114..............................................50
20 minutes-----> +110...........................112.............................................50
25 minutes-----> +139...........................106.............................................40
30 minutes-----> +165............................92..............................................40
35 minutes-----> +188............................83..............................................30
40 minutes-----> +209............................75..............................................25
45 minutes-----> +227............................60..............................................20
50 minutes-----> +242............................49..............................................15
55 minutes-----> +254............................42..............................................15
60 minutes-----> +264............................37...............................................10
64 minutes-----> +272............................32

This supercharger has 8 stations. While I was charging, a blue 75 came in and charged at one of the stations for about 15-20 minutes. Shortly thereafter a white P85 came in and also charged for about 15-20 minutes and then left. At around 55 minutes of charge, a black MX P100D came in and started charging, but of course I left before she did. I charge at this supercharger almost exclusively since it is only about 5 miles from my house. I had (in the past) tried charging when I had 100 miles left, and then 200 miles left and found the times to charge were not significantly different and probably only deviated by 5 or 10 minutes. i.e. between 30-40 minutes. Since I am retired and I have the time, I decided to charge the car when it gets into the orange part of the scale of charge. So instead of stopping by the supercharger every week for a 40-45 minute charge, I now stop by every two to three weeks for a 60 minute charge. It has been my observation that MOST people that are stopping at the supercharger (while I am there) seem to be either "topping off" their charge, or charging only for 15-20 minutes at most. I have installed a wall charger in my garage, but since the supercharger is a factor of at least 10 times as fast AND it costs me nothing to charge there, I have not used the wall charger since I installed it. I live in Indiana and probably will utilize the wall charger when there is a foot or more of snow on the roads and I don't want to travel to the supercharger because of the convenience of having a wall charger. Do most people just stop by for a "top off" or a quick charge in the realm of 15-20 minutes? What is your particular method of charging at a supercharger?

Last edited: