Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD free trial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it to be...well gimmicky. If I have somewhere to be, such as driving to work, I take the wheel. I can't trust it to even drive out of my subdivision due to a particularly tricky intersection with no traffic lights. So yeah, it's fun to test it and see what it does if I'm not pressed for anything, but I've rarely used it as most times, it either holds up traffic or has people going around me. On highways it's okay but on city streets, I'm having to be super vigilant. And you can't take your eyes off for second else it starts scolding. So with all that, it's easier just to drive myself. I wouldn't pay $12,000 or even $6000 for it.

I believe the main reason for Tesla giving us a free month and now dropping the subscription to $99, aside from gaining subscribers, is to flood their Dojo supercomputer with data. Hopefully this means big improvements coming.

Last edited:
After using it during the trial a few times I truly can’t comprehend the decision, apparently made by a lot of people, to drop five figures on this. That it can do what it can do at all is undeniably incredible, but on city streets it’s not trustworthy enough for me to relax in the slightest. I wouldn’t spend $99/mo on it, but for the tiny enhancement of turn stalk lane changes I’d gladly spend… I don’t know, $6/month? Seems just slightly less life enhancing than AppleTV+.

We have awful construction, totally nuts pedestrians/scooters/skateboards/wheel things/you name it, bad traffic, people and commercial vehicles stopping... it just does an absolutely amazing job.

Having said that... They've cracked the first really big complicated problem of robotics ... and they can't get auto wipers to work? Rather ironic there.

Having noted auto wiper non-function, the performance is terrible rain is just amazing. I was in autopilot in a near zero visibility rainstorm, and autopilot drove waaay better than I would have.

Finally, as other posters mentioned, you still have to supervise it, so, until I'm too old to drive, what's the point? I'll pay a lot for it (maybe not $12k, but a lot) when it's proven to be absolutely safe when you are NOT looking, so I can read a book or whatever. Otherwise, there are a lot better things I can do with $12k.

-TPC

We have two Tesla's in household. Curious if others with more that one vehicle received FSD trial for both? Sorry I haven't gone through all comments if it's been confirmed.

My 2022 Model 3 which is the first we had and it got FSD trial almost immediately. The second is my wife's 2023 Model Y and she's on 2024.8.7 and no FSD up to today.

My friend also has two Tesla's on his account and their 2022 Model Y(their first car on account) received FSD trial and their second vehicle is a 2021 Model 3 still has not received FSD.

Maybe it's just coincidence but thought possibly FSD trial was limited to 1 per account.
I'm in the same boat. My wife 2023 MYLR got it April 1st and my 2023 M3LR did not receive it yet. 2 accounts, 1 for each of us and same home address! I contacted the Service Center through the app, and they responded with it is being released in waves.

Reactions: Choncho
After using it during the trial a few times I truly can’t comprehend the decision, apparently made by a lot of people, to drop five figures on this. That it can do what it can do at all is undeniably incredible, but on city streets it’s not trustworthy enough for me to relax in the slightest. I wouldn’t spend $99/mo on it, but for the tiny enhancement of turn stalk lane changes I’d gladly spend… I don’t know, $6/month? Seems just slightly less life enhancing than AppleTV+.
100% my thoughts as well. I don't see what the use case is for this thing, other than being a novelty. Sure it's cool and all. 12 grand cool? nope. I don't even think 99 a month is really worth it. I don't think at this point I'd pay for that on a road trip.

I had the pleasure (?) of completing a 900 mile road trip this weekend, mostly on 2 lane 55 mph highways and some divided 4 lane highways, with a little bit of freeway. I kept giving FSD second chances, but eventually had to turn it off and go back to TACC and Autosteer because FSD was just too much of a pain. The other day I was using it to drive home from an appointment and I realized I wasn't paying attention to my podcast anymore because I was spending more time worrying about the FSD and what it was going to do next. What the hell is going on with the speeds? It makes no sense. Even on Auto I'm constantly having to make it speed up a little. Then sometimes it displays Auto in the Max speed, sometimes a set speed. It makes no sense.

Also it seems like lately FSD has broken TACC and Autosteer as well. I noticed on my trip back that it was no longer seeing speed limit signs and adjusting the speed. It would often have the wrong speed limit for a certain area. I've also noticed an extremely annoying feature lately where you have the speed set to "Current" on engagement, if you're not on a divided highway (where you can go more than 5mph over the limit), it would always engage at the speedlimit, not my current speed (or 5 mph over the speed limit) like it used to. So extremely frustrating. Then it also loves to reset your speed to the speed limit when you get into a new area with a new speed limit, but not every time, just to keep you on your toes.

I'm kind of irritated with this FSD trail because it's made my experience with my car worse. I love my Model Y but this is the first time I've gotten this annoyed and angry at the car.

Reactions: Canyonero
Having said that... They've cracked the first really big complicated problem of robotics ... and they can't get auto wipers to work? Rather ironic there.

-TPC
My 2017 Ford Transit Connect has an auto wiper function that has a little dial so you can adjust the sensitivity up and down. It works great, never have problems with it like in my Model Y. A simple function like this would be really nice.

Had a chance to put FSD trial to the test recently. Eighty miles of city, freeway, and two lane blacktop. I tried to leave it alone to do its thing. It made many rather 'interesting' decisions. To keep a long story short, I will mention only two.

You know those people that do not know how to enter from a freeway ramp and slow down freaking everyone out? Yeah, I was that guy and got honked at. It was not really an unsafe situation, so I just let it go and observed.

Later, entering a 50mph two lane highway from a side road (left turn stop sign controlled) is when something potentially fatal occurred. Traffic was busy and the car waited patiently for an opening. The opening came and the car pulled out then stopped in the middle of the road having some sort of anxiety attack. The steering wheel jiggled back and forth as I watched a vehicle approaching me at 50+. I was not about to wait and see what happens so I hit the throttle and finished the maneuver myself.

Other dicey areas seemed to be handled quite well overall but would not have been dicey with a little earlier lane positioning. Thanks to Tesla for giving me this opportunity. It has really confirmed my initial choice not to get FSD. It's an interesting novelty though still not ready for prime time IMHO. It really needs a very attentive babysitter. Maybe I would feel less tense with it over time but I am much safer driving myself. I had some fun with it though and lived to tell the tale.

Add me to the list..I have a 2023 MX running 2024.8 I had actually paid $199 on March 20th for one month as I was going on a long trip for a few weeks and wanted to have FSD. The month expired yesterday and I have not been notified of any free 30 day trail or FSD supervised yet. I have also not had the option for auto park at all. Couldn't even get Tesla to give me a partial credit since the pricing changed midway through my on month. On the other hand I also own a 2023 M3 and did get the trial 30 days along with Supervised FSD and auto park....So weird that one car has it and other does not...I hope us who have 2024.8 will get it eventually

Took the car on a 40 mile journey to a highway and the nearest Tesla dealership in an attempt to calibrate the retarded cameras. Finally, after 300 miles, I got to 100% and could engage autopilot. It impresses me in that it can complete the trip home, but it doesn't try at all to avoid road hazards like potholes, drain divots, or anything else. It applies maximum braking at the apex of a corner, which is very wrong and dangerous. It wanders out when a merging lane is coming in instead of maintaining the normal distance to the lane line. It heavily brakes often, for everything. A billboard sign was interpreted as an emergency vehicle, but not so much so as to pull over. It did that 4 times until I passed it. It told me to pay attention several times, even though I can't look at the road any harder (had to look away, and look back). It wanted me to grab the steering wheel that I was holding about half a dozen times. It crowds the center line instead of centering in the lane. All inputs are more harsh than if I were driving. It's even worse than my wife. I don't get why it brakes hard approaching a stop sign, then applies throttle, then brakes hard again. It often does a needless hard brake, followed by acceleration. They didn't get the best drivers to train this thing.

My 2022 MS is on 2024.8.9, and still no FSD trial.

I'm beginning to think those of us on 2024.8x are going to have to wait until the 2024.14 update is broadly released to Tesla owners, as suggested in Tesla's Next FSD v12 Update Will Be Available For Users on 2024.8 on the Not a Tesla App website. It seems to me there’s been too much of a delay to think they’re going to release the FSD free trial on what is now becoming a somewhat dated 2024.8x branch.

While the delay is frustrating, getting the latest V12.x FSD free trial on the latest software branch may provide a superior driving experience that we’ll find worth the wait. I remain hopeful …