Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRONT LICENSE PLATE IN BAY AREA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered the Bandit on the 25th, arrived today. Took less than 5 min to get installed. . License looks better than I expected, so no complaints. Now have the tint removed and front plate on, time to visit the CHP to get my ticket signed off.

Ordered the Bandit on the 25th, arrived today. Took less than 5 min to get installed. . License looks better than I expected, so no complaints. Now have the tint removed and front plate on, time to visit the CHP to get my ticket signed off.

I installed mine this weekend and really like it. It was easy to follow the online video instructions and only took about 15 minutes.

did you guys use the security screw? or is the magnet strong enough that it doesn't require it?

I am getting one of the "sticker" ones. Waiting on my legacy plates, then will apply for the sticker plate for the front.

Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento

Wow, that is really cool! Think I'll order one right off... But has anyone tried to take the stock 'stick-on' front plate holder off, the one that cam with the car?? I hope I can get that thing off without pulling all of the paint off too. Anyone try it?

r

Just got my 2nd 'fix it' ticket in 2 years parking on the street in SF with my front license plate tossed up on top of the dashboard (not mounted on the bumper and not stashed away). When I got back home, I got out my roll of 3M automotive tape, stuck the plate and mounting bracket on the front bumper (actually the nose cone) of the 2015 S70D, took the car and ticket to my local LEO station. Officer signed it off (...and actually seemed kind of surprised that the SFMTA was giving out the tickets). I mailed it back to the SFMTA with my $10 check.

Oh, and I have already pulled the plate and bracket (and double sided tape) off, and they are back in the frunk for future use.

Digging more into this since I've never heard about it before, I'm not sure it's legit. Can someone who has it already confirm? Website looks kinda shady and there's no official endorsement by the DMV anywhere on the site or the DMV's site. Only thing I found were the legislative bills referenced, and those never mentioned a 3rd party only that they will be issued by "the department".

I've done this on my car. I probably put the plate about 5mm lower than I would have liked (to avoid interfering with the radar), so it looks not as good as I would like, but it's legit. I also managed to get it approximately 1mm lower on one side than the other, in spite of my best efforts to make it perfectly level and centered. It is important, in any case, to not put it any higher than the standard Tesla plate mount - which makes it kind of low, as it has to curl into the front lower opening. (The other thread describes some of these difficulties I think.)

In advance of receiving the wrap, I got an official letter from the California DMV saying this was a pilot program, and that if the pilot program were discontinued, I would need to "immediately" put the standard plate back on. And also I'm supposed to carry the normal plate in the car. (I plan to ignore these words of advice for the time being.)

Here are just a few pics of the parts that came with the order, what the mounted bracket looks like without the plate on, and where I store the license plate when not mounted.
So far, happy with the product

Attachments

• IMG_20190602_114924.jpg
    IMG_20190602_114924.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20190602_121413.jpg
    IMG_20190602_121413.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20190602_121809.jpg
    IMG_20190602_121809.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 52
I do not understand AT ALL the resistance of some to put proper identification on vehicles as required by law. Are they so vain? Why invite unwelcome attention? The excuse, " it spoils the looks " is lame. The disregard of the law about the plates is in the same league as those that break the rear windows. You deserve each other.

Curious if you have ever exceeded the speed limit?

• Love
Reactions: Scott7
Only by 7 mph at 70 mph highway limits and nothing above 250 kts where air-traffic control has a constant readout of your speed. The issue is really lax law enforcement in California. They don't care much about the front plates and they don't care much about the broken rear quarter panel windows. That's your environment.

Only by 7 mph at 70 mph highway limits
I do not understand AT ALL the insistence of some to disregard speed limits as required by law. Are they in such a hurry? Why risk their life and mine? The excuse, "I'm just going with traffic" is lame. They are in the same league as those that refuse to put a front plate on. You deserve each other.

EDIT: For the record, I have exceeded the speed limit while not displaying a front plate. I should probably lose my license.

I just got my 2nd fix-it ticket in downtown SF last week. I threw the front plate up on the dashboard (a trick I have used in the past). Guess the meter maid had other ideas. Got the ticket for the wrong plate location. Stuck it onto the nosecone (2015 S70D), drove to my local LEO, got it signed off, and sent in my $10 with the ticket. And, yes, just ordered the OttoSteer for my Model 3, and sent an e-mail to the developer/owner of OttoSteer about getting one for our original nose cone S (...he says not yet, but maybe soon...).