Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front brake slider pin won’t come out- help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently you need to do brake maintenance on an annual basis. Had no idea so haven’t done anything to the brakes in 4 years. Now here we are with a stuck slider pins on the bottom front left of the car. I hammered the *sugar* out of it and now it’s bent in the middle. It seems like the more I hammer, the more it gets bent. I tried everything from using a heat gun to get up both ends of the pins and also spraying dw40 on it as well.

Does anyone have any idea how to get this out?

I’m thinking my last option is to cut but I want to avoid if someone has some other ideas. 😀

Appreciate your insight.
28520182-9EE0-4B67-A3B5-32804C2CC7F3.jpeg

You should be able to get new pins at the service center, you're not the first one. I am diligently cleaning and lubricating mine every year, that's the recommendation in our harsh climate. They are hard to remove even after one winter... :(
Do you do yours before winter or after?
I have read that some same best to do it before.

This will be my first winter with the car.

It's probably best to do before. But since I got my car new late December, I didn't do it before, and I even drove 2 winters before doing it for the first time. It was due... I guess as long as it's been less than a year with the proper high-quality lubricant you should be fine. I'm using a ceramic brake lubricant if I am not mistaken, not the cheap stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: Randy-12
Is it seized in the caliper holes or is it seized in the brake pad holes? Get two new pins. Cut the old pin on the outside and the inside of the brake pad holes. You may have to cut the mushroom end of the pin off. Take the old that is on the top of the caliper and cut the large end off. File the end down to where it is smooth then use that pin to drive the pieces of the other pin out. Hope this makes sense

Reactions: Falcon3
Thanks for everyone’s comments. Ended up cutting the pin with a multi-tool.
D674F17E-B2DE-4D80-9AC5-CC749F064D01.jpeg

Then I used BP blaster spray to help with the rust build up on the right side of the pin. A lot of banging back and forth, applying BP blaster, DW40 and a 4lb hammer, was able to get the thing loose and out. Took about a good 5 hours.

For some reason threads were in the hole part of the pin probably from me trying to turn the pin around.
1670DC8E-CDC7-4834-B1D4-8F84F20C2ED2.jpeg

I highly recommend everyone do the annual maintenance of taking the pins out and lubbing the pins and brake pads to prevent this headache for the DIY folks here. 😀

After doing this, notice better braking.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I see, thanks. Btw you can use some of the brake lube or anti-seize on the pin ends to reduce seizing in the future.
I did that as well. As an FYI, I read up on the brake lib vs anti seize debate. Apparently shouldn’t use anti-seize on anything that does not have a thread so I recommend sticking to just some sort of Ceramic Brake lub for the pin and brake pad. 😀

Reactions: GtiMart