Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen GPS/Map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 Model S Plaid, same frozen nav, just map, screen issue basically from new June 2023 to now Nov 2023. Moving map freezing and not able to use navigate or even Home Link for garage door operations. Multi yoke reboots…nothing. I have been to the Tesla Service Center three times now for this same issue and to date, 1st visit, a part ordered in advance but, said they received the wrong part. 2nd visit, had it for 6 hours and said they needed to order a pillar camera harness. 3rd visit, GPS changed, asked about the pillar camera they said it was fine. The map worked for a couple weeks and now back to frozen, image below taken 11/21/2023.

Fourth visit to the SC now booked. Now looking into South Carolina Lemmon Laws.
See my reply above.

Have a model S that I bought on Nov 4, 2023. Having the same GPS freezing issue intermittently. Brought it to a service center today, which had ordered a new GPS antenna and cable, but then they said it was a known firmware issue, so nothing to repair hardware-wise. (Not sure why they couldn't have told me that before ordering the parts and having me bring the car in.) But they also said I had the latest firmware (for the last nine days). Unfortunately, the issue occurred again three days ago. Very frustrating. I'm left with waiting for Tesla to fix it with a firmware update. I'm feeling very little confidence that they understand this problem or that it will be fixed. Time will tell. (Otherwise, I love this car!)
See my update above.

Reactions: 767400
I took my Model S in again at the beginning of December 2023. This is the fourth time for the NAV/Map freezing issue. They kept the car for five days and said it was fixed. Their explanation was ”there was interference with USB drive in the glove box with the GPS”. Then a few days later the NAV froze again. My concern is they don’t have a clue why this is happening. Four visits with GPS antenna changed, side pillar camera in question, and the USB issue all to no avail. I have sent in the Lemon Law certified mail to Tesla as well as starting the Lemon Law process with the Tesla Service Center. I’m at approximately 20+ hours driving to the Service Center, waiting, and leaving with a loner and ZERO fixes to date. I like the car but not at the expense of safety with zero nav capabilities and moving map.

Attachments

• IMG_2150.jpeg
    IMG_2150.jpeg
    997.8 KB · Views: 34
Root cause on my 2021 model 3 with 30k mileage was traced down to PC overheating.

Lots of issues, Frozen maps, cruise control , high static on a phone calls and some load cracking noises passenger side - sounded like windscreen cracking or stones hitting it. Did it 4 times- left it parked across the road not on the drive in case it was going to go on fire.

Root cause was ventilation blocked up for cooling fan on Computer. Which is situated on model 3 behind glove box, Can only think all the debris came in visa the Frunk somehow.

All back to normal I had a difficult 2 weeks . It was random and intermittent and I assumed bad USB stick or interface.
Always resolved after parking car up for 10 minutes.

Then about 10 minutes in to the drive all the cameras,maps, etc start playing up.

All makes since now, don’t know what the noises where, but no electrical smells.

I would know as I am a electrical engineer