Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Features to be Available in 3 to 6 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sdorn

Director of Awesome
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2016
Georgia
I may be mistaken, but I think this is the first real timeline we've seen for the release of any FSD features. Elon says that within 3 to 6 months, we will be able to see noticeably different features between FSD and EAP-only cars.

upload_2017-1-23_23-1-50.png

Let's read carefully: he is answering about when features "noticeably depart" from AP. Not when FSD is active. That could mean a lot of things, and while I am sure the membership here wants to read deeply into it, I will warn against it. That is, unless you're really into drama and making a big deal about stuff. In which case, postulate away, be disappointed when you realize you were wrong, and then coalesce that disappointment into anger.

I had to go look at Tesla's website again to recall what the differences between EAP and FSD are, as off the top of my head, the big difference with FSD is that the car should be able to drive itself around with no driver in the driver seat. However, looking a bit closer, there are certainly differences that we will most likely see, far in advance of the car ever driving without a driver (since that is most likely years away from regulatory approval.

A quick breakdown of each as described on Tesla's website...

Enhanced Auto Pilot
• TACC
• Autosteering
• Auto change lanes without driver input (I assume this would be to keep TACC at a constant speed)
• Exit the freeway (based on Navigation directions)
• Park itself
• Summon in/out of garage

Full Self-Driving Capability
• Conduct short and long trips with no action required by the driver
• Manage intersections and roundabouts
• See stop lights and stop sights
• Drop you off at an entry, auto seek parking, park itself and then come pick you back up with a summon from your phone

From that list, what I realistically expect to see as the initial differing feature is the recognition and reaction to stop lights and stop signs. Aside from that feature, the only other items left to do that differ from EAP is the full self driving with no action required by the driver, and the auto seeking of parking. I could see the auto seeking of parking happening at some point too, but not within 6 months - and I believe that would not need regulatory approval as it would be on private property, correct?

I had to go look at Tesla's website again to recall what the differences between EAP and FSD are, as off the top of my head, the big difference with FSD is that the car should be able to drive itself around with no driver in the driver seat. However, looking a bit closer, there are certainly differences that we will most likely see, far in advance of the car ever driving without a driver (since that is most likely years away from regulatory approval.

A quick breakdown of each as described on Tesla's website...

Enhanced Auto Pilot
• TACC
• Autosteering
• Auto change lanes without driver input (I assume this would be to keep TACC at a constant speed)
• Exit the freeway (based on Navigation directions)
• Park itself
• Summon in/out of garage

Full Self-Driving Capability
• Conduct short and long trips with no action required by the driver
• Manage intersections and roundabouts
• See stop lights and stop sights
• Drop you off at an entry, auto seek parking, park itself and then come pick you back up with a summon from your phone

From that list, what I realistically expect to see as the initial differing feature is the recognition and reaction to stop lights and stop signs. Aside from that feature, the only other items left to do that differ from EAP is the full self driving with no action required by the driver, and the auto seeking of parking. I could see the auto seeking of parking happening at some point too, but not within 6 months - and I believe that would not need regulatory approval as it would be on private property, correct?
Why not just use a taxi then if you're not going to drive the car?
AP2 is ridiculous for a Tesla! A boring Kia Sorrento or a Dodge Caravan maybe, but not a "fun to drive Model S"!

So, this is one of the things I've been thinking about for some time... when (especially on a lease) is a good time to activate FSD? I'm in the process of (possibly) ordering an MX (waiting for the Part 2/3/2.5 whatever M3 reveal; I was always getting EAP). I was on the fence about FSD, and wasn't sure if any of the hardware was actually used before the features were 'available'.

This 'announcement' makes it seem like it could be a good idea (how many weasel words can we use...) to activate FSD on near-future leases to not pay the after-purchase surcharge. (Yes, full aware of EST...)

When I bought my AP1 70D in June, 2015, the AP features were touted as being rolled out "over the next couple of months." Well, it's now 2017, and the features still aren't complete (autosteer and summon still in beta). So, keep this in mind when processing Elon's tweets.