Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because first they need to make it work - then they can optimize ...

They are definitely in the somehow make it work stage now. May be in a couple of years they move to optimizing (and handling edge cases) stage ...
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I guess more than anything I find it curious that they make such heavy use of the friction brakes. Like, is it more difficult to break with regen? Why WOULDN'T you use it? I hardly touch the friction brakes when I drive. Maybe it's because FSD doesn't currently look too far ahead and therefore needs to break harder when the time comes. Just speculation on my part though.

Reactions: TravelFree
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I guess more than anything I find it curious that they make such heavy use of the friction brakes. Like, is it more difficult to break with regen? Why WOULDN'T you use it? I hardly touch the friction brakes when I drive. Maybe it's because FSD doesn't currently look too far ahead and therefore needs to break harder when the time comes. Just speculation on my part though.
Difficult to say - may be its more difficult to estimate the braking with regen needed to stop within a particular distance ?

I've not paid much attention to this - does the car use braking even when on AP ?

I haven't experienced lots of friction braking on FSD. I hear lots of clicking noises down there when it brakes, which makes it feel like it's using the friction brakes. But when I float my foot on the brake pedal, most of the time, it's not depressing on its own. Let's say barring any emergency need to stop quickly, my drives are 100% regen, and 0% friction brakes. My FSD is maybe 90% regen, 10% friction brakes. This isn't enough to justify a huge difference in Wh/mi.

Also FWIW, I see no difference in my efficiency numbers. Whenever I'm measuring efficiency, first thing I do is shut off the HVAC fan. That's a huge variable to eliminate.

I've not paid much attention to this - does the car use braking even when on AP ?
Yes, more than I would anyways. But not as much as FSD (perhaps only because you don't brake as much on the highway).
Also FWIW, I see no difference in my efficiency numbers. Whenever I'm measuring efficiency, first thing I do is shut off the HVAC fan. That's a huge variable to eliminate.
Agreed, it doesn't make a huge difference like climate does. But if you're an efficiency nazi like me, it's still enough to drive you nuts :)

Reactions: TravelFree
I haven't experienced lots of friction braking on FSD. I hear lots of clicking noises down there when it brakes, which makes it feel like it's using the friction brakes. But when I float my foot on the brake pedal, most of the time, it's not depressing on its own. Let's say barring any emergency need to stop quickly, my drives are 100% regen, and 0% friction brakes. My FSD is maybe 90% regen, 10% friction brakes. This isn't enough to justify a huge difference in Wh/mi.

I can clearly see the brake being depressed during deceleration. Also all those big and small phantom brakings, unnecessary hard accelerations and late brakings will reduce efficiency as well.

Hey, you are the guy that made me thought my model y was defective since My lifetime wh/mi was and still is 295. Have you noticed the FSD beta making any negative impact to your perfect efficiency?
Hmm, that's a funny way to ask for information. Anyway, yes, I'm sure the Beta reduces efficiency. The merging behavior is nauseating on 10.5, 10.6 is smoother. Both versions will brake sometimes when I would not.

My lifetime is now 242 (22k miles), so far my fall 2021 average is 235 (3700 miles).

Most of my miles are highway, which doesn't use the Beta, so the difference probably won't be as much for me as some others.
16389943507881860091420193777487.jpg
16389943834604824344163608522331.jpg

10.5 definitely accelerates harder and brakes harder than it needs to or I would. Coming up behind a line of stopped cars at a light, I’m never quite sure if it’s going to stop up until the instant beta jumps hard on the brakes.

Hmm, that's a funny way to ask for information. Anyway, yes, I'm sure the Beta reduces efficiency. The merging behavior is nauseating on 10.5, 10.6 is smoother. Both versions will brake sometimes when I would not.

My lifetime is now 242 (22k miles), so far my fall 2021 average is 235 (3700 miles).

Most of my miles are highway, which doesn't use the Beta, so the difference probably won't be as much for me as some others.
View attachment 742039View attachment 742040
Hey, no offense, just want to express the admiration of these beautiful numbers from you. Glad to see they are getting even better now. My car is almost exact the same config with yours (red with Gemini) so I used to think my aftermarket 4 piece mud flaps are culprits. Now I get over it. Recently I started to drive 4 miles each day to drop off/pick up my kid, and manual drive is averaging 239wh/mi (FSD 255-285). I can imagine having similar efficiency as yours if its a longer commute. Unfortunately most of my drive was highway at 80mph when possible. Even at consistent 70, I can’t get your efficiency so I’d imagine your highway miles are usually below 70mph?

Too bad we can't be talking about 10.6 on this thread.
Short lived thread as we will soon be needing a 10.6.1 thread maybe.

Not so much. It only seems to when there is a phantom hard braking. In AP only off highway with traffic lights, we get that notice "stopping for traffic control," here it will begin slowing much sooner than a red light in FSD beta. Then when the light turns green FSD beta takes off almost like a drag race car even in chill mode. These driving habits lead to less efficiency. Plus friction braking does not add energy back into the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Driving on a two lane road yesterday, 10,6 kept getting out of the right lane for no reason. There was a quick message on the screen that it was avoiding the rightmost lane. This was a road with traffic lights, so I wouldn't want this behavior. I did a quick look to see if there was an option about this, but didn't see one.

Driving on a two lane road yesterday, 10,6 kept getting out of the right lane for no reason. There was a quick message on the screen that it was avoiding the rightmost lane. This was a road with traffic lights, so I wouldn't want this behavior. I did a quick look to see if there was an option about this, but didn't see one.
With multiple lanes and right-on-red it can be the polite and safe thing to do to avoid the right lane.
People may want to turn right on red off and onto your highway.

It depends a lot on whether you could impede traffic behind you.

On the other hand, on restricted access highways, it's the behavior of a lazy douchebag.

Looks like Tesla realizes there are some issues with 10.6 and stopped pushing it until they can be resolved, hence the delay. My biggest complaint on 10.5 is the sudden lane changes when it approaches an added lane to the right to allow vehicles to exit or enter the road or to pass a vehicle in travel lane that is waiting to turn left. Tesla immediately gets into added lane only to have to exit it in a short distance when lane ends.

Reactions: Massive Attack
We all have our theories so here's mine on efficiency of FSD-beta:
Friction braking doesn't really reduce efficiency so much due to not using regen braking 100% to stop. However, I see a similar drop in efficiency like post #147 in my M S. I believe the drop in efficiency is more due to the aggressive acceleration from stop at lights and stop signs as compared to how I drive. v10.5 is certainly better than v10.3 but I'm still more conservative at saving energy than most drivers including Tesla FSD-beta that drives like a 15 year old.

Owning a Tesla, I frequently get young drivers wanting to demonstrate their ability to over take me at red lights. I ignore them as they just spent another dollar for gas to show off to their girlfriend that they can beat a Tesla. BFD!

Reactions: VanFriscia