Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In California, it is mandatory to have a front license plate. Like most Tesla owners, I don’t want to drill into the front of the car. I Purchased “the law“ to install the front license plate without having to drill into my precious X. I found it a rinky-dink and overly complicated solution. When my wife received her new model three, it came with a Tesla-supplied Mount that attaches to the car using adhesive only; it actually works quite well. I’m hoping and wondering If Tesla, or anyone, has made one of these for the model X.

Thank you in advance.

In California, it is mandatory to have a front license plate. Like most Tesla owners, I don’t want to drill into the front of the car. I Purchased “the law“ to install the front license plate without having to drill into my precious X. I found it a rinky-dink and overly complicated solution. When my wife received her new model three, it came with a Tesla-supplied Mount that attaches to the car using adhesive only; it actually works quite well. I’m hoping and wondering If Tesla, or anyone, has made one of these for the model X.

Thank you in advance.
A little off topic, but a little tinkering and a $10 Home Depot gift card is all you need for a "no drill" solution.

I guess at some point, I'll be interested in this as well. It is required in Nevada, but I didn't bother with the plate yet. I just keep it in the Frunk. One neighbor is a NHP and told me I may have to do it at some point if a "picky" NHP stops me, but it wasn't something he would mention unless the driver is nasty and has a history of trouble ;-) Just his policy.

I recently stopped for a traffic accident (someone else) in Sacramento and a CHP came up to get my witness statement. He looked at the front of my car as we stood in front of it and he asked "Where are you from?" I said Sparks, and he said "I think Nevada requires a front plate. Is that a new Tesla?" When I said no it is almost a year old, he said nothing else. So, as my neighbor says, I guess it depends on how picky they are. I'm not sure how the law has changed, but when I moved to California long ago with no front plate, I got a "fixit ticket" at the BART station. A no cost ticket, but it said I have 30 days to install the plate and have DMV sign off on it. Perhaps I will get another fixit ticket, but for now, I am also not interested mounting a front plate.

Someone came up with this idea way back when the S first started deliveries. It worked on the nosecone but it could fall off after a while when the cups lost adhesion. But it would hold for 3-4 days easily. I've got a refreshed S now. I took my factory mount off the car in the first four minutes after I got the new car home. For those few times that I need a plate, I use this. Cost was about $15 each for plastic plate and cups on Amazon. It sticks well on the refreshed front. And I use a ziptie or small short bungee cord to catch it if it loses adhesion and drops. I've left it on for as long as 11 days and it didn't fall. New cups hold up well.
Suction Cup Plate.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Ketchups
We've been driving our X for almost 2 years without a front license plate (required in NJ - wasn't installed at delivery but was given option - I'd say about 70% of the Tesla's we see have front plates). Was pulled over today just for the missing license plate. Showed officer plate in glove box and told him we were waiting for a good no-drill solution . Officer was very nice and gave us a warning, then proceeded to SC for installation (we said we would have it installed if we ever got ticketed fortunately we saved the fine).

Reactions: ptdavzo