Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Features to be Available in 3 to 6 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question about self parking: What happens if the parking lot is full?

Note, please, that I am a total Tesla fanboy. I love my Roadster and am eagerly awaiting my Model 3. But I'm curious about what happens when there isn't a parking space. Seldom happens here in Spokane, but I have occasionally (rarely) had to drive several blocks to find a parking spot. It can happen for an event that the parking lot is restricted or full, and on-street parking is blocks away. Does the car just drive around the streets at random until it finds a spot? And can it distinguish and avoid the open handicapped spots? Will it know to avoid parking meters (since it can't feed them the coins)?

At county fairs sometimes parking is in a big open area, and people direct the cars to the next open parking. I can imagine this being a problem for self-parking.

Not really an issue for me because I'd rather park far away and stretch my legs. So I don't anticipate using drop-off and pick-up, unless it's raining. But I am curious.

Musk is again over promising both in terms of features and timelines. This is going to back fire.

If they can get AP2 to AP1 parity by another 6 months, I think that is realistic. And then keep iterating for another year to get to Enhanced AP. FSD is probably couple of years away. This car will sell itself without all these overpromising

Reactions: kavyboy
I have a question about self parking: What happens if the parking lot is full?

<snip>

At county fairs sometimes parking is in a big open area, and people direct the cars to the next open parking. I can imagine this being a problem for self-parking.

I think the answer is probably that like other autopilot features, drivers have to use common sense. If a lot looks full, or if a human is directing cars to parking spots, don't let the car try to park itself. The feature is not designed to cover all possible situations.

Musk is again over promising both in terms of features and timelines. This is going to back fire.

If they can get AP2 to AP1 parity by another 6 months, I think that is realistic. And then keep iterating for another year to get to Enhanced AP. FSD is probably couple of years away. This car will sell itself without all these overpromising

I cant agree with you more. I dont think self parking and fetch will ever work correctly. I can see it parking itself in peoples driveways, bus stops, hydrants, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
If you are a high mileage driver and put say 50k miles on your car in 18 months and your warranty is over but all of FSD isn't done yet and you have a problem with the Nvidia computer / cameras / sensors that weren't used before FSD activation I wonder how Tesla will handle the warranty. I am pushing 50k miles on my June-2015 85D, but it was out of commission for 2 full months waiting for a front bumper cover, so this is entirely conceivable. I would have ordered a 100D between December and January 15th if it had been available but now I am going to wait and see what HW2 EAP FSD promises are actually delivered before placing another order.

Tesla to transition from ‘Enhanced Autopilot’ to ‘Fully Self-Driving’ as soon as ‘3 to 6 months’, says Elon Musk

While all Tesla vehicles are now equipped with the same 8-camera, 1 radar, and 360-degree ultrasonics hardware suite, Tesla only enables half the cameras for ‘Enhanced Autopilot’ and the rest when buyers choose ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’. The company writes on its order page: Build upon Enhanced Autopilot and order Full Self-Driving Capability on your Tesla. This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver.

Therefore, drivers should notice a difference between the two options even before Tesla can truly introduce a level 5 autonomous system in the vehicle. It’s not the case currently since Tesla just now started pushing the “first phase” of Enhanced Autopilot and it’s not quite to parity with the first generation of the system. But as it improves with more data from the fleet, owners who chose ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’ on top of just Enhanced Autopilot will start to see a difference at some point by making full use of all the hardware.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I had to go look at Tesla's website again to recall what the differences between EAP and FSD are, as off the top of my head, the big difference with FSD is that the car should be able to drive itself around with no driver in the driver seat.
@HX_Guy I know that farther into your post you clarified your initial statement, but for those who read only as far as what I quote above, it is important to understand that Tesla has never stated that the FSDC option will enable the car to "drive itself with no driver in the driver seat".

Tesla has made clear that once FSDC is operationable a "driver" will still be required and sitting in the "drivers seat".

While Elon is often very optimistic in stating timelines (and he has admitted many times that he underestimates the amount of time required to accomplish an objective) I would not bet against Tesla releasing FSDC in some geographic regions by the end of this year. Time will tell...

Reactions: callmesam
Their videos clearly say at the beginning that No driver is required but they put a body in there for regulatory reasons ONLY. There are several other instances where Tesla clearly communicated FSD is what its name says it is but I don't feel the need to belabor the point further.

For everyone speculating about what features from FSD will be available in 3 to 6 months, I just want to highlight that Elon said that in 3 to 6 months FSD will start to differ from EAP. He did not say FSD capabilities such as autoparking or driving with no driver input will be available.
What I take from his words is that in 3 to 6 months EAP will be better with the 8 cameras instead of 4 and maybe it will detect stop signs or redlights and probably the most significant difference will be city driving like roundabouts.

No. You are incorrect. FSD is promised to be level 5.

"Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year."

This seems to imply to me that you can send your car to pick up friends and family unless I am reading this wrong?

"Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year."

This seems to imply to me that you can send your car to pick up friends and family unless I am reading this wrong?

I think you are reading that correctly, though it is almost certainly not going to be relevant for quite some time.

What is relevant, though, is why Tesla thinks they have the right to tell someone what they can and can't do with their personal property. This is all likely to be moot for quite some time, but if I own my Tesla how can Tesla dictate what I am allowed to use it for?

Any attorneys care to chime in on this one? Am I mistaken to believe that my Tesla is mine to do with as I please, and if that means competing with a Tesla service to be announced next year, that's just fine and dandy?

This timelines implies they should have cars right now using this soft ware for internal testing!

This timelines implies they should have cars right now using this soft ware for internal testing!
Also a lot of the initial work may have been hardware and software integration, ramping up everyone on Tesla Vision, and getting a team hired. Now that all of the groundwork has been laid, it isn't unreasonable that we will see an acceleration of features being delivered.

At least this is my hope. Very possible they haven't transitioned everyone from Mobileye and the EAP/FSD team is small.

Reactions: Falkirk
No. You are incorrect. FSD is promised to be level 5.
Agreed, but the operative word there is promised. Level 5 will come, but will need regulations before we can use it. Level 4, on the other hand, is more likely usable out of the gate. From the Tesla.com website: "The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat." Note that the driver is present, in a supervisory role. It also states that the features will be released over time. Level 5 will undoubtedly take more time. While I would like this sooner, I am afraid that we will just have to wait for it. I do know that Tesla is pushing the developments along, not only their's, but also the rest of the field.

Reactions: croman