Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta: If You Could Get Tesla to Answer 2 Questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
... what would they be?

So far, the official instructions from Tesla on how to be an effective FSD Beta tester has consisted of, "Just drive the car."

If you were able to ask Tesla two questions about FSD beta, what would they be?

My two:
  1. How many presses of the camera button can the buffer hold before it starts to dump the old ones to save the new ones?
  2. Are you duplicating effort (using more than one buffer slot) by pushing the camera icon after a disengagement? In other words, are all disengagements always reported in the same way as if you'd pushed the camera icon?
A few guys have answered "five" to the number of snapshots you can save, but haven't been able to provide a source for it.

If I were able to get a bonus question answered... Are snapshots immediately uploaded as soon as the car connects to WiFi? And as an added bonus: "Will you please show a progress bar of snapshots getting uploaded so we can: drive, take snapshots, go hook up to wifi, wait for snapshots to upload, then go back to driving? And an indicator of "Room for x snaphsots remaining" would be nice, too.

Who knows... maybe if we can get an influencer to forward our list of questions to the Powers That Be at Tesla we might be able to get a few of them answered. Failing that, maybe some of the TMC brain trust can field a few of them for us?

Last edited:
1. Can the car learn to drive like *me*? (Or create a feature that does this?) It can still use all the AI it wants, but it would be great to have a Profile (10.3.1) that conforms to the way I drive, but keeping in place Tesla’s driving rules (eg: in heavily trafficked areas, (downtown) I might t drive 10 mph slower, in anticipation of other bad drivers/pedestrians, etc).
2. Can I teach my car “new things”, like parking a certain way in my own driveway? Sort of like recording a macro?

Those are mine and I’m sticking to them :)

-= Dave =-

1. Can the car learn to drive like *me*? (Or create a feature that does this?) It can still use all the AI it wants, but it would be great to have a Profile (10.3.1) that conforms to the way I drive, but keeping in place Tesla’s driving rules (eg: in heavily trafficked areas, (downtown) I might t drive 10 mph slower, in anticipation of other bad drivers/pedestrians, etc).
2. Can I teach my car “new things”, like parking a certain way in my own driveway? Sort of like recording a macro?

Those are mine and I’m sticking to them :)

-= Dave =-
These are the exact questions I had Saturday after playing with FSD. I wish there was a train button. I could teach my vehicle to drive as I do. I brake sooner and I take my time getting up to speed. On FSD, my car gets after it like a scalded dog. And it brakes too late at red lights. I haven’t tested it in the rain but I imagine if the speed limit is 70, it will waste little time getting there. Whereas I drive slower in the rain.

Speaking of rain, I met a guy who said phantom braking caused him to have an accident on a rainy day.

1. Does Elon get different FSD builds than we get? What are the differences? He tweets such huge enthusiasm from his FSD experiences and then my FSD Beta is jarring and very untrustworthy (Still a huge fan and excited, just truth)

2. Why the forward/side cameras placed in the B-pillars and not further forward? There are many intersections with bushes/fences/obstructions that even a human can't see oncoming traffic (I went to Miami earlier this year and there were tons of these and with like 50mph cross traffic - just had to pray and press the gas basically). Cameras near the headlights or even in the turn signal blisters with the rear side cameras would have seemed a much better choice and could provide a true superhuman FSD experience

And not a question but request:
3. Please concentrate on accomplishing L3 interstate driving first. It would be so much easier and is almost practically there already. Just make it official so I can zone out a bit on my 100mi daily commute (50mi roundtrip)

When having a specific issues, and yes pushing the send videos button, should we ALSO send a bug report with more clarity and definition of the issue? Or is that best done via email?
Tesla stated in their 'welcome to beta' email:

• You can email your feedback to [email protected]. In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.

Tesla stated in their 'welcome to beta' email:

• You can email your feedback to [email protected]. In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.
Indeed, but I would say based on the sheer volume of errors, I’m not going to be able to track them all and have discrete enough time stamps to line up with the videos sent to send later via email. It would be great to know, if sending the video AND a corresponding bug report with enough description can be easily reconciled by a Tesla engineer (or AI) to enhance their understanding of the issue we encountered specifically?

• Love
Reactions: FalconFour
... what would they be?

So far, the official instructions from Tesla on how to be an effective FSD Beta tester has consisted of, "Just drive the car."

My two:
  1. How many presses of the camera button can the buffer hold before it starts to dump the old ones to save the new ones?
  2. Are you duplicating effort (using more than one buffer slot) by pushing the camera icon after a disengagement? In other words, are all disengagements always reported in the same way as if you'd pushed the camera icon?
A few guys have answered "five" to the number of snapshots you can save, but haven't been able to provide a source for it.

If I were able to get a bonus question answered... Are snapshots immediately uploaded as soon as the car connects to WiFi? And as an added bonus: "Will you please show a progress bar of snapshots getting uploaded so we can: drive, take snapshots, go hook up to wifi, wait for snapshots to upload, then go back to driving? And an indicator of "Room for x snaphsots remaining" would be nice, too.

Who knows... maybe if we can get an influencer to forward our list of questions to the Powers That Be at Tesla we might be able to get a few of them answered. Failing that, maybe some of the TMC brain trust can field a few of them for us?

1) Will you please make it possible to activate the beta video camera by voice?
2) Will you post a summary of issues gleaned for FSD beta drivers so that perhaps we will stop overwhelming the team with a problem you already have sufficient data to correct?

For instance, we all know that turns can be jerky. How many snapshots do you really need of that?

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow