Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From order to delivery in 8 days?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everybody,

Brand new forum member here, and soon-to-be first-time Tesla owner...Howdy!

My girlfriend and I just placed an order for a Model 3 Performance last week on 9/13. We were advised that we should expect delivery sometime in November, but then suddenly yesterday we received an email saying our car is ready and we should pick it up this Friday. That's 8 days from order to delivery!

We are simultaneously excited and stressed-out by this development. While we are looking forward to taking delivery, such a completely inaccurate delivery estimate has frankly left us unprepared. Now we're scrambling to move funds around and figure out what to do with our other car that we had planned to keep for a couple more months. And all this while on travel that was planned months ago. While excited to get our car, the surprise delivery is extremely inconvenient.

Is this a common ordering experience? Or did we just somehow get "lucky" (maybe someone who ordered the same configuration cancelled at the last minute or something?). I've asked the same questions to the delivery scheduling adviser, but I would like to hear from other owners.

Thanks,

Eric

Hello Everybody,

My girlfriend and I just placed an order for a Model 3 Performance last week on 9/13. We were advised that we should expect delivery sometime in November, but then suddenly yesterday we received an email saying our car is ready and we should pick it up this Friday. That's 8 days from order to delivery!

We are simultaneously excited and stressed-out by this development. While we are looking forward to taking delivery, such a completely inaccurate delivery estimate has frankly left us unprepared. Now we're scrambling to move funds around and figure out what to do with our other car that we had planned to keep for a couple more months. And all this while on travel that was planned months ago. While excited to get our car, the surprise delivery is extremely inconvenient.

Is this a common ordering experience? Or did we just somehow get "lucky" (maybe someone who ordered the same configuration cancelled at the last minute or something?). I've asked the same questions to the delivery scheduling adviser, but I would like to hear from other owners.

Thanks,

Eric
There are numerous threads exactly like yours. I'm guessing you ordered a RWD car?

I'm in the SF Bay Area and as I posted at 2018 Model 3. Pristine Condition!:
A co-worker a few weeks ago ordered a RWD 3 on a Tuesday. He got a call on Wednesday saying he could pick up as soon as Sunday! I don't think anyone expected it that fast! He already had a planned trip so he postponed it until the following Wednesday. He got it that Wednesday.

A few months back, someone else at my work (who I don't work with) somehow "jumped the line" ahead of many others and got their RWD 3 within 3 weeks of order time. AFAIK, they never put in any $1K reservation $ and by the time they ordered, Tesla wasn't doing that any more anyway.

Hello Everybody,

Thanks,

Eric
Ha ha...when I pulled the trigger on my 3 it also had a 2-4 month delivery estimate. When I got a call the next day saying it was ready for pick up I similarly freaked out. When I stated I'm not ready they were totally cool and said I can take delivery(of a different VIN whenever I want. After mulling it over I decided to move ahead(with different VIN) the following week. I should probably the add delivery process was great and the car is awesome!

Same thing happened to me ordered a P3D+ on 9/15 called yesterday to expect delivery next week. Ugh I don't even know if I am ready.

Ha ha...when I pulled the trigger on my 3 it also had a 2-4 month delivery estimate. When I got a call the next day saying it was ready for pick up I similarly freaked out. When I stated I'm not ready they were totally cool and said I can take delivery(of a different VIN whenever I want. After mulling it over I decided to move ahead(with different VIN) the following week. I should probably the add delivery process was great and the car is awesome!

Does this effect anything? I ordered mine with free supercharging. I don't want delaying my delivery to negate that. Otherwise I wouldn't mind pushing it back a couple weeks. I planned on selling my current car in the next couple weeks and using it for a down payment. Getting a call only a couple days after order was definitely not expected.

Same thing happened to me ordered a P3D+ on 9/15 called yesterday to expect delivery next week. Ugh I don't even know if I am ready.

Does this effect anything? I ordered mine with free supercharging. I don't want delaying my delivery to negate that. Otherwise I wouldn't mind pushing it back a couple weeks. I planned on selling my current car in the next couple weeks and using it for a down payment. Getting a call only a couple days after order was definitely not expected.
Talk to your DS. Because you were not actually assigned a VIN(this will only happen once you agree to take delivery) I don't think it would change anything. BTW when I was scrambling to sell my car I ended up simply selling to Carmax which was super easy and fast.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian N
Talk to your DS. Because you were not actually assigned a VIN(this will only happen once you agree to take delivery) I don't think it would change anything. BTW when I was scrambling to sell my car I ended up simply selling to Carmax which was super easy and fast.

Oh I see. Thanks for that info!

In the initial text message from my DS she asked me to complete the rest of my profile and "has me on schedule for delivery next week" and "have limited appointments available." Whatever that means. So I hope I haven't been assigned a VIN? I suspect they are trying to do an end of the quarter rush. Seeing how I am located in California with a higher spec M3 they might want that under their belt before Q3 ends.

I have a friend who is pretty interested in my current car but doesn't get back in town till the end of the month. If he didn't want it I was planning on just going to car max. I really hate selling cars.

I really figured I would have at least 2-3 weeks on the shortest end of the scale. One week though. That really caught me off guard!

Thanks Hotlobstah, that's helpful. We may ask to see if we can push back the date a bit. We will also have to ask about the effect on free supercharging, because wharever we do we dont want to lose that!

Hello Everybody,

Thanks,

Eric

#firstworldproblem

Lots of posts here on the same topic, SIYF.

If I were to speculate, this is what may be happening;

1. Tesla is building AWD cars in volume with variety of wheel and color choices.
2. Tesla notes in car firmware / internal database if this car is 'P' capable.
3. Tesla holds car at the factory for a couple of weeks.
4. If someone orders 'P' then Tesla can flip the switch in software for that car and presto chango now it's a 'P' ready for immediate delivery or delivery to a distribution center almost immediately.
5. If nobody wants it to be a 'P' then after some period of time that car is released to fill an AWD order.

Hi Eric, Model 3 are not made to order. They make a bunch of commonly popular config and if your order matches the inventory it can be delivered very fast. Honestly I would take delivery now since how knows what will happen to next quarter when Tesla is making final push to make sure everyone gets full tax credit.

If I were to speculate, this is what may be happening;

1. Tesla is building AWD cars in volume with variety of wheel and color choices.
2. Tesla notes in car firmware / internal database if this car is 'P' capable.
3. Tesla holds car at the factory for a couple of weeks.
4. If someone orders 'P' then Tesla can flip the switch in software for that car and presto chango now it's a 'P' ready for immediate delivery or delivery to a distribution center almost immediately.
5. If nobody wants it to be a 'P' then after some period of time that car is released to fill an AWD order.
P is not just software. There are a few hardware changes.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
I also was lucky to be scheduled within a month, until they delayed without clear reason, stating "In-Transit" blamed it on the Hurricane even though Alabama is well out the range of Hurricane Florence.

Ordered -Aug 24th
First delivery email received on- Sept 6
VIN Received- Sept 10
MVPA Received- Sept 13
Earliest delivery possible - Sept 18th and scheduled
Call received on Sept 15 to delay to Sept 26
Delivery Advisor does not respond to emails, nor will he give me his contact phone number, When he did finally reply, he did not answer any/all questions and instead copied and pasted from the FAQ's on Teslas website. He tells me home delivery is not an options, but Tesla Support team tells me its always an option. When i ask for his phone number for his office, he refers me to the support team which are helpful but useless as they cannot answer many questions. I "escalated" the no response issue with the Support team who said a supervisor will contact me soon, 4 business days later, still no response from IDA or Supervisor.........

I understand many other are still waiting and are having the same problem, but as a customer we should be kept in the "loop".

Very Disappointing.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hello Everybody,

Thanks,

Eric
End of quarter push and every sale on Performance model is that much more profit. I was offered the same deal basically, ordered this past Saturday and they wanted delivery on the 26th. I declined as not ready with financing, etc...and want to avoid the chaos of end of quarter deliveries.

If you truly are not ready, you can tell them you cannot accommodate and they will reschedule when you are ready. At least that was offered to me.

Ok so I have an update. Ordered 9/15 they want to deliver to my house this Saturday 9/22. That is like a 6-7 day turn around for a P+. I really don’t think I’m ready.

End of quarter push and every sale on Performance model is that much more profit. I was offered the same deal basically, ordered this past Saturday and they wanted delivery on the 26th. I declined as not ready with financing, etc...and want to avoid the chaos of end of quarter deliveries.

If you truly are not ready, you can tell them you cannot accommodate and they will reschedule when you are ready. At least that was offered to me.

Who do you tell that you want to decline the delivery? The delivery center or the advisor? Both have contacted me in the past 48hrs.