Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front motor disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S 90D 2015. On longer trips (+80 km/50 miles) I get these errors:

Front motor disabled - Power reduced
Car needs service - Power reduced

So I took it to Tesla and after much debate whether they would even look at it, they did, and came back saying it's missing a drain plug (presumably on the front motor?) and there was no oil left. They refilled and sent me on my way.

Hang on, driving around with no oil? Really? I have yet to take a long trip to see if it actually resolved the fault.

Anyone had this error message?

Had it on the same model and same message. Tesla immediately took the car in and said they would not want me to rely on it. They gave me a loaner and on Monday, after 6 weeks in the SeC, I'll get mine back. They said they needed to exchange the motor, sounds like a different issue than in yours.

On another note: the loaner is a P90D, curious how it will feel to step back to the regular S90D after so many weeks...

Had it on the same model and same message. Tesla immediately took the car in and said they would not want me to rely on it. They gave me a loaner and on Monday, after 6 weeks in the SeC, I'll get mine back. They said they needed to exchange the motor, sounds like a different issue than in yours.

On another note: the loaner is a P90D, curious how it will feel to step back to the regular S90D after so many weeks...
Did it really take a month and a half to replace a motor? Surprised they gave you a P90D, let alone a Tesla loaner...is that normal or dependent on your SC? I thought it was Uber credits nowadays?

Loaner would have been nice but no such luck.

Anyhow I am still concerned about this issue that Tesla think is solved, take a listen - should it be this loud?

Had to grab a headset but doesn't sound too bad. A failing drive motor (a P85 loaner I got from my service center when my car was getting the screen border UV repair had a failing motor) is LOUD and sounds like a buzz-saw when the car is moving.

Loaner would have been nice but no such luck.

Anyhow I am still concerned about this issue that Tesla think is solved, take a listen - should it be this loud?

Front or rear? Either way I would push to have it replaced. To me it sounds louder than all the model s I have driven whether it's an older or new one and I think I'm up to 12 model S

Yes it really took 6 weeks. There was no noise, but much less power when the front motor failed.

Car is 3 years old but with only 6k miles / 10k kms, maybe that is why I got a loaner. Based in Europe. When the drive unit failed I was thinking why didn't I get an etron or EQC where I know service works well and fast. With the quick loaner Tesla has calmed me in that regard. They came back next working day saying I should drop by, app had given me an appointment 10 weeks later.

Nonetheless a hassle. The car doesnt have my cities parking permit sticker, so lots of extra cost. Also it is a bit neglected (seat not fixed but has some play, leather makes funny noise, above 100 kph the back motor whines, puddle lights don't all work, the trunk is smelly...). Still ok to get it, staff extremely friendly.

Reactions: BulldogsRus