Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

free unlimited supercharging back for new S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It shows on all new inventory vehicles, as well as in the summary when configuring a custom order.

Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 14.41.08.png

Tesla was motivated to bring back unlimited free supercharging (non-transferrable) to boost declining Model S and X sales.

Tesla brings back 'unsustainable' free unlimited Supercharging perk - Electrek

Tesla’s design studio is listing ‘Free Unlimited Supercharging’ when configuring new Model S and Model X vehicles:

Tesla-free-supercharging.jpg

Electrek saw a memo that Tesla sent to the sales staff today confirming the change and noted that the ‘Free Unlimited Supercharging’ is for the time of ownership of the vehicles and is not transferable. Unlike the previous reintroductions of the perk, there doesn’t seem to be a deadline this time, according to the memo.

I gotta say, this seems like a really terrible idea. Incentivising people to abuse the Supercharger network instead of charging at home is a bad idea and leads to overuse. The Supercharger network should be used when needed, for long journeys, not as a regular charging method.

We see the same thing in Scotland - the ChargePlaceScotland network is free and folks who wouldn't otherwise need to charge use it simply because it's free.

I gotta say, this seems like a really terrible idea. Incentivising people to abuse the Supercharger network instead of charging at home is a bad idea and leads to overuse. The Supercharger network should be used when needed, for long journeys, not as a regular charging method.

We see the same thing in Scotland - the ChargePlaceScotland network is free and folks who wouldn't otherwise need to charge use it simply because it's free.

I wondered why I chose to tour Scotland this September in my new M3.

Makes sense. I can see X and S dropping like stones in sales especially when the Y comes along.

S is just too expensive. For what? A bit more space? Bio defense mode and air suspension?

Superior performance too. I think there’s always going to be space in the Tesla range for a large luxury saloon, just the same as for BMW, Audi etc.

The S probably needs a refresh, but given where Tesla are in their maturity right now that’s clearly not going to happen until after both Y and the Roadster are released at least.

Makes sense. I can see X and S dropping like stones in sales especially when the Y comes along.

S is just too expensive. For what? A bit more space? Bio defense mode and air suspension?

I agree with the premise to provide FUSC for the Model S and X as a market differentiator.
Current S/X sales have only been 8-10K for the first half of 2019 vs. 80K for the Model 3. :cool:

Final Update: Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard: July 2019

upload_2019-8-3_20-41-37-png.437578

100% agree, I was hoping Tesla would have killed this idea, but no.

The simplest way to improve S/X sales is drop the price back to what they were like before the 3.

£50k for base S and £60k for the X. Simple, no idea why Tesla don't.

Reactions: dst87

So easy for people who have the luxury of home charging to say this. We're not all as lucky. I think it's a great idea!

And of course idling should always be charged. It's just not on, selfish.

• Disagree
Reactions: ACarneiro
So easy for people who have the luxury of home charging to say this. We're not all as lucky. I think it's a great idea!

And of course idling should always be charged. It's just not on, selfish.

That's fine - if you can't home charge then you'll benefit even more from the infrastructure being chargeable. It means when you absolutely need to charge, the network won't be filled by people who could charge at home but are topping up because it's free.

Making the charging network free doesn't help anyone in the long term.