TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front License Plate Solution

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by KBurbridge14, Apr 4, 2018.

1. KBurbridge14

KBurbridge14 Member

In California, it is mandatory to have a front license plate. Like most Tesla owners, I don’t want to drill into the front of the car. I Purchased “the law“ to install the front license plate without having to drill into my precious X. I found it a rinky-dink and overly complicated solution. When my wife received her new model three, it came with a Tesla-supplied Mount that attaches to the car using adhesive only; it actually works quite well. I’m hoping and wondering If Tesla, or anyone, has made one of these for the model X.

Thank you in advance.

2. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

A little off topic, but a little tinkering and a $10 Home Depot gift card is all you need for a "no drill" solution.

3. FlyF4

FlyF4 Son of a MX

I guess at some point, I'll be interested in this as well. It is required in Nevada, but I didn't bother with the plate yet. I just keep it in the Frunk. One neighbor is a NHP and told me I may have to do it at some point if a "picky" NHP stops me, but it wasn't something he would mention unless the driver is nasty and has a history of trouble ;-) Just his policy.

I recently stopped for a traffic accident (someone else) in Sacramento and a CHP came up to get my witness statement. He looked at the front of my car as we stood in front of it and he asked "Where are you from?" I said Sparks, and he said "I think Nevada requires a front plate. Is that a new Tesla?" When I said no it is almost a year old, he said nothing else. So, as my neighbor says, I guess it depends on how picky they are. I'm not sure how the law has changed, but when I moved to California long ago with no front plate, I got a "fixit ticket" at the BART station. A no cost ticket, but it said I have 30 days to install the plate and have DMV sign off on it. Perhaps I will get another fixit ticket, but for now, I am also not interested mounting a front plate.

4. Jlindo

Jlindo Member

Does a new Model X when delivered have the front license plate bracket installed?

I'm hoping not as I do not intend to put a front plate on mine. (...June!)

5. kpalaniswami

kpalaniswami Member

• Like x 1
  6. FlyF4

FlyF4 Son of a MX

7. outie

outie Active Member

Mine did not come installed. Delivered in California.

8. rush6410

rush6410 Member

Similar solution. I used this kit. Works great as long as you wash by hand. Machines will hang up on the plate and possibly do grill that it is attached to.
    The Law: Front License Plate Bracket for Tesla Model X (No-Drill)

9. kpalaniswami

kpalaniswami Member

I see no issues with e
    I see no issues with it in car wash as it is flush to the bumper.

10. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

#10 Akikiki, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Someone came up with this idea way back when the S first started deliveries. It worked on the nosecone but it could fall off after a while when the cups lost adhesion. But it would hold for 3-4 days easily. I've got a refreshed S now. I took my factory mount off the car in the first four minutes after I got the new car home. For those few times that I need a plate, I use this. Cost was about $15 each for plastic plate and cups on Amazon. It sticks well on the refreshed front. And I use a ziptie or small short bungee cord to catch it if it loses adhesion and drops. I've left it on for as long as 11 days and it didn't fall. New cups hold up well.
    Suction Cup Plate.jpg

• Funny x 1
  11. FlyF4

FlyF4 Son of a MX

agree. I don't use car washes though, so no worry.

12. tarponman

tarponman Member

We've been driving our X for almost 2 years without a front license plate (required in NJ - wasn't installed at delivery but was given option - I'd say about 70% of the Tesla's we see have front plates). Was pulled over today just for the missing license plate. Showed officer plate in glove box and told him we were waiting for a good no-drill solution . Officer was very nice and gave us a warning, then proceeded to SC for installation (we said we would have it installed if we ever got ticketed fortunately we saved the fine).

• Like x 1
  13. tizio

tizio Member

• Funny x 1
  14. FlyF4

FlyF4 Son of a MX

not sure is you are talking about a fine for not having a front plate or a fine for another reason. In most states, it is not a fine. It is a no-cost "fix-it" ticket. Maybe in NJ it is a fine.

15. ptdavzo

ptdavzo Member

16. ptdavzo

ptdavzo Member

Oh boy, don’t go to NYC. It’s a nice ticket for sure, and it will be given while parked as well.

• Informative x 1
  17. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I once won a contest. First prize was a trip for a week in NYC. Second prize was two weeks.

• Funny x 2
  18. FlyF4

FlyF4 Son of a MX

Good thought, but in reality an insignificant about of air flow. It's not like the Tesla depends on that little airflow.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. tarponman

tarponman Member

In NJ it is a fine - I believe somebody in Delivery Center said $100+ but I can't confirm that. According to the article below people are getting ticketed/fined for obstructed license plates.

N.J. license plate, windshield obstruction tickets: Are dealer frames illegal?

20. ckwong

ckwong Member

After a few google searches and the fine is indeed $100 for no front plate in NJ.