Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frugal 2019 Model 3 New Buyer Tips and Tricks Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've put together the following Frugal 2019 Model 3 New Buyer Tips and Tricks Guide

What follows is a summary of the key tips and tricks I picked up on my recent Model 3 SR buying and initial ownership experience. I suspect that I’m a part of a new generation of ‘frugal’ Tesla owners that have been waiting for our $35K chance to experience all the greatness. I personally worked my way up the EV Ladder over the past year, starting with a used Fiat 500e, a 2018 Leaf, and now I’ve got the first registered SR+ in Nebraska. This guide is my way of giving back to all those who shared with me on my journey. Thanks to many of you to contributing to my experience.

Here are the sections I've included
  • Before buying
  • At Pickup
  • While your car is on order – go deal shopping
  • Things I learned after buying
  • Things I still want to learn

Please reply to this post with your experiences and I'll see what I can do to add in your tips.

Hi Scott nice tip section. I thought I would mention that if you plan to get your car ceramic coated, don't do this first if you also intend to go the PPF (paint protection film or clearbra) route. The PPF will have a hard time adhering to the ceramic coating. Ceramic can be applied on top of PPF. Think PPF for protection from scrapes, car dings, rock chips on your car, and ceramic for ease in washing the dirt and bird droppings off your car. It doesn't not protect you from rock chips. Does give the car a great shine. There are different levels of protection for both products. PPF can be done to the whole car or to sections depending on the area you want protected. Even if you are a frugal buyer, you might still feel partial coverage, like the front bumper and hood, is important to you. Do a lot of research on PPF and go with a highly recommended installer before buying it. Each BTW has it's own "life expectancy".

Congrats on being the first Tesla Model 3 SR+ in the State of Nebraska! Hopefully you won't be alone for long. Do you see other Model S and Xs in your area?

if you plan to get your car ceramic coated, don't do this first if you also intend to go the PPF (paint protection film or clearbra) route.

Do you see other Model S and Xs in your area?
Thanks for the tip, I may look into PPF/bra for the bumper.

I do see a number of S and X in town, and there are four other model 3 at my office. I also got my first referral this weekend after giving a seeker a test drive last week; so we have the genesis of a revolution coming to the heartland. Pretty excited about that.

• Love
Reactions: SMAlset
Getting ready to buy a Tesla (either a new M3 or Pre-Owned MS) and I just saved your tips. Appreciate your efforts to help newbs. As a long time Corvette owner (owned 7 since 1972) I since a similar kinship with Tesla owners as I have had over the decades of Corvette ownership.

Hi Scott nice tip section. I thought I would mention that if you plan to get your car ceramic coated, don't do this first if you also intend to go the PPF (paint protection film or clearbra) route. The PPF will have a hard time adhering to the ceramic coating. Ceramic can be applied on top of PPF. Think PPF for protection from scrapes, car dings, rock chips on your car, and ceramic for ease in washing the dirt and bird droppings off your car. It doesn't not protect you from rock chips. Does give the car a great shine. There are different levels of protection for both products. PPF can be done to the whole car or to sections depending on the area you want protected. Even if you are a frugal buyer, you might still feel partial coverage, like the front bumper and hood, is important to you. Do a lot of research on PPF and go with a highly recommended installer before buying it. Each BTW has it's own "life expectancy".

Congrats on being the first Tesla Model 3 SR+ in the State of Nebraska! Hopefully you won't be alone for long. Do you see other Model S and Xs in your area?
I just purchased a new MS and have concerns about PPF in the long term. Our daughter has a vehicle that the PPF is now cracking (6 years old). Any recommendations on a brand and how it holds up over time?

I just purchased a new MS and have concerns about PPF in the long term. Our daughter has a vehicle that the PPF is now cracking (6 years old). Any recommendations on a brand and how it holds up over time?

We went with Xpel on both of our cars — and their top of the the product -- thickest film and longest warranty period. My husband’s was done about a year and half before mine and during that time they changed up what they were producing to improve the product, mine a bit thicker I think. Anyway both products have a 10-year warranty against yellowing and peeling etc.

We have our cars parked outside but it hasn’t been years yet so can’t speak to the longevity and any warranty issues. Having PPF on our cars (we added ceramic coating on top btw), we feel the scratch, road stones, etc protection it offers makes it worth the cost if you plan to keep your car. Eventually PPF will need to be removed so it does have a lifespan. Should depend on conditions the car was kept in. In any event I’d say go with the best level of protection that makes sense for you, a company’s product that is well rated (Xpel would be one), and an experienced installer who will give you a quality application. A certified installer could save you time and money. See their work ahead of time and make sure you understand what you are buying—including what will be covered in PPF and what parts will be wrapped and not. Ask about the warranty and what they’ve seen about replacement time in general. You’ll see threads on TMC by people who didn’t ask enough questions or see the installers work and then were unhappy with the work.

Last edited:
We went with Xpel on both of our cars — and their top of the the product -- thickest film and longest warranty period. My husband’s was done about a year and half before mine and during that time they changed up what they were producing to improve the product, mine a bit thicker I think. Anyway both products have a 10-year warranty against yellowing and peeling etc.

We have our cars parked outside but it hasn’t been years yet so can’t speak to the longevity and any warranty issues. Having PPF on our cars (we added ceramic coating on top btw), we feel the scratch, road stones, etc protection it offers makes it worth the cost if you plan to keep your car. Eventually PPF will need to be removed so it does have a lifespan. Should depend on conditions the car was kept in. In any event I’d say go with the best level of protection that makes sense for you, a company’s product that is well rated (Xpel would be one), and an experienced installer who will give you a quality application. A certified installer could save you time and money. See their work ahead of time and make sure you understand what you are buying—including what will be covered in PPF and what parts will be wrapped and not. Ask about the warranty and what they’ve seen about replacement time in general. You’ll see threads on TMC by people who didn’t ask enough questions or see the installers work and then were unhappy with the work.
Thanks for the very informative reply.
I will take your advice and schedule an installation.

Reactions: SMAlset
Sorry, I dont have experience with ppf to be able to offer quality info. I would hope that even if it ages/yellows or cracks you could pull it off an be back to where you started.

I've put together the following Frugal 2019 Model 3 New Buyer Tips and Tricks Guide

What follows is a summary of the key tips and tricks I picked up on my recent Model 3 SR buying and initial ownership experience. I suspect that I’m a part of a new generation of ‘frugal’ Tesla owners that have been waiting for our $35K chance to experience all the greatness. I personally worked my way up the EV Ladder over the past year, starting with a used Fiat 500e, a 2018 Leaf, and now I’ve got the first registered SR+ in Nebraska. This guide is my way of giving back to all those who shared with me on my journey. Thanks to many of you to contributing to my experience.

Here are the sections I've included
  • Before buying
  • At Pickup
  • While your car is on order – go deal shopping
  • Things I learned after buying
  • Things I still want to learn

Please reply to this post with your experiences and I'll see what I can do to add in your tips.

Enjoyable read, nice work. Thanks for that 100 things you never new link. Will look over it later :)

August update attached. If possible, try to use the google link for the latest version and updates, but this should get you started. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Frugal 2019 Model 3 New Buyer Tips and Tricks Guide - Google Docs.pdf
    178.4 KB · Views: 140
May 2020 update attached - I traded in my 2019 SR+ on a 2019 Performance model and added a section on what I learned about buying used, and what special steps you need to take to prep your car for trade in.

Attachments

• Frugal 2019 Model 3 New Buyer Tips and Tricks Guide - May 2020 update.pdf
    158.6 KB · Views: 97