Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for $3K online for EAP owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off a call with Tesla customer support and he mentioned they received an updated from Tesla yesterday that any model 3 ordered in 2019 would either get free autopilot or free FSD depending on what they ordered currently and it would not apply to vehicles ordered/delivered in 2018.

This is a huge bummer for several like me as I ordered in July and picked up in Sep 2018. I paid for EAP ($5K) and my total price at that time for M3 LR, Premium, EAP, Red Multicoat was $55,500(Apart from delivery and taxes). -$7500 tax credit =$48000.

The same vehicle options added today....$53,500 (With FSD)- $3750 Tax Credit= $49,500 - $3K for difference in EAP i paid Vs FSD = $46,500.

My M3 purchased 5 months ago is cheaper now by $1500.

Why do 2019 orders get the free FSD and why 2018 orders will not considering the great loss of vehicle value in spite of depreciation is a mystery only Tesla should answer. So much for being a fan boy and 1st day reservation holder.

I just got off a call with Tesla customer support and he mentioned they received an updated from Tesla yesterday that any model 3 ordered in 2019 would either get free autopilot or free FSD depending on what they ordered currently and it would not apply to vehicles ordered/delivered in 2018.

This is a huge bummer for several like me as I ordered in July and picked up in Sep 2018. I paid for EAP ($5K) and my total price at that time for M3 LR, Premium, EAP, Red Multicoat was $55,500(Apart from delivery and taxes). -$7500 tax credit =$48000.

The same vehicle options added today....$53,500 (With FSD)- $3750 Tax Credit= $49,500 - $3K for difference in EAP i paid Vs FSD = $46,500.

Why do 2019 orders get the free FSD and why 2018 orders will not considering the great loss of vehicle value in spite of depreciation is a mystery only Tesla should answer. So much for being a fan boy and 1st day reservation holder.

Yeah I don't get it either why 2019 orders would be viewed any differently. We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out. It continues to baffle me how it always seems like they are scrambling to figure out these situations after a new announcement instead of having everything sorted out before the announcement goes out.

i don't get why 2018 would not get it also...

heh, you guys don't get why 2018 deliveries won't get FSD and 2019 will, but here I am being baffled as to why in my case, (Dec 2018 delivery) I still have to pay $5000 where you guys are getting FSD for $3000 or free.

It's all a mystery, I guess, but you Model 3 guys should be happy that Tesla seems to want to keep y'all happy. We (S/X) aren't getting jack.

• Funny
Reactions: No42

Sounds like uncorroborated information to me. I would wait until there is an official statement or more information.

Reactions: AngryCPA
Is there tax on software for CA?

I will preface this answer with: It's been a while since I had to deal with software and taxes at my current job. However, it's always been if you do not receive a physical product, there were no taxes on the software. Now, there may have been some new tax laws enacted to close up that loop hole, but I was surprised to see taxes being added to software with no physical media.

debating on whether I should buy this. I would be pissed If I bought this today, and next week it becomes free.

My guess is a few people take the bait and this will measure demand. Then few will have it and there will be a fire sale down the road, something they are good at. If earnings go down sales go up. Besides, how much use will you get out of this and when? By the time anything is mature it should be severely discounted. Paying for an unavailable feature seems pointless particularly with Tesla's track record and since there is not set delivery date you have zero recourse for a refund or right according to them. They seem to be into the money grab now, a better strategy would be deliver the features and sell the upgrade at a reasonable price and get huge sales or set a target date and refund if not delivered within a few months. This is the immature Tesla dart board way of selling and marketing and doing customer service. Once the love affair fizzles they won't be able to play these pricing games without a big impact on sales.