Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Radar sensor water intrusion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
June build 2021 model s here with radar still installed, has anyone else had this done recently?

I’ve had fsd for like a year now with radar not enabled (or so we think), wonder why they need to replace the front radar sensor if they were going to stick with tesla Vision.

Attachments

• E6768376-0EB0-45AB-A281-0B8140074A8A.jpeg
    E6768376-0EB0-45AB-A281-0B8140074A8A.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 252
I presume the device is still checking itself, and would throw an error if there was a problem. What the other systems do with that error is up to Tesla programmers. In your case, perhaps it was not having any errors, but water intrusion was observed as damaging the radar. Why was the radar checked? In any event, no cost, no problem. Best to have it good in case the HD radar being installed during 2023 will be avaibale for retrofit when Tesla goes to re-enabling the new radar for new builds again.

Reactions: vberber
I presume the device is still checking itself, and would throw an error if there was a problem. What the other systems do with that error is up to Tesla programmers. In your case, perhaps it was not having any errors, but water intrusion was observed as damaging the radar. Why was the radar checked? In any event, no cost, no problem. Best to have it good in case the HD radar being installed during 2023 will be avaibale for retrofit when Tesla goes to re-enabling the new radar for new builds again.
Not sure why radar was checked tbh, as I only set up appointment for my driver seat issues, my appointment isn’t till the 29th. I’ll see if I can get more info on that date.

Not sure why radar was checked tbh, as I only set up appointment for my driver seat issues, my appointment isn’t till the 29th. I’ll see if I can get more info on that date.
This was added to my car for upcoming appointment. I asked and was told it’s actually the ultrasonic parking sensors that must be checked, similar to how they add the hydraulic brake wake up wire fix for 2021 cars. Take it with grain of salt, given I’m not sure the service center guy was accurate.

This was added to my car for upcoming appointment. I asked and was told it’s actually the ultrasonic parking sensors that must be checked, similar to how they add the hydraulic brake wake up wire fix for 2021 cars. Take it with grain of salt, given I’m not sure the service center guy was accurate.
The ultrasonic sensors are not longer installed either., but they will probably realize the are critical limits without the sensors with the cameras in their current positions.

Yea i had the same thing. They want to replace the front radar because of water intrusion. My car is model s 2022. I’m hesitanot because I don’t know what that means. I have PPF installed and am concerned that it may disrupt the PPF on the car..
It’s difficult to ascertain if the front radar is replaced through entry into frunk or through the front bumper. I can’t tell from the photo…

Attachments

• 5DE69313-9C5D-4155-94CE-84892D96B3F9.jpeg
    5DE69313-9C5D-4155-94CE-84892D96B3F9.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 128
Yes it’s the radar itself, not the parking sensors.
yea, i;m really confused and really did not get a clear answer from tesla as i thought radar is no longer being used as per the public announcement below:

"In 2021, we began our transition to Tesla Vision by removing radar from Model 3 and Model Y, followed by Model S and Model X in 2022. Today, in most regions around the globe, these vehicles now rely on Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system."

The new radar without potential water intrusion is a whole new part number, nothing to be worried about just udated rev. Confirmed after my service visit.
how was the installation? I ask because I have PPF installed on the front bumper and tesla says it will impact the PPF due to removal of bumper and flexing. I talked to the installer and they told me not to worry and flexing won't hurt the PPF.

yea, i;m really confused and really did not get a clear answer from tesla as i thought radar is no longer being used as per the public announcement below:

"In 2021, we began our transition to Tesla Vision by removing radar from Model 3 and Model Y, followed by Model S and Model X in 2022. Today, in most regions around the globe, these vehicles now rely on Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system."

This mentions sensors but the announcement above specifically refers to "Radar"

how was the installation? I ask because I have PPF installed on the front bumper and tesla says it will impact the PPF due to removal of bumper and flexing. I talked to the installer and they told me not to worry and flexing won't hurt the PPF.
Shouldn’t affect it, just think they don’t wanna be liable if anything does happen, mine has ppf and still has parking sensors, had no problem with mine, but they do need to remove the front fascia to access it. Also check your front end fit before cause they’re notorious at not properly adjusting the front end fit to spec.

Reactions: black knight 3