Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont 4680 & structural pack - When will it happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When BMW had a factory pick up offering, you paid in then, too.
Because BMW has dealerships. The law takes in to account the average cost it takes to handle and transport a vehicle from the manufacturer to the dealership and is standardized no matter how far away from the manufacturing location you are. Again, this law seems to be to only apply to manufacturers with dealerships.

Because BMW has dealerships. The law takes in to account the average cost it takes to handle and transport a vehicle from the manufacturer to the dealership and is standardized no matter how far away from the manufacturing location you are. Again, this law seems to be to only apply to manufacturers with dealerships.

I dont get the distinction, since although you would order through a dealership, one could go to spartainburg and pickup their BMW (not from a dealership) and drive it home, and spartainburg is where the car was made if it was an X3 or X5. You still paid it in that case as well.

I dont get the distinction, since although you would order through a dealership, one could go to spartainburg and pickup their BMW (not from a dealership) and drive it home, and spartainburg is where the car was made if it was an X3 or X5. You still paid it in that case as well.
Blame the automotive industry for adopting standardized freight charges. I'm not saying I agree.

I figured Tesla would knife switch MYLR production to Austin, eventually shifting MYP there.

Going the geography route, Tesla needs to be very clear on the factory of origin at the time of order. Otherwise headaches will abound. Canada included.

That said, if you want an Austin built MY bad enough, just have it delivered east of the Rockies. Pick a cool place to visit and road trip back home. 😎

Last edited:
I mean I get it.... Everyone wants the latest and greatest, but Tesla's flagship vehicles are not even getting the 2170's (2017/2018 production) let alone the 4680's and where's the outrage there? And yet they are still the longest range, highest performance vehicles available.

Soon enough I guess we'll know what the advantages are apples to apples for the consumer of the 2170 Y vs. 4680 Y.

Maybe this will just perpetuate the widespread market flipping we see on the daily.... East coasters will be ordering 4680 Y's and selling to fill the West coast buyer demand.

I'm in NJ and considering trading up to a Model Y Performance as a holdover to the Cybertruck....maybe I'll order half a dozen. 🤣

I mean I get it.... Everyone wants the latest and greatest, but Tesla's flagship vehicles are not even getting the 2170's (2017/2018 production) let alone the 4680's and where's the outrage there? And yet they are still the longest range, highest performance vehicles available.

Soon enough I guess we'll know what the advantages are apples to apples for the consumer of the 2170 Y vs. 4680 Y.

Maybe this will just perpetuate the widespread market flipping we see on the daily.... East coasters will be ordering 4680 Y's and selling to fill the West coast buyer demand.

I'm in NJ and considering trading up to a Model Y Performance as a holdover to the Cybertruck....maybe I'll order half a dozen. 🤣
I get it, however if the 4680 versions come out with completely superior specs to the 2170 models i.e. - range, acceleration, speed, weight, lower charging times etc. there will be mutiny. I just get tired of the mystery and lack of transparency throughout the entire ordering process. Tesla is obviously the king of innovation and technology, however, their customer service and communication leave a lot to be desired.

I figured Tesla would knife switch MYLR production to Austin, eventually shifting MYP there.

Going the geography route, Tesla needs to be very clear on the factory of origin at the time of order. Otherwise headaches will abound. Canada included.

That said, if you want an Austin built MY bad enough, just have it delivered east of the Rockies. Pick a cool place to visit and road trip back home. 😎
The way EDDs work it is easier said than done. You might have to book a cross country flight at moments notice (or go through a bunch of book/cancel cycles as EDDs do their thing). And after all that there is no guarantee you will get an Austin VIN and two rejections of Fremont VIN and you are back to ordering something again and going to the back of the line.

I get it, however if the 4680 versions come out with completely superior specs to the 2170 models i.e. - range, acceleration, speed, weight, lower charging times etc. there will be mutiny. I just get tired of the mystery and lack of transparency throughout the entire ordering process. Tesla is obviously the king of innovation and technology, however, their customer service and communication leave a lot to be desired.

Show me any company that tells you and lets you choose the factory and any variations between what each factory puts out?

You can't tell GM you want a Silverado from Arlington TX vs Ramos Mexico....

You had no control or communication over whether you got an iPhone 6S with a Samsung sourced A9 that provided slightly better battery life over a 6S that had an A9 made by TSMC.

Right now everyone is falling beside themselves over the speculation and hype of the 4680. Keep in mind this is a bigger benefit to Tesla than the consumer. The benefits to the consumer will be seen on a spec sheet vs real world differences. The 4680 Y may be 200 lb or so lighter as I am betting Tesla will go for same range( PURE speculation). On a spec sheet, that may be .2 off the 0-60 times, but not something you will be able to feel. This notion that the 4680 Y is going to be a huge and drastic night and day difference compared to the 2170 is not likely going to happen.

My MYP was ordered $2k ago and I'll probably pass on the first VIN to see if I can get the 4860s. I'm only having trouble with my decision because the car is a want not a need.

Would any of you guys pay $2k more for the new imaginary build? Let's say slightly lighter only, no range increase. What's the max amount you'd pay for the upgrade?

I definitely think even 200lbs less would make the car a lot more fun. Anyone who's owned a fast car, or at least floors it occasionally, knows how much 1 or 2 extra people in the car impacts performance.

I think Austin 4860’s will start out with the exact same range as Fremont’s 2170’s. When Fremont switches to 4860’s (late in 2022) we will see a range increase. I think it might be possible they sell a 4860 Y with 400 miles of range as plus model for an extra 10k. IMO.

Last edited:
My MYP was ordered $2k ago and I'll probably pass on the first VIN to see if I can get the 4860s. I'm only having trouble with my decision because the car is a want not a need.

Would any of you guys pay $2k more for the new imaginary build? Let's say slightly lighter only, no range increase. What's the max amount you'd pay for the upgrade?

I definitely think even 200lbs less would make the car a lot more fun. Anyone who's owned a fast car, or at least floors it occasionally, knows how much 1 or 2 extra people in the car impacts performance.

You're in California. If Fremont doesn't transition immediately and waits for any "bug reports" from Austin to make the change, they may not change over until lets say June. So you would still get an Y from Fremont that would still have the 2170. Up to you if you want to cancel the order and wait until Fremont transitions.

You're in California. If Fremont doesn't transition immediately and waits for any "bug reports" from Austin to make the change, they may not change over until lets say June. So you would still get an Y from Fremont that would still have the 2170. Up to you if you want to cancel the order and wait until Fremont transitions.
Maybe I should have typed the questions in all caps.

Maybe I should have typed the questions in all caps.

Would I cancel my order, pay $2,000 more when I reorder, for a build we have no information on?

No I would not. $2000 is a big gamble on a what if. Would need to actually see the details of a Y with the 4680 and make the judgement then.

Heck lets say the 4680 MY gains .2 of a second 0-60, $2000 is A LOT of money to spend just to gain .2 of a second. $2000 right now gets you .5 of a second off with Acceleration Boost. Value proposition is not there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrmtb
Show me any company that tells you and lets you choose the factory and any variations between what each factory puts out?

You can't tell GM you want a Silverado from Arlington TX vs Ramos Mexico....

You had no control or communication over whether you got an iPhone 6S with a Samsung sourced A9 that provided slightly better battery life over a 6S that had an A9 made by TSMC.

Right now everyone is falling beside themselves over the speculation and hype of the 4680. Keep in mind this is a bigger benefit to Tesla than the consumer. The benefits to the consumer will be seen on a spec sheet vs real world differences. The 4680 Y may be 200 lb or so lighter as I am betting Tesla will go for same range( PURE speculation). On a spec sheet, that may be .2 off the 0-60 times, but not something you will be able to feel. This notion that the 4680 Y is going to be a huge and drastic night and day difference compared to the 2170 is not likely going to happen.
Apples and oranges. Your example above doesn't matter. The specs are virtually the same no matter where it is built. 4680's are obviously the future or they wouldn't be converting. So depending on your zip code, you may get yesterdays technology ordering a new MY. With your Silverado example it would be like the Eastern US gets the V8 engine and the west gets the V6.

Apples and oranges. Your example above doesn't matter. The specs are virtually the same no matter where it is built. 4680's are obviously the future or they wouldn't be converting. So depending on your zip code, you may get yesterdays technology ordering a new MY. With your Silverado example it would be like the Eastern US gets the V8 engine and the west gets the V6.

You're betting on a day and night difference. I am thinking it will be more modest for consumers. The 4680 is a bigger deal for Tesla and that is why they are converting. Easier and cheaper to manufacture. The benefit to the consumer is unknown depending on how they setup the Y with the 4680.

Reactions: BnGrm and CaliX
You're betting on a day and night difference. I am thinking it will be more modest for consumers. The 4680 is a bigger deal for Tesla and that is why they are converting. Easier and cheaper to manufacture. The benefit to the consumer is unknown depending on how they setup the Y with the 4680.
Fair enough...I would think they would be smart enough to NOT make it drastically different at this stage.

Reactions: advocate8
SA: “Well, we are making those in Austin now."
My coworker: “OK, but who gets them?"
SA: “Well, people that order, like, now will get that new battery."
Coworker: “What about people who put orders on hold now?"
SA “No, you get what was on there when you ordered."
Cowro: “But they are making them now, and there’s a backlog of orders till July or August
I think the large casting might have significant enough of a advantage in terms of payload and towing capacity due to weight savings, which I think was somewhere in the around 200-300 pounds?

This story was proven inaccurate later on. It was a misunderstanding based on fact one country counts a certain amount for human occupants, the other doesn’t.

I think the large casting might have significant enough of a advantage in terms of payload and towing capacity due to weight savings, which I think was somewhere in the around 200-300 pounds?

This article seems to be inaccurate in terms of capacities. The attached label is off of my car, which has a birth date of January 9, 2022 and was made in Fremont.

Attachments

• Tesla Y 2022 Tire & Loading sticker.jpg
    Tesla Y 2022 Tire & Loading sticker.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 161