Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen charger door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
both the charge port door and door handles were frozen shut. There wasn’t an ice storm. Maybe there was moisture in the air,
As many around here found out yesterday, there doesn’t have to be an ice storm for door handles to freeze. Just moisture and a quick drop in temperature will do it.

My son was telling me that people he works with had their door handles frozen when they were parked in a garage. They had been out in the rain earlier and then parked inside when the temps dropped.

The new app icon to open the door is GREAT, I used it several times since yesterday as all doors were frozen. What I like about the credit card trick is that you can do it anywhere. I would be hard to find a plastic bag and warm water at a super charger.
I don’t ever recall my ICE car having an issue to open the tank lid. Honestly this is a bit of a design flaw IMHO.

I had so much ice on my fuel door that I had to beat on it with my fist to get it to open in my EVO and other ICE cars a few times. The difference is that the fuel door is metal and can be beaten into submissions without to much concern... the automated plastic charge port door is both automated (I don't want to beat on it for that reason) and plastic (brittle when cold... don't want to beat on it for that reason as well).

Keith

PS: Bolt owners actually have an aftermarket rubberized insert we can put around the charge cable that covers the open charge port to prevent problems in freezing rain / heavy snow... surprised there is not an aftermarket solution for the Tesla... or is there and nobody has mentioned it?

Reactions: SWIPE
^ Great idea, and probably better than a plastic grocery bag, which I have used for the Y and also my Prius Prime charging ports. Hey, EVANEX and other aftermarket accessory vendors, are you reading this?

i-gWwxVZK-S.jpg

Something like this?

Bolt has aluminum fenders, so that one would not work for us. It was something developed by a Bolt owner a few years back. I don't live in a snow area any more so I don't remember who made the one I am thinking of. It was more of a foam rubber insert that stayed in the port due to friction. The Bolt port like many non-Tesla's is sort of recessed into the body so you have a cavity that can be filled with the foam rubber insert. For the Tesla port, I think something mounted / attached to the charge cable itself that goes around the port might be best.

Keith