Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Leaf's 6-50R to Tesla 14-50R

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That looks like 1/2 inch conduit. If that cable is 6AWG then you can’t pull in a neutral. That is too much cable for that size conduit. It would fit physically, but it’s not allowed.

You need to determine the wire size to figure out what the maximum amp breaker you can use is. I won’t give advice on that. You can google “ampacity chart” for a good answer. BTW it’s perfectly ok to use a smaller breaker than the cable is rated for. You just can’t use a larger one.

You don’t need the neutral anyway. It’s not used by the “charger”. If you take away the cost of running a neutral (and the associated cost of new conduit) as well as the cost of the adapter off the cost of the HPWC, you might find it a more affordable option. You could potentially be able to replace the outlet with the HPWC (set to appropriate amperage), upgrade the breaker and be done.

Also, you may not be able to use the adapters shown above with the Model 3. Those adapters are made for the UMC that comes with the S/X. All indications so far are that the 3 comes with a different UMC that is terminated as a 14-50 and doesn’t have the snap on/off adapters the original one has. It looks like they use a new “pigtail” adapter.

Have you considered using the same charging solution you currently use for your LEAF for the 3? Even at the slowe charging rate, you should still get a nice, full charge overnight with no issues. Then you don’t have to worry about any of this stuff. The 3 will come with a J1772 to Tesla adapter includes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pk-sd and Runt8
Correct, the M3 mobile adapter is different. You can see the converter dongles in the Tesla store and they have different connectors on the charger side and say for model 3 only.

If you are talking about $200-300 to get an electrician out, I would really recommend a new breaker, wire and 14-50 outlet. You will be able to charge safer, a little faster perhaps and most importantly, have piece of mind. Tesla sells the 14-30 dongle for the new mobile charger which will cover your parents dryer hookup. All this will automatically set the charge rate for you. No chance to overload a circuit when you are not careful. Better to avoid electrical fires in the wall....

Eh the Model 3 UMC has adapters.. Model 3 NEMA Adapters though it does appear the Model 3 UMC is limited to 32A regardless of which 50A plug you use.
Yes I was commenting on the adapters that were linked earlier in the thread. Those won’t work.

Thanks for the info on the 32a limit. I missed that info. That really stinks. Seems like a limitation like that should come with an associated price drop. Makes me even happier that I already have a nice EVSE that I built for my LEAF a few years ago.

Yeah, I agree. I'm going to guess it's because the 14-50 has kind of become the common standard for EV charging where an EVSE is not available. I think this might be from the early EV pioneers :p who used to travel far and charge at RV parks.

My homebuilt EVSE actually has the neutral pin cut off so it can be used in 14-30 or 14-50 outlets on the go. But I can do that because I have the ability to change the max charge rate via a button.

That looks like 1/2 inch conduit. If that cable is 6AWG then you can’t pull in a neutral. That is too much cable for that size conduit. It would fit physically, but it’s not allowed.

You need to determine the wire size to figure out what the maximum amp breaker you can use is. I won’t give advice on that. You can google “ampacity chart” for a good answer. BTW it’s perfectly ok to use a smaller breaker than the cable is rated for. You just can’t use a larger one.

You don’t need the neutral anyway. It’s not used by the “charger”. If you take away the cost of running a neutral (and the associated cost of new conduit) as well as the cost of the adapter off the cost of the HPWC, you might find it a more affordable option. You could potentially be able to replace the outlet with the HPWC (set to appropriate amperage), upgrade the breaker and be done.

Also, you may not be able to use the adapters shown above with the Model 3. Those adapters are made for the UMC that comes with the S/X. All indications so far are that the 3 comes with a different UMC that is terminated as a 14-50 and doesn’t have the snap on/off adapters the original one has. It looks like they use a new “pigtail” adapter.

Have you considered using the same charging solution you currently use for your LEAF for the 3? Even at the slowe charging rate, you should still get a nice, full charge overnight with no issues. Then you don’t have to worry about any of this stuff. The 3 will come with a J1772 to Tesla adapter includes.

I did not know that you are not allowed to use 6AWG wire in a 1/2" conduit. Good to know. From what I have found on Tesla's website, UMC should operate just fine on 40amp breaker. I have sent an email to Tesla to confirm that. I might also have an inside connection to one of Tesla's engineer I am trying to get answers from.

If UMC option does not pan out, then I am fine with going to HPWC and keep UMC in the car. I would rather stay on code than try to save few hundred dollars. I always thought it would cost me about $1000 to get this done, and so it's not too bad. You are right, HPMC does not seem to require the white conductor, so won't need to change wiring or breaker for 32A charging.

My blink EVSE is still on the wall and fully operational, but I was told that this unit has been restricted to 20amp thru software updates( I think they had some over heating issues). Although my daily commute is ony 60 miles, it's nice to be able to charge a LR at higher rate when needed.

Eh the Model 3 UMC has adapters.. Model 3 NEMA Adapters though it does appear the Model 3 UMC is limited to 32A regardless of which 50A plug you use.

:cool:

upload_2017-9-2_9-43-15.png

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
I'm the same situation...not sure why it's so complicated. Can't you just get the Model 3 UMC adapter for the 6-50 (yes, pay for the adapter) and move on?

Yes indeed that is the correct answer. $35. Problem solved. And the nice thing is that if your 6-50 is on a 40 A breaker, it won't matter since the Model 3 UMC only draws a maximum of 32A.

You can also buy a Tesla HPWC and connect it to the 6-50 wires (hard wire it) but if the breaker is 40 A then you won't be getting any more charge.

Reactions: gaswalla
Yes indeed that is the correct answer. $35. Problem solved. And the nice thing is that if your 6-50 is on a 40 A breaker, it won't matter since the Model 3 UMC only draws a maximum of 32A.

You can also buy a Tesla HPWC and connect it to the 6-50 wires (hard wire it) but if the breaker is 40 A then you won't be getting any more charge.

I am leaning towards doing a full upgrade (wiring, breaker, HPWC) and future proof myself and leaving my UMC in the car.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
I've been using one of those short adapter cables AND an extension cord to charge with the UMC for over a year...no issues. I only charge at 30 or 32 amps, but that has been plenty. Ironically, I have dual chargers and an HPWC that's been sitting new in the box for that same year. I held onto it thinking I would install it , but meh...just need to sell it I guess.

Yes, if you do all your charging overnight, 32A is plenty. I HAVE used 72A charging into my Model X a couple of times, but only because I had forgotten to charge the night before and I had to do a lot of driving that day. Even so, it was only for piece of mind, I could have gotten by without it.

It is interesting that it seems the EV industry as a whole is standardizing on 32A chargers.