Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla tape them on at the service center or screw them into the plastic? Wondering if I should call mine before my car comes in (supposedly next week) to let them know I don't want any holes in my bumper!
Talked to my service center here in Rockville, MD. They told me they actually don't put the front plate holder on unless owner ask them too. All the pictures and videos I see online don't have them on either. I think that's their default.

Talked to my service center here in Rockville, MD. They told me they actually don't put the front plate holder on unless owner ask them too. All the pictures and videos I see online don't have them on either. I think that's their default.
Do you plan on putting one on the front? I'm in MD as well, and I assumed Tesla would have to install it by law. If not, I would prefer not having one, but I don't want a reason to be pulled over either.

Do you plan on putting one on the front? I'm in MD as well, and I assumed Tesla would have to install it by law. If not, I would prefer not having one, but I don't want a reason to be pulled over either.
No I don't plan to. I don't have in on my model S now. I installed this for when I drive into DC since meter patrol there will ticket you for not having a front plate even if you don't live in DC. Planning to get something similar for the Y.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GRZKJ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_rMHFEbFR1Q2XH

No I don't plan to. I don't have in on my model S now. I installed this for when I drive into DC since meter patrol there will ticket you for not having a front plate even if you don't live in DC. Planning to get something similar for the Y.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GRZKJ/
Ok thanks for the info. That's good to know about parking in DC. I may look at the SnapPlate version as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed my SnapPlate on Saturday and I love it. Definitely a 5/5 from me. It's so easy to put on and take off. And comes with a screw to lock it in place if you'd prefer. My wife gave me a black frame from her car which I put on top and it makes it look pretty sharp. Would be better if it were matte, but given I didn't pay anything extra for it I can't really complain.

• Love
Reactions: Kbra
I got my SnapPlate Monday and have to say it is a nice piece of engineering!! Highly recommend one of these if you have to run a front plate in your state, super easy to take on and off and comes with a nice little tool case with a screwdriver if you use that to keep it more secure. Money well spent!!

• Love
Reactions: Kbra
Great to hear all these happy SnapPlate owners out there!

The Model Y SnapPlate is in full production and typically ships next day via USPS Priority Mail.

P1044089.jpeg

I got my SnapPlate Monday and have to say it is a nice piece of engineering!! Highly recommend one of these if you have to run a front plate in your state, super easy to take on and off and comes with a nice little tool case with a screwdriver if you use that to keep it more secure. Money well spent!!
how durable is the snapplate? i saw a video on youtube where the guy had just installed it on his Y and he literally "snapped" the frame part off like it was nothing.

Reactions: Stevedore
how durable is the snapplate? i saw a video on youtube where the guy had just installed it on his Y and he literally "snapped" the frame part off like it was nothing.

It seems to have some flex vs just being rigid where it would snap. But I guess if you push it the right way hard enough it would snap. It is 3d printed plastic so not super strong I would say, but I'm not too worried about breaking it. Curious to see the video you saw though.

I've been driving with it for two weeks. I am very happy with how solid it is. I don't know what video you're referring to but there are some impact test videos on the SnapPlate site. They also have extra parts available. Yes, it is 3D printed, but I don't mind that (actually as a bit of a tech geek I kind of like that fact). And I find the design nothing short of genius. They do say to remove the plate before driving through an automatic car wash. If you don't have the holder locked, it takes about 1 second to do (not that I have taken my MY through a car wash yet).

Also find people to say bad things on YouTube is pretty easy. Just look how many bad reviews of the Model Y there are. I'm not saying the SnapPlate is perfect, it clearly could be broken if you tried. But it gets the license plate up and out of the air flow into the cooling vent, it doesn't permanently attach to your car (with either screws or tape), and it looks like just another piece of black trim.

I did a lot of research before I ordered mine, read the good and the bad, and decided for me it was the right choice. Now that I have it and have been driving with itI am even happier. Is it right for you? I can't say that. But it is exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: BluestarE3
It seems to have some flex vs just being rigid where it would snap. But I guess if you push it the right way hard enough it would snap. It is 3d printed plastic so not super strong I would say, but I'm not too worried about breaking it. Curious to see the video you saw though.

at the 5 min mark. i myself am deciding between the snap plate and the ottosteer magnetic plate mount.

love how the snap plate comes off in seconds, leaving nothing behind.

However after seeing how easily it can snap off, I'm leaning more towards the ottosteer magnetic mount

I can completely understand. Everyone is looking for something specific to their needs. Just make sure the OTTOSTEER works on the Y. SnapPlate had to change their design for the Y, hence the reason I took delivery on my Y before I received the SnapPlate.

The Ottosteer for the Model 3 doesn’t work on the Y. I contacted them a couple weeks ago and they said they are still working on a Model Y specific version, but no ETA.

However after seeing how easily it can snap off, I'm leaning more towards the ottosteer magnetic mount

Same here (SnapPlate vs. Ottosteer), but more because I like the way the OEM mount looks. The SnapPlate creator mentioned in a different thread that they originally were planning on using the OEM mount but found that it scratches the paint if any debris gets lodged behind it. So pros and cons with either approach.

Maybe a license plate frame would make me like the SnapPlate more. The photo above also looks pretty good, the more I stare at it.

It looks like you need to put some force behind the SnapPlate to break it, so I’m less concerned about it snapping during normal use — and, also as the creator pointed out, breaking it is entirely intentional to prevent damaging the grill, which would be much more expensive to replace.