Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont 4680 & structural pack - When will it happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article seems to be inaccurate in terms of capacities. The attached label is off of my car, which has a birth date of January 9, 2022 and was made in Fremont.
Thank you for this correction. I was caught by that article into thinking the capacity will increase. However, Berlin models still use one casting only. Austin models will be structurally different from Berlin, so it should have different max weight ... could be in either direction though.

Unrelated questions... You seem to have LRMY Red/Black on 19" wheels, the exact same config I am waiting for. 1) How do you like the color?/paint quality? 2) I placed my order in October, and my delivery is currently for April, your order looks like it was placed in November and you already have your car... Was it a normal process?

There is a reason why Tesla has not published any specs on the Range & HP on the new 4680; I don’t think it will be that big of a difference from the 2170.
If it was so, why would people buy the 2170? Bottom line is that Tesla is going to make so much more profit on the cheaper 4680; And perhaps finally build a cheap, economy $28K car using the 4680.
Ask yourself why Tesla continues to use the 18650 for the High end rocket Model S/Plaid that gets over 400 miles 😲😬🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: BillyG2022MYP
There is a reason why Tesla has not published any specs on the Range & HP on the new 4680; I don’t think it will be that big of a difference from the 2170.
If it was so, why would people buy the 2170? Bottom line is that Tesla is going to make so much more profit on the cheaper 4680; And perhaps finally build a cheap, economy $28K car using the 4680.
Ask yourself why Tesla continues to use the 18650 for the High end rocket Model S/Plaid that gets over 400 miles 😲😬🤷🏻‍♂️
The answer to your last question is most likely performance. I have already argued that 4680 might be slower to charge and slow to power the motors of performance versions. The concept of the structural pack changes the body structure enough to expect noticeable change (reduction) in weight. Weight reduction should lead to some range increase.

Reactions: Msicario
The answer to your last question is most likely performance. I have already argued that 4680 might be slower to charge and slow to power the motors of performance versions. The concept of the structural pack changes the body structure enough to expect noticeable change (reduction) in weight. Weight reduction should lead to some range increase.
I’ve seen pictures of the new structure body to accommodate the new batteries.
I agree that it’s going to be lighter and cheaper to build; Lighter vehicles equate to more power.
But remember that Tesla controls the HP.

I am taking delivery of a FREMONT MY LR in Bonita Springs Florida between Feb 28 and March 10- Just received the VIN. I'm so bummed because I doubt I will be getting the 4680 structural pack. I was certain that living in the southern tip of FL would guarantee a MY delivery from Austin with the 4680's in 2022. Maybe if I had ordered Blue :) Oh, well. Fit and Finish should be great coming off of a tried and true production line, according to Elon. Delaying delivery now would put me at the end of the line (August!) and potentially cause Tesla to cancel the order forcing me to reorder for thousands more. I'm at least expecting Gigacastings in front and rear. I'll compare it to my Performance MY delivered in Sept 2020 and let you know.

I am taking delivery of a FREMONT MY LR in Bonita Springs Florida between Feb 28 and March 10- Just received the VIN. I'm so bummed because I doubt I will be getting the 4680 structural pack. I was certain that living in the southern tip of FL would guarantee a MY delivery from Austin with the 4680's in 2022. Maybe if I had ordered Blue :) Oh, well. Fit and Finish should be great coming off of a tried and true production line, according to Elon. Delaying delivery now would put me at the end of the line (August!) and potentially cause Tesla to cancel the order forcing me to reorder for thousands more. I'm at least expecting Gigacastings in front and rear. I'll compare it to my Performance MY delivered in Sept 2020 and let you know.
Any update? Thanks.

Any update? Thanks.