Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Level 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I was curious if anyone has any information regarding full autonomy, specifically level 5 FSD.

Obviously it will take some time to hit this accolade, but when it does happen, will Tesla make their programs open source?

I’m envisioning something where an address gets inputted, and the vehicle drives itself there, and returns back, basically like a robo taxi, but for companies apart from Tesla.

For example Uber; Say a passenger enters the pickup/dropoff location in the Uber app, the app tells the Tesla the location, the tesla drives itself there, picks up, and drops off.

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this!

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
Do you guys feel the same way when someone pulls up in a Tesla built after yours?
Bloody peasants.
The idea that it's okay for a Tesla branded vehicle to be blocking you from charging, but not a non-Tesla vehicle seems a bit elitist, or at least unlogical.
Tesla good. Legacy bad. This is a gut-level reaction to seeing legacy auto actively oppose electrification for a decade, and then, when it's clear that the world is going in that direction, they want to hang onto the horse's tail because it's galloping at speed in the right direction. There are simply not enough negative consequences for all the actions of the legacy automakers that I come to despise. That Mustang Mach-E showing up at a Supercharger is a physical manifestation of the entire situation and it irks me.

But I just charge at home. :)

• Funny
Reactions: johnnycnote
Upvote 0
Bloody peasants.

Tesla good. Legacy bad. This is a gut-level reaction to seeing legacy auto actively oppose electrification for a decade, and then, when it's clear that the world is going in that direction, they want to hang onto the horse's tail because it's galloping at speed in the right direction. There are simply not enough negative consequences for all the actions of the legacy automakers that I come to despise. That Mustang Mach-E showing up at a Supercharger is a physical manifestation of the entire situation and it irks me.

But I just charge at home. :)
Yeah, damn the legacy automakers for their decade(s) of inaction for sure...but it's not Mary Barra or Jim Farley that's pulling up to the Supercharger in their Equinox EV, it's your neighbor Joe that for whatever reason or other was looking for that kind of form factor, and Tesla wasn't offering it, so he got the Equinox instead. Much like Harry down the street who happened to get a Model Y. Irksome or not, I just don't see a huge difference between Joe & Harry.

Now Rich, who spread EV FUD every chance he got until he actually tried one out and decided they weren't as bad as he had heard they were, yeah, that's a bit different. But I think my reaction upon seeing him at a Supercharger would be to bust out laughing! 😆

Upvote 0
Yeah, damn the legacy automakers for their decade(s) of inaction for sure...but it's not Mary Barra or Jim Farley that's pulling up to the Supercharger in their Equinox EV, it's your neighbor Joe that for whatever reason or other was looking for that kind of form factor, and Tesla wasn't offering it, so he got the Equinox instead.
Yes, "damn the legacy automakers" but "oh, hey, shiny". That's definitely something that'll grind my gears. In me, that means that I just sigh in resignation. If I'm feeling really crazy, I'll do something dramatic like gently shake my head.

Upvote 0
Do you guys feel the same way when someone pulls up in a Tesla built after yours?

Tesla themselves, by building more gigafactories and producing tons more EVs, are by far the biggest culprit in increased Supercharger usage. The idea that it's okay for a Tesla branded vehicle to be blocking you from charging, but not a non-Tesla vehicle seems a bit elitist, or at least unlogical. If that does become a problem (and at this point, it's mainly just speculation), then the problem is not whether or not Tesla opened up the NACS standard, but rather that they didn't adequately expand the network. And you can say this whether or not there are just Teslas, or both Teslas and non-Teslas at Superchargers.
I think you misunderstood my joke. I don't think that at all ;)

Reactions: T-Mom
Upvote 0
I dream that one day my car will shuttle me to the top of a mountain bike trail and pick me up at the bottom while I rip down the trail with my bike. Oh it's a beautiful dream indeed. But based on my experience with FSD Beta today, I'd settle for it to just be able to cross a 4 way stop without embarrassing me and annoying everyone behind me. 🤦‍♂️
I originally plunked down the $3k (in 2017) so I could do this with kayaks! Maybe one day, before I die.

Reactions: johnny_cakes
Upvote 0
Yeah, damn the legacy automakers for their decade(s) of inaction for sure...but it's not Mary Barra or Jim Farley that's pulling up to the Supercharger in their Equinox EV, it's your neighbor Joe that for whatever reason or other was looking for that kind of form factor, and Tesla wasn't offering it, so he got the Equinox instead. Much like Harry down the street who happened to get a Model Y. Irksome or not, I just don't see a huge difference between Joe & Harry.

Now Rich, who spread EV FUD every chance he got until he actually tried one out and decided they weren't as bad as he had heard they were, yeah, that's a bit different. But I think my reaction upon seeing him at a Supercharger would be to bust out laughing! 😆
But if Joe got a Chevy Bolt charging at 40kw and Joe is taking up two stalls...Joe ITA. Just like the lady at the EA charger I was at yesterday. Chevy Bolt charging to 100% at 6kw...using the only 350kw stall (9 more empty 150kw stalls right next to her)

Upvote 0
I believe the answer to both of your questions is no. Dojo or not, vision only is a marketing campaign and not a path to level five autonomy. Until Tesla or insurance companies are willing to take on the liability of a 5000 pound 80 mile an hour, killing machine, run solely by a computer. This is something I have seen no plan from Elon. Once the beta program is over, even at level three, if you are allowed to take your eyes off the wheel for 30 seconds, there is a huge liability issue
If they were able to Nuro network, dojo, single stack, deep rain, corner cases, five 9s their way to success. The last thing the greedy dude would do was open Source it. Whether they open Source it or not, the code will certainly be involved in many legal cases as to its suitability, testing, and to ensure corners weren’t cut at the cost of lives.
The supercharger network is just a profitable gas station for Tesla, and not a humanitarian venture. Tesla has not even open Source the code for the supercharger connection. They’ve made their network proprietary With the software interface to the car. Even with the new standard, you won’t be DC charging your car without paying Elon a royalty

Upvote 0
...80 mile an hour...
Texas legal speed is 85 MPH:

attachment-Texas-Speed-Limit.jpg

Upvote 0
That is actually a good corner case. Something Cruise and Waymo have failed at detecting before.
Waymo stopped short of falling into the big construction hole. It required a technician to back up and drive it away.

Cruise went ahead and had fun with all 4 wheels sunk into the wet cement.

Waymo also drove in the same route as Cruise's and successfully avoided the wet cement.

Reactions: diplomat33
Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I was curious if anyone has any information regarding full autonomy, specifically level 5 FSD.

Obviously it will take some time to hit this accolade, but when it does happen, will Tesla make their programs open source?

I’m envisioning something where an address gets inputted, and the vehicle drives itself there, and returns back, basically like a robo taxi, but for companies apart from Tesla.

For example Uber; Say a passenger enters the pickup/dropoff location in the Uber app, the app tells the Tesla the location, the tesla drives itself there, picks up, and drops off.

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this!
It's still science fiction. The best you can do in a foreseeable future is L4 Waymo.

Waymo has been pretty good at avoiding collisions but the hard part is intelligence. Waymo got stuck sometimes but Cruise got famous for frequent brain freeze that created traffic jam.

Upvote 0
Operative word being before. Waymo has reported such incident in their dmv report.

Waymo did drive through the construction route before the concrete was poured, but the big deep trench was there waiting for the wet concrete to pour in.

It successfully obeyed the traffic cones and didn't get stuck in the empty trench.

Forbes said the car should have been programmed daily with new road construction notices, so this is not about intelligence. It was preprogrammed which lane was not to be used during the construction. Somehow, Cruise didn't get the road construction memo.

It's not like: "Oooo. There's such a nice deep dry ditch, so as an AI, I am just so smart, and I won't choose that lane." The decision not to choose that lane was preprogrammed before already!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Forbes said the car should have been programmed daily with new road construction notices, so this is not about intelligence. It was preprogrammed which lane was not to be used during the construction. Somehow, Cruise didn't get the road construction memo.

It's not like: "Oooo. There's such a nice deep dry ditch, so as an AI, I am just so smart, and I won't choose that lane." The decision not to choose that lane was preprogrammed before already!
This is all speculation. I seriously doubt that Waymo wouldn't handle this just by being their normal awesome.

Reactions: diplomat33
Upvote 0