Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen GPS/Map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What have you tried already (beside posting here I mean)?
Thanks for responding. I have it working now.

I first tried a reboot by changing the tire size and back, but that didn't work.

I next tried to reboot screen by going to safety, the turn off and that didn't work.

I finally rebooted by holding both scroll wheels and that worked!

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin
When you do the "power off" in the safety menu, you need to wait a while before you turn it back on. I always suggest at least 10 minutes. You need to wait for the car to actually go to sleep, after you power it off using the menu, at least that has been my own personal experience. I do that by leaving the car door open, selecting power off in the menu, then exiting the car through the still open door and closing it.

That way you can go inside the house, or whatever, and check it "later" vs sitting in the car with the power off, which feels like forever if you do that.

Our 2023 Model S just spent three days in service over this issue. I had tried all of the reboot/wheel change tricks but it keeps leaving the cursor for the car at my starting point. On recent trip it would stay back at the previous night's hotel.

They couldn't fix it and said to look for a firmware update as others are having the same issue.

Anyone else been told this?

Our 2023 Model S just spent three days in service over this issue. I had tried all of the reboot/wheel change tricks but it keeps leaving the cursor for the car at my starting point. On recent trip it would stay back at the previous night's hotel.

They couldn't fix it and said to look for a firmware update as others are having the same issue.

Anyone else been told this?
My 2023 Model S just started doing this 2 days ago. I tried all the resets, even unplugged the battery. Nothing worked. Scheduled a service but my service center delayed it until later this month because they have to order a bunch of parts apparently. They said nothing about waiting for a firmware update.

Hi , I had the same issue on a 2023 model s plaid. it always happens when i charge the car for a huge % amount. power offs multiple times or dual button resets and driving for a few minutes tends to fix it. I booked a service to get it checked. it seems like a software / firmware bug.

My 2023 Model S just started doing this 2 days ago. I tried all the resets, even unplugged the battery. Nothing worked. Scheduled a service but my service center delayed it until later this month because they have to order a bunch of parts apparently. They said nothing about waiting for a firmware update.
Please let us know what parts were changed and what they said. Not sure my service center gets it.

Hi , I had the same issue on a 2023 model s plaid. it always happens when i charge the car for a huge % amount. power offs multiple times or dual button resets and driving for a few minutes tends to fix it. I booked a service to get it checked. it seems like a software / firmware bug.
Our Model S keeps doing this. I keep sending bug reports. Going to have to set another repair visit soon to push them.

Meanwhile I can’t determine which software updates include firmware updates.

On my first appointment it didn't act up, so after it came home, when it acted up I went into the service mode and shot photos of the GPS seeing no satellites.

The photos helped.
Yeah , I took some photos with me. I am heading to pick up the car now. they mentioned that there is a faulty connector, which they ordered ( its currently not in stock ). , and they said its partially due to firmware too and said wait for an update.

Despite new GPS antenna it is continuing to freeze the GPS. I noticed one thing that may be part of the problem or not. When it was frozen I removed the USB stick in the glove compartment and the GPS reorientated. Don't know if this is just a coincidence.

@rnzaabi you should try this if you are frozen.

Despite new GPS antenna it is continuing to freeze the GPS. I noticed one thing that may be part of the problem or not. When it was frozen I removed the USB stick in the glove compartment and the GPS reorientated. Don't know if this is just a coincidence.

@rnzaabi you should try this if you are frozen.
Hi- having this same issue with my new X. Was SC able to fix it? They’re having someone look at it over air but I have a mobile visit scheduled for next week. It’s happened twice, and I’m afraid the day mobile comes out it will be working.

2023 Model S Plaid, same frozen nav, just map, screen issue basically from new June 2023 to now Nov 2023. Moving map freezing and not able to use navigate or even Home Link for garage door operations. Multi yoke reboots…nothing. I have been to the Tesla Service Center three times now for this same issue and to date, 1st visit, a part ordered in advance but, said they received the wrong part. 2nd visit, had it for 6 hours and said they needed to order a pillar camera harness. 3rd visit, GPS changed, asked about the pillar camera they said it was fine. The map worked for a couple weeks and now back to frozen, image below taken 11/21/2023.

Fourth visit to the SC now booked. Now looking into South Carolina Lemmon Laws.

Attachments

• IMG_5293.jpeg
    IMG_5293.jpeg
    603.2 KB · Views: 106
Have a model S that I bought on Nov 4, 2023. Having the same GPS freezing issue intermittently. Brought it to a service center today, which had ordered a new GPS antenna and cable, but then they said it was a known firmware issue, so nothing to repair hardware-wise. (Not sure why they couldn't have told me that before ordering the parts and having me bring the car in.) But they also said I had the latest firmware (for the last nine days). Unfortunately, the issue occurred again three days ago. Very frustrating. I'm left with waiting for Tesla to fix it with a firmware update. I'm feeling very little confidence that they understand this problem or that it will be fixed. Time will tell. (Otherwise, I love this car!)

Hi- having this same issue with my new X. Was SC able to fix it? They’re having someone look at it over air but I have a mobile visit scheduled for next week. It’s happened twice, and I’m afraid the day mobile comes out it will be working.
New repair was to replace and reroute coaxial cable due to electromagnetic interference. Took over 15 days to diagnose and repair. Here are the repair notes:

Repair Notes: Duplicated issue in service. Diagnosed and confirmed electromagnetic interference causing issues with GPS reception and autopilot features. Re-routed coaxial harness away from interference emitters and replaced GPS antenna with newest revision updated part. Performed electromagnetic interference insulation for cabin camera. Function tested after repairs and unable to duplicate issue. Concern is now resolved