Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Leaf's 6-50R to Tesla 14-50R

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to re-configure my NEMA 6-50R receptacle that was part of my LEAF install over to NEMA 14-50R. Quickest way to do this would to just buy "6-50p to 14-50r" adapter form here. Right thing to do would be to change the receptacle to 140-50r. When I opened the electrical box, I noticed I have only 3 conductor's. Neutral (white) conductors is not used for 6-50R was not pulled from the panel.

I have two choices:

1) Buy the $55-$75 6-50P to 14-50R and I am done.

2) Hire an electrician and pay $200-$300 (I am guessing on the cost) to run a new wire. Approx. 20-feet from the panel to add the neutral wire. I would also take this opportunity to upgrade my 40-amp circuit to 50-amps (if possible).

So question is: by using the adapter, am I compromising on safety somehow? One extra point of failure. Neutral wire not being utilized.

I know extension cords are a "no-no" when it comes to high-current situations. This adapter (2ft or 10ft) is basically an extension cord. Anyone has any experience with these adapter?

ReXo1

Attachments

• 20170829_203441.jpg
    20170829_203441.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 110
You need a 6-50 adapter for the UMC. Tesla stopped selling them (but they still make them - I recently received my replacement adapter).
Many service centers actually have the adapter, but you would probably need to call and ask nicely.

They appear on ebay occasionally
TESLA Model S & X 6-50 208-240v-50a Charging Adapter - OEM | eBay

Last edited:
Looking to re-configure my NEMA 6-50R receptacle that was part of my LEAF install over to NEMA 14-50R. Quickest way to do this would to just buy "6-50p to 14-50r" adapter form here. Right thing to do would be to change the receptacle to 140-50r. When I opened the electrical box, I noticed I have only 3 conductor's. Neutral (white) conductors is not used for 6-50R was not pulled from the panel.

I have two choices:

2) Hire an electrician and pay $200-$300 (I am guessing on the cost) to run a new wire. Approx. 20-feet from the panel to add the neutral wire. I would also take this opportunity to upgrade my 40-amp circuit to 50-amps (if possible).

So question is: by using the adapter, am I compromising on safety somehow? One extra point of failure. Neutral wire not being utilized.

I know extension cords are a "no-no" when it comes to high-current situations. This adapter (2ft or 10ft) is basically an extension cord. Anyone has any experience with these adapter?

ReXo1

Sorry, are you saying your 6-50 only has a 40 amp breaker? That's already a no-no and will need to be fixed, especially if you are getting the LR with its higher draw. Just get it wired up correctly and have the breaker replaced.

Sorry, are you saying your 6-50 only has a 40 amp breaker? That's already a no-no and will need to be fixed, especially if you are getting the LR with its higher draw. Just get it wired up correctly and have the breaker replaced.

I was wired for a leaf which had only 3.3-6.6 kw chargers. This was going to be second part of the question. What is the maximum current draw of LR, and the standard (mobile) charger that comes with M3 ?

I was wired for a leaf which had only 3.3-6.6 kw chargers. This was going to be second part of the question. What is the maximum current draw of LR, and the standard (mobile) charger that comes with M3 ?

Assuming it works like the S/X charger and fully utilizes the 14-50 outlet it will draw 40 amps. A circuit should only ever be used at 80% of its rated capacity continuously, which means a 50 amp breaker. Using it with a 40 amp breaker is a code violation.

Reports say the LR can pull up to 40 amps and the standard can pull 32.

Assuming it works like the S/X charger and fully utilizes the 14-50 outlet it will draw 40 amps. A circuit should only ever be used at 80% of its rated capacity continuously, which means a 50 amp breaker. Using it with a 40 amp breaker is a code violation.

Reports say the LR can pull up to 40 amps and the standard can pull 32.

I'll look into this(contact Tesla). Maybe on a 40-amp circuit, would would be smart enough to draw lower current rate. Slower/longer charging cycle would be the only drawback. Otherwise I'll skip the adapter and just get the upgrade done....looks like I have plenty of time to do this :(

Do you know what gauge wire is in the walls? May have to upgrade the whole line if you want to move from 40A to 50A.

Not sure, ill check tonight, should be easy. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Last edited:
Which one do I need if I would like to use the dryer outlet to charge? I plan on doing this when I visit my parents.
Dryers are typically on either 10-30 (old) or 14-30 (new) outlets. I believe Tesla has (or used to have) adapters for the 14-30 variety, and there are adapters (non-Tesla) to convert the 10-30s to 14-30. Safe charging is limited to 24 amps on a 30 amp circuit.

If you need to actually share the dryer plug, you might look into getting a "dryer buddy plus", to prevent both the dryer and car from drawing current at the same time.

Reactions: cybergates
Dryers are typically on either 10-30 (old) or 14-30 (new) outlets. I believe Tesla has (or used to have) adapters for the 14-30 variety, and there are adapters (non-Tesla) to convert the 10-30s to 14-30. Safe charging is limited to 24 amps on a 30 amp circuit.

If you need to actually share the dryer plug, you might look into getting a "dryer buddy plus", to prevent both the dryer and car from drawing current at the same time.
Thanks. I'm not going to share it. I'm going to unplug the dryer when I need to charge.

Reactions: cybergates
Thanks. I'm not going to share it. I'm going to unplug the dryer when I need to charge.
That can work, but after a few times you'll probably want the Buddy, or something similar. If nothing else, it will avoid wearing out the outlet. They typically aren't designed for a lot of cycles.

I built essentially a 2-outlet power strip for mine, with the second outlet about 10' farther down the wall so my car's UMC could reach it. Without the switch, I had to be careful when throwing stuff in the dryer, since the car could wake up at any time for a daily "top off" charge. Also totally not up to code because of that, but it worked... (I have a real 14-50 now, btw.)

That can work, but after a few times you'll probably want the Buddy, or something similar. If nothing else, it will avoid wearing out the outlet. They typically aren't designed for a lot of cycles.

I built essentially a 2-outlet power strip for mine, with the second outlet about 10' farther down the wall so my car's UMC could reach it. Without the switch, I had to be careful when throwing stuff in the dryer, since the car could wake up at any time for a daily "top off" charge. Also totally not up to code because of that, but it worked... (I have a real 14-50 now, btw.)
I"m only going to use it when I visit my parents which is like once a month. I'll consider the dryer buddy plus though.

I have two choices:

ReXo1

The Tesla HPWC can be set up for a 40 Amp breaker and wiring. It would then limit charging to 32 Amps, the max allowed. I think the HPWC costs $500. This allows keeping the UMC in the car, if you want to do that (not necessary, but some people like to always be ready for long trips).

Another option is to buy the Tesla's Canadian version of the 14-50 UMC adapter, it is also limits charging to 32 Amps, and could be used with the 6-50P to 14-50 R cord that you linked. I would wait for info on the M3's UMC first, maybe it will be different than the UMC for the Model S and X.

GSP

Reactions: pk-sd
The Tesla HPWC can be set up for a 40 Amp breaker and wiring. It would then limit charging to 32 Amps, the max allowed. I think the HPWC costs $500. This allows keeping the UMC in the car, if you want to do that (not necessary, but some people like to always be ready for long trips).

Another option is to buy the Tesla's Canadian version of the 14-50 UMC adapter, it is also limits charging to 32 Amps, and could be used with the 6-50P to 14-50 R cord that you linked. I would wait for info on the M3's UMC first, maybe it will be different than the UMC for the Model S and X.

GSP

Correct. Looking at Tesla's website, they only have UMC for S/X. UMC for M3 might be different. I visited Tesla store and the employees were completely clueless on this. So I'll wait and look for M3's UMC specs. Getting a HPMC is definitely on the books in future. UMC could also be a backup just in case UMC is having issues.