Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta disengagement on bi-directional disorder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
I have an issue. Often, when leaving my garage, the car's GPS is screwed up showing my location at a random place within a mile or so from my home. The car does not correct the location for over a minute.
Today, I told the car to drive to a local Costco, and engaged the FSD Beta on our local streets. At the first stop sign, the map and the map lady told me to turn right, but in fact it had to turn left.
The car turned left against the navigation map! ... but it has immediately thrown a red wheel of horror at me. Interestingly, later I couldn't see it in the list of notifications.
A few questions:
1) do I need to make an appointment with SC?
2) Does the FSD work with some different internal map and/or GPS locator?
3) Should the FSD be able to override the Navigation at all?
4) Does this type of disengagement count as a strike against FSD Beta users?

Does the GPS on your cell phone also give bogus location data at your garage? You may need to download an app to actually see your GPS location instead of your location from cell phone tower data. It’s possible that your area may not get good GPS signals because of local geography like mountains.

Reactions: alexgr
I have an issue. Often, when leaving my garage, the car's GPS is screwed up showing my location at a random place within a mile or so from my home. The car does not correct the location for over a minute.
Today, I told the car to drive to a local Costco, and engaged the FSD Beta on our local streets. At the first stop sign, the map and the map lady told me to turn right, but in fact it had to turn left.
The car turned left against the navigation map! ... but it has immediately thrown a red wheel of horror at me. Interestingly, later I couldn't see it in the list of notifications.
A few questions:
1) do I need to make an appointment with SC?
2) Does the FSD work with some different internal map and/or GPS locator?
3) Should the FSD be able to override the Navigation at all?
4) Does this type of disengagement count as a strike against FSD Beta users?
Usually I would do reset/reboot first before Sevice Center.

Wrong GPS does happen. If it is consistent, it's time to fix it.

A strikeout is the disabled Autopilot in the mid drive and you cannot re-enable it until you push park.

In this case, I don’t think it's a strikeout because you can still redo the Autopilot mid drive.

Reactions: alexgr
Does the GPS on your cell phone also give bogus location data at your garage? You may need to download an app to actually see your GPS location instead of your location from cell phone tower data. It’s possible that your area may not get good GPS signals because of local geography like mountains.
mountains .... I live in Oklahoma! 🤣
The phone of course uses the towers and WiFi to keep the location going inside the house and inside the garage. There is no reason the car cannot do the same. At least, I would expect it remembers the last location before losing the GPS signal. And it never was a problem until an update sometime last year.

Usually I would do reset/reboot first before Sevice Center.
Tried many times.
Wrong GPS does happen. If it is consistent, it's time to fix it.
It is consistent. I start thinking too that it's the time.
A strikeout is the disabled Autopilot in the mid drive and you cannot re-enable it until you push park.

In this case, I don’t think it's a strikeout because you can still redo the Autopilot mid drive.
No-no. The autopilot was disabled until the end of the drive. Well, of course, I immediately, parked, and then restarted the car, and the AP was available again. But it was the "normal" red wheel with loud beeps, and the "GameOver" message.