Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen Windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Windows seem to be stuck to the doors from this cold weather (10 degrees). What is the best (safest) way to get them un-stuck?

I have heard using a credit card? Pouring warm water? Defrost for 30 min?
Never pour warm or hot water onto glass; the warm water will freeze just adding to the ice, the hot water will cause the glass to crack or shatter.

Open the Tesla app and find the hidden command to defrost the Tesla Model Y.
(Press and hold any of the four standard function icons and the app will display additional functions. Drag the icon for defrosting the vehicle onto the row and save. Press the defrost vehicle icon, wait ~20 minutes. How long it takes to defrost will depend on the temperature and how much snow and ice is on the vehicle.)

Reactions: bobbyjae
Today this happened to me. Frozen doors and windows. Since I wasn't driving anywhere I didn't preheat the car (but that doesn't really warm up the exterior of the door anyway). In other words I pressed the door handle and the door opened... But the glass didn't roll down as usual as it was solid frozen. I freed the glass soon after but my question is: is it really bad for the car / trim /whatever when doors open but window stays in place due to freeze? It happened about 2 3 times today to each door, but first time this winter (and winter will be over soon). Thx.

Today this happened to me. Frozen doors and windows. Since I wasn't driving anywhere I didn't preheat the car (but that doesn't really warm up the exterior of the door anyway). In other words I pressed the door handle and the door opened... But the glass didn't roll down as usual as it was solid frozen. I freed the glass soon after but my question is: is it really bad for the car / trim /whatever when doors open but window stays in place due to freeze? It happened about 2 3 times today to each door, but first time this winter (and winter will be over soon). Thx.
If you simply preheat the car this will be a non issue.

You don't want to force open or fully close the door if the window is frozen. The seal can be damaged; the window can shatter.

In cold weather you may notice that the Tesla Model Y automatically lowers the windows a few millimeters so that the top edge of the window does not get stuck to the door window seal. This does not address the window freezing to the flocking at the top of the door where the window lowers into the door. Deicer spray can help if this seal freezes. You can also use a spray bottle filled with 70% or 90% Isopropyl alcohol to melt ice that forms when the flocking gets wet.

Turn on the Climate Control using the Tesla app; there is now a button to defrost the Model Y. Depending on the amount of ice and the temperature this can take up to 30 minutes but probably much less time.

Last edited: