Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for 3k after purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to purchase FSD now, but only at the 3k price point offered prior to purchase. I have seen posts of Tesla honoring this for certain owners, specifically Model S. I have asked without success.

Has anyone with a Model 3 after purchase been able to get it for $3k and if yes, what process did you do?

...$3k...

Full Self Driving was offered at $3,000 pre-delivery and $4,000 post-delivery until 11/2018.

Since 11/2018, Full Self Driving was offered at $3,000 pre-delivery and $5,000 post-delivery.

Soon after that, Full Self Driving pricing was wiped off the public menu.

Thus, how did you hear about $3,000 post-delivery for Full Self Driving?

It should be $5,000 or if you are lucky to be an early bird for $4,000 post-delivery offer but never a $3,000 post-delivery offer at all.

Last edited:
Lol. Save your money till FSD is real.

It's true that Full Self Driving is not working right now but at least, it's being tested for traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts as tweeted last month.

Things are progressing along even though slowly. Recently, it was Navigation on Autopilot with manual lane change initiation. Soon, it'll be Navigation on Autopilot with automatic lane change initiation. Then, maybe we will get a release for the above tweet's functions.

I love to be an early adopter and I have been willing to pay for it!

I would like to purchase FSD now, but only at the 3k price point offered prior to purchase. I have seen posts of Tesla honoring this for certain owners, specifically Model S. I have asked without success.

Has anyone with a Model 3 after purchase been able to get it for $3k and if yes, what process did you do?

I have not heard of anyone getting $3K FSD post purchase.

In my case - FSD was advertised for $3K pre delivery, $4K post delivery.

I was able to get $4K FSD post delivery.

I have to be honest, after trying EAP I think we are a long way off from FSD. There are just so many instances and circumstances that the computer will have to handle. Yes it may incrementally add features but full FSD is a long way away, maybe even another car purchase away. I was a little concerned because I removed it before I took delivery but I think your money can better be utilized elsewhere now until they can prove that FSD will happen for this generation of vehicles and if legislators allow it. Basically stick with EAP and save the FSD money for now is my advice.

• Informative
Reactions: Big City
I have to be honest, after trying EAP I think we are a long way off from FSD. There are just so many instances and circumstances that the computer will have to handle. Yes it may incrementally add features but full FSD is a long way away, maybe even another car purchase away. I was a little concerned because I removed it before I took delivery but I think your money can better be utilized elsewhere now until they can prove that FSD will happen for this generation of vehicles and if legislators allow it. Basically stick with EAP and save the FSD money for now is my advice.

EAP and FSD uses different hardware so it's possible FSD could bring exponential improvements. But even if FSD was live, I certainly wouldn't want to beta test it with my car for the first 6-12+ months. Instead of range anxiety I'd have return anxiety wondering if my metal child will make it home safe after driving off into the wild on its own.

When did you take delivery?

12/2016

That is s why the option is $3K versus $30K or more.

Intuitively, FSD should not be less than EAP.

Yes we are a long way from full FSD but I am glad I purchased FSD for the simple reason it will be fun to try out FSD as it rolls out over the next few years. And yes this assumes FSD will be an incremental rollout.
How that is defined I have no idea but I don't agree with those who say it's either full FSD or nothing. My guess is my current Model 3 won't achieve full FSD but that is ok.

I don't think FSD will be incremental like EAP. The "F" stands for Full. There may only be a difference between level 4 and 5.
The EAP 2.5 has much more capability than presently provided. The hacker video shows the car identifies much more than you think. It will not need lines to drive as it already defines a "driving surface" independently from "lanes" and "route". Be patient. Hopefully stoplights, stopsigns, speedlimits and intersection turns will be activated on EAP 2.5. I have a local residential street that has about a 150' yellow centerline at it's beginning. I can get to 18 mph and get the AP gray while it still sees the center yellow line and turn on EAP. It then accurately drives down the right side of the grass lined, macadam street with no lines. Last week there was a family with a baby carriage walking on the right edge of the road as we approached a short, non-elevated bridge with a sidewalk. The car recognized the pedestrians in the roadway, slowed, stopped and continued when the pedestrians got on the bridge sidewalk all with no lane markings. This is high level stuff.

I don't think FSD will be incremental like EAP. The "F" stands for Full. There may only be a difference between level 4 and 5.
The EAP 2.5 has much more capability than presently provided. The hacker video shows the car identifies much more than you think. It will not need lines to drive as it already defines a "driving surface" independently from "lanes" and "route". Be patient. Hopefully stoplights, stopsigns, speedlimits and intersection turns will be activated on EAP 2.5. I have a local residential street that has about a 150' yellow centerline at it's beginning. I can get to 18 mph and get the AP gray while it still sees the center yellow line and turn on EAP. It then accurately drives down the right side of the grass lined, macadam street with no lines. Last week there was a family with a baby carriage walking on the right edge of the road as we approached a short, non-elevated bridge with a sidewalk. The car recognized the pedestrians in the roadway, slowed, stopped and continued when the pedestrians got on the bridge sidewalk all with no lane markings. This is high level stuff.
You are brave! I’m too scared to let it operate in that type of situation. I do love autopilot on the highway though.

This was low speed less than 30 mph and the car started to slow down and stopped well before reaching the pedestrians. I had seen the car successfully drive the street several times before the pedestrian encounter. This was easy. I've operated boat and aircraft APs for over 50 years. The present EAP actually has more problems with very complicated bold or reflective lane markings. That also varies depending on day or night.

When you drive on local unlined streets next time, look at the display. You will usually see faint lane lines. These are fainter than those shown when there are actual lane lines but it shows the car identifies road driving surfaces independent of lane markings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glamisduner