Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk Hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Removal of the commando plug is something I can agree with. For most they will only be useful if they stay at a caravan site. It will save tens or hundreds of thousands of these adaptors being made and never used.

One of our local shopping centres offers EV charging using the blue commando adapter so I'm thankful it was included in mine.

I collected my SR+ in late August and it came with the Tesla 3 pin cable/adapter and a blue Type-Type2 cable. Is that what's meant to be included?

I believe it should also have included a 16 A commando adaper in the bag with the UMC. I picked mine up on 22nd November and it had both the 13 A adapter lead and the 16 A commando adapter lead in the UMC bag.

The 32 A Type 2 lead was in a separate plastic bag (pity they didn't put this in a bag like the UMC, too, keeps the under-boot area cleaner). I bought a fabric bag to stow the Type 2 lead, just to keep things a bit cleaner, as in my experience Type 2 leads can get wet and dirty in use.

I believe it should also have included a 16 A commando adaper in the bag with the UMC. I picked mine up on 22nd November and it had both the 13 A adapter lead and the 16 A commando adapter lead in the UMC bag.

The 32 A Type 2 lead was in a separate plastic bag (pity they didn't put this in a bag like the UMC, too, keeps the under-boot area cleaner). I bought a fabric bag to stow the Type 2 lead, just to keep things a bit cleaner, as in my experience Type 2 leads can get wet and dirty in use.

Thanks for confirming. I'll check the UMC bag for the commando adapter! Haven't looked in there since I took out the cable when I collected it so may not have noticed it in my excitement at collecting the car!

I'm starting to think mine was built at an ideal time as I got frunk hooks, floor mats (no frunk mat though), commando adapter, door bin lights (apparently those don't get fitted any more) and seemingly don't have a pedestrian warning speaker (despite having the grille for it.) Just seems really weird that relatively trivial things seem to be getting intentionally omitted!

Admittedly I have no use currently for the commando adapter at the moment, but I think it's useful to have. It's at least a fairly common connector and just an adapter. The number of things I've previously bought that supply either 3 or 4 different plug fittings or include both a US and a UK power plug attached to a cable... Having said that, I also wouldn't have a problem with the adapter being sold as an optional accessory. But the frunk hooks? Should be included IMO.

Here's some closer pictures of one of the frunk hooks for those wondering what they look like. For some reason I thought they worked like the coat hooks but actually they're pretty simple - no spring mechanism, just poke the front of it inward and it tilts forward.

These pictures are from above:

upload_2020-1-4_11-8-29.png

upload_2020-1-4_11-8-36.png

Anyone know the real reason why frunk hooks are no longer supplied?

Can’t believe it would be down to cost savings as it literally would be penny savings.

What’s the next thing that could disappear? The single coat hook on the rear passenger side? Or new cars already being delivered without this?
I heard because of mass production in model 3 orders been over 350k in the last Q4 the hooks was one they could stop to speed up production orders.

2020 model 3 will neither have those hooks nor frunk mats

Is this the same for the ambient door bin lights too? I have read that they have been removed, is this for all models or just SR/LR?

As far as I'm aware it's all "2020" models.

One of the posts in this thread mention that the hole is still present in the door, but the light is gone:
MASTER THREAD: 2020 model year Model 3 and the differences, if any, from 2019

...which is, again, pretty silly if it's an intended design change. No info on whether the wiring for it is present or not.

The door bin lights are recessed (as opposed to the other ambient lights which snap into place) making them more awkward to replace.

Almost as cheap as not giving me the aero covers with my car!

Almost as cheap as not giving me the rubber accelerator pedal with my 9/28/2018 end of Q3 car! I was unknowingly driving 1000's of miles (sorry! kilometers) with my shoe on the metal bracket underneath. I only found out it was missing when I installed an aftermarket "performance" pedal upgrade. The Fremont Service Center rep said I would have to go to the Fremont Delivery Center to "get this added to you due bill". "I just can't give away parts to people who claim their car didn't come with them."

WTF! I paid over $60K USD for this car and now I'm going to "steal" a rubber accelerator pedal from them when I already paid $34.39 for anti-slip aluminum ones they can see on my car? I only requested the missing rubber pedal in case I can move my fancy ones to my future Model Y.

Now that #Cybertruck has been revealed, I might just skip Model Y altogether and go with the ultimate Urban Assault Vehicle instead. :cool:

Reactions: Skully
Regarding the door bin lights: This is how they look and where they are installed (front passenger side at least - the rear doors are similar but have a curved opening.)

View attachment 496389

Thanks Nightowl so, the bulb is recessed in the aperture but, there is no plastic cover over the aperture as standard? Seems to me that if the wiring loom is the same and connectors are still present on the 2020 then they may be able to be retrofitted but, fiddly to get done.

I only checked the front left door and the rear right door but neither of them had a covering for the bulb so I'm assuming all my doors are like that. In a way it doesn't matter much as you probably won't notice it unless you specifically go looking for it and compare it to the other ambient lights. Been looking to see if there's any teardowns of the doors online etc. as I'm curious about the wiring and how difficult it would be to install or change those bulbs.

I only checked the front left door and the rear right door but neither of them had a covering for the bulb so I'm assuming all my doors are like that. In a way it doesn't matter much as you probably won't notice it unless you specifically go looking for it and compare it to the other ambient lights. Been looking to see if there's any teardowns of the doors online etc. as I'm curious about the wiring and how difficult it would be to install or change those bulbs.

Agree that the traditional plastic covers are not important due the placement.

link for trim removal here if it helps?

https://youtu.be/Na0AWXMFFEo

Reactions: nightowl