TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

FSD Features to be Available in 3 to 6 months

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sdorn, Jan 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I may be mistaken, but I think this is the first real timeline we've seen for the release of any FSD features. Elon says that within 3 to 6 months, we will be able to see noticeably different features between FSD and EAP-only cars.

upload_2017-1-23_23-1-50.png

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Curious to see what exactly those features would be.

In another tweet he mentions some safety improvements of having all 8 cameras active that come with FSD. But, traditionally safety hasn't been bundled with SW package.

3. luckyj

luckyj Member

So, tripling any software dev estimate, we're looking at 18 months? :)

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 3
  4. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

In six months all the die-hard Tesla supporters will be coming up with alternative definitions for "definitely."

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 4
  5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Let's read carefully: he is answering about when features "noticeably depart" from AP. Not when FSD is active. That could mean a lot of things, and while I am sure the membership here wants to read deeply into it, I will warn against it. That is, unless you're really into drama and making a big deal about stuff. In which case, postulate away, be disappointed when you realize you were wrong, and then coalesce that disappointment into anger.

• Like x 10
    • Funny x 6
    • Love x 1
  6. number12

number12 Active Member

No no. They will say he never said a starting date for the 6 month timeline.

• Like x 1
  7. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

I had to go look at Tesla's website again to recall what the differences between EAP and FSD are, as off the top of my head, the big difference with FSD is that the car should be able to drive itself around with no driver in the driver seat. However, looking a bit closer, there are certainly differences that we will most likely see, far in advance of the car ever driving without a driver (since that is most likely years away from regulatory approval.

A quick breakdown of each as described on Tesla's website...

Enhanced Auto Pilot
    • TACC
    • Autosteering
    • Auto change lanes without driver input (I assume this would be to keep TACC at a constant speed)
    • Exit the freeway (based on Navigation directions)
    • Park itself
    • Summon in/out of garage

Full Self-Driving Capability
    • Conduct short and long trips with no action required by the driver
    • Manage intersections and roundabouts
    • See stop lights and stop sights
    • Drop you off at an entry, auto seek parking, park itself and then come pick you back up with a summon from your phone

From that list, what I realistically expect to see as the initial differing feature is the recognition and reaction to stop lights and stop signs. Aside from that feature, the only other items left to do that differ from EAP is the full self driving with no action required by the driver, and the auto seeking of parking. I could see the auto seeking of parking happening at some point too, but not within 6 months - and I believe that would not need regulatory approval as it would be on private property, correct?

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
  8. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

#8 Andyw2100, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Based on your sign-up date I see you weren't around back then, but my joke was a reference to the dozens of posts, when auto steer was delayed, attempting to define "a few", since Musk had stated the feature would be available "in a few months."

9. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Awesome news!

• Like x 1
  10. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Even if it is 18 months, that is almost 5 years ahead of any competitors

11. wesley888

wesley888 Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. krazineurons

krazineurons krazineurons

am I the only one thinking car safety should harness all cameras even on EAP and one shouldn't be asked to pay more to get more safety features?

13. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

Why not just use a taxi then if you're not going to drive the car?
    AP2 is ridiculous for a Tesla! A boring Kia Sorrento or a Dodge Caravan maybe, but not a "fun to drive Model S"!

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  14. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

What I'm getting from this is that FSD WILL come out but the self parking/picking up without the driver is what needs to be approved.

15. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

So, this is one of the things I've been thinking about for some time... when (especially on a lease) is a good time to activate FSD? I'm in the process of (possibly) ordering an MX (waiting for the Part 2/3/2.5 whatever M3 reveal; I was always getting EAP). I was on the fence about FSD, and wasn't sure if any of the hardware was actually used before the features were 'available'.

This 'announcement' makes it seem like it could be a good idea (how many weasel words can we use...) to activate FSD on near-future leases to not pay the after-purchase surcharge. (Yes, full aware of EST...)

16. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Hey @calisnow,

If FSD rolls out in 6 months, is our next car payment on you?? :)

• Funny x 5
  17. Bladerskb

Bladerskb Like how many times do i have to be right?

Anyone who believes this is out of their mind. Especially with the current AP2 not even eqavalient to AP1. We have AP right now only at 45MPH or less on highways. No auto wipers, no auto high beams, no summon, no autopark. This is with not taking into account the actual EAP features that are missing

• Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

When I bought my AP1 70D in June, 2015, the AP features were touted as being rolled out "over the next couple of months." Well, it's now 2017, and the features still aren't complete (autosteer and summon still in beta). So, keep this in mind when processing Elon's tweets.

19. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Probably. Autopilot reduces accidents, so you could call it a safety feature, and no one is suggesting it be included in the base price of the car.

• Like x 1
  20. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

In certain situations, I would live the Tesla TO BE my taxi! Not every road and every drive is fun.

• Love x 1