Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front half shaft replacement instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhere on the forum it was stated that the SC damaged the front drive unit during an axel replacement. Not sure how that could happen but it would be enough for me to skip the DIY repairs and take it to the SC.

Anyone know what a front DU replacement costs?

My service appointment is scheduled for the 10th and we will see what it costs to fix. $1500 is the costs I’ve seen most places. $800 in parts and labor at $180 an hour….. or what ever your local sc rates are.

Somewhere on the forum it was stated that the SC damaged the front drive unit during an axel replacement. Not sure how that could happen but it would be enough for me to skip the DIY repairs and take it to the SC.

My service appointment is scheduled for the 10th and we will see what it costs to fix. $1500 is the costs I’ve seen most places. $800 in parts and labor at $180 an hour….. or what ever your local sc rates are.
This is closer to the ~1700 I was quoted for this tsb. Being told, “the tsb only applies to vehicles under warranty” 🥴

• Disagree
Reactions: m5james and EbS-P
This is closer to the ~1700 I was quoted for this tsb. Being told, “the tsb only applies to vehicles under warranty” 🥴
Not true...I've got a '17 with 116k, no warranty and still got it done. The TSB itself also says nothing about warranty requirement. Just like how I went and asked 6mo ago about parts pricing for this exact job even though the TSB is from mid '21...they're gonna need to be pushed since they'd rather suck up to Elon and make money vs help out a customer.

Read ALL the posts, I've provided the TSB and screenshots of my bill. I'm trying to find the original PDF, I've found other posts using the same 21-39-001 keywords as well.

Found it and searching to document shows ZERO of warranty, just years 2014-2020 and I HIGHLY doubt there's ANY 2014's still under any sort of warranty. Make them show you where it says it has be be a warranties vehicle - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kQFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2RqPxKLD0IpYsuQ1MS_UYI

Last edited:
Reactions: geordi
2016 MX P100d.

$2300 including clevis replacement

Attachments

• DB218CF3-3578-463B-B317-2C0DB5C697C9.png
    DB218CF3-3578-463B-B317-2C0DB5C697C9.png
    580.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Disagree
Reactions: m5james
Not true...I've got a '17 with 116k, no warranty and still got it done. The TSB itself also says nothing about warranty requirement. Just like how I went and asked 6mo ago about parts pricing for this exact job even though the TSB is from mid '21...they're gonna need to be pushed since they'd rather suck up to Elon and make money vs help out a customer.

Read ALL the posts, I've provided the TSB and screenshots of my bill. I'm trying to find the original PDF, I've found other posts using the same 21-39-001 keywords as well.

Found it and searching to document shows ZERO of warranty, just years 2014-2020 and I HIGHLY doubt there's ANY 2014's still under any sort of warranty. Make them show you where it says it has be be a warranties vehicle - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kQFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2RqPxKLD0IpYsuQ1MS_UYI
Not true? You were there?
Would you like a copy of the text exchange?

😂😂😂

You seem to be downvoting a bit of the people with actual knowledge of this process. Interesting.

Not true? You were there?
Would you like a copy of the text exchange?

😂😂😂

You seem to be downvoting a bit of the people with actual knowledge of this process. Interesting.
Just because someone willingly paid the $1700 doesn't mean they should have. Once again, I asked in person last summer about how much it costs to have the work done and I decided to wait and do the work myself later down the road. At no point did they they give me the information about the TSB on their own accord, but once it was presented to them, boom...I'm only paying $350 which I've provided a screenshot of on my WAY out of warranty vehicle.

Now whether someone else wants to use that TSB and hold the SC's feet to the fire is on them. Spend enough time on the forums and it'll be quite common to see people paying for things they shouldn't have or didn't need to, hence the thumbs down...because I too have knowledge of the process and I paid less for said process. If someone wants to pay more for something because they don't wanna fight for less, so be...that doesn't make my knowledge and experience wrong and them right lol.

Reactions: Birdcar and ford50x
I’m in the U.K. Does anyone know if this applies globally?
Also what part of it indicates the th SC what they should charge? I doubt my SC is overly knowledgeable so I’d like to know how to point out to them “this should only be x amount”. Thanks m5James and ford50x. Brilliant find!

I hope you didn’t pay it. Mine is at the SC right now and just got off the phone with the rep a little bit ago and she said that they are replacing the half shafts under that TSB for $350. They zeroed out the original $1800 on my estimate and added a new line item called “Billing for SB-21-39-001” at $350. I have an 18 MX definitely not under warranty.

I’m in the U.K. Does anyone know if this applies globally?
Also what part of it indicates the th SC what they should charge? I doubt my SC is overly knowledgeable so I’d like to know how to point out to them “this should only be x amount”. Thanks m5James and ford50x. Brilliant find!
I was never told when I was at the SC months prior, but thankfully they didn't argue with me either. Only advice I have is to try it and see what happens since stuff like this varies from country to country. For examplex, my X5M had a recall for injectors...something even our neighbors in Canada didn't get :-/

Someone on Reddit posted about needing the same service, I mentioned the TSB and he said he was able to save around $1400!! I hope many more continue using this TSB!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230321-194429.png
    Screenshot_20230321-194429.png
    674.8 KB · Views: 138
What other car mfg does that ? That goes to show you how good a person Elon really is
I'm not sure who gets the credit but I do find it odd that some people are so committed to their employer that they'll willing screw over and/or withhold info from their customers...I'd rather sleep well at night knowing I took care of my customers vs a $1400 attaboy I wouldn't see a dime of.

I will say though, for each notorious wear items I've needed, three times now they've been better priced new at the dealership than what I've seen online, eBay, Amazon, etc.

Last edited:
I was never told when I was at the SC months prior, but thankfully they didn't argue with me either. Only advice I have is to try it and see what happens since stuff like this varies from country to country. For examplex, my X5M had a recall for injectors...something even our neighbors in Canada didn't get :-/

Someone on Reddit posted about needing the same service, I mentioned the TSB and he said he was able to save around $1400!! I hope many more continue using this TSB!!
That guy was me and I hope you are enjoying a cold one tonight. Thanks again!

I would suggest everyone with the shudder issue look into getting them replaced with the TSB. If seems they don’t want to offer up that info because it would cut into their cost but the more people who do it and continue to do it the more likely they send it back to engineering and get a permanent fix.

I've said more than once I just got this done a month ago so please don't armchair mechanic your wrong information.

$180 for balljoints and upper control arms, $350 for halfshafts AND clevis. TSB# is also literally mentioned on the receipt.

@m5james - thanks for sharing this info, I'm going to submit a request for the TSB repair on the halfshafts as mine have started making noise (2017 MX P100D).

What did you do or say for the $180 balljoints? Is there a TSB for that (or maybe it's covered by the same one)? My left upper control arm is creaking so it would be great to get that done as well.

Thanks in advance!