Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got put in FSD beta time out for not paying attention to the road today… and when I got home it said that that was strike one and if that happens 2 more times I’m out. How long does the first infraction last??? Does the first strike go away after awhile???

That's unfortunate, because there are some things in the current Beta that are clearly mistakes. The lane bias and phantom braking are definitely annoying and perhaps downright dangerous, but the developers seemed to have gotten way ahead of themselves in adding "capabilities" to the system before resolving more fundamental issues. For example, yesterday I was on a curvy road with a double-yellow line and 30 mph speed limit. The car in front of me slowed down and came to a stop, and my M3 began to slow down and stop behind it. The car had its left-turn signal on, but it was hard to see with the sun shine reflection as well as the weird (IMHO) design of the taillights. All of a sudden, my M3 just decided that the car is front it was parked and it was going to go around. After one oncoming car passed, my car began to accelerate across the double-yellow line and into additional oncoming cars (the reason the car in front wasn't turning yet). I narrowly missed a head on collision.

Now, you can say "it's still in Beta" and these things are going to happen, but my point is this: why was it trying to cross a double-yellow line on a curvy road with no visibility to go around another car, parked or not? Isn't that considered an advanced maneuver? Why would the car even be programmed or trained to do such a dangerous thing? At this stage, just stay in your lane behind the parked car until the driver intervenes - I mean, the driver is always there. Why not work on more fundamental things like staying in your lane around right-hand curves, stopping at stop-lines instead of two car lengths back, not hard-braking at every change in line quality or light/shadow, and things like that before you try and train the car to go around stopped traffic on curvy, double-yellow lined roads when there's zero visibility of oncoming cars!

Roundabout is scary with 10.6. The car entered a Roundabout safely but then stop .dont know what to do next..bugs!

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I’ve only been on beta since 10.5, but I have done the same drives on all 3 settings and found no difference at all. It starts and stops aggressively, and hesitates or is confident in turns the same as well. Maybe others have seen differences, but I haven’t (in phoenix, az).
I stay on chill since standard and assertive allow the car to violate traffic laws, run stop signs. Once it goes, its aggressive enough for me.

• Informative
Reactions: ContrarianDC
If you're referring to this "fishtailing" where it temporarily wants to switch lanes:
View attachment 741286

Seems like a "standard" FSD Beta misprediction of some sort (probably related to the Lanes network). This has happened in the past where FSD Beta incorrectly believes it's in a left turn lane and immediately wants to get to a "straight" lane, but nothing obvious in the visualization or camera view of the street ahead of what it might be confused about.
Have you disabled the "EXIT PASSING LANE" setting?

Ugh. Patience is not one of my virtues, haha. I'm sure I'll find a phone number to nag someone in a few days. I'd rather them just tell me to be patient, otherwise I'll keep thinking there's something wrong with my account/car/connection or something.
You guys need to read more threads/replies or keep up with what is going on a little better. ;) We are now waiting on 10.6.1 to be released.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 11.59.01 AM.png

I've hit the video clip when it does something dangerous (like cross a double yellow line on a sharp turn). I'd like to set it to automatically send the video clip when it hears a scream of terror, or even something like "great Scott!, "What are you doing?!?!?," and other common reactions.

Being a beta tester is just like going out with a kid 2 weeks after they got their learners permit. I have not tested 10.6 yet, but am hoping for a 3 week learners permit level of competence. Maybe that should be a metric.
Also; "Hold 'er Newt, she's headed for the barn ! "

I've hit the video clip when it does something dangerous (like cross a double yellow line on a sharp turn). I'd like to set it to automatically send the video clip when it hears a scream of terror, or even something like "great Scott!, "What are you doing?!?!?," and other common reactions.

Being a beta tester is just like going out with a kid 2 weeks after they got their learners permit. I have not tested 10.6 yet, but am hoping for a 3 week learners permit level of competence. Maybe that should be a metric.
Hey, you are the guy that made me thought my model y was defective since My lifetime wh/mi was and still is 295. Have you noticed the FSD beta making any negative impact to your perfect efficiency?

I can confirm that FSD beta isn't at all concerned with efficiency - it makes heavy use of the friction brakes. As for why, who knows...
Because first they need to make it work - then they can optimize ...

They are definitely in the somehow make it work stage now. May be in a couple of years they move to optimizing (and handling edge cases) stage ...