Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD NOW 8k for all models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, $8K. That's a tough pill to swallow, yet a lot of people are still going to buy it.
Aside, 4 months in Elon time seems to equate to about one year in real time. I call it "Pi estimates". Multiply his estimates by 3.14 and you'll come closer to the real delivery time :D I do love Elon, but I think his sense of vision puts his estimates in a time warp.

Allegedly the entire new AP rewrite is coming in 4 months (c)ELon
Even if it does actually materialize in four months, this seems like a lot of lead time to start raising the price. The new stoplight/stop sign functionality is cool, but still more of a novelty. It’s way more stressful and cumbersome to use than the benefits it offers. Not worth a price hike.

Even if it does actually materialize in four months, this seems like a lot of lead time to start raising the price. The new stoplight/stop sign functionality is cool, but still more of a novelty. It’s way more stressful and cumbersome to use than the benefits it offers. Not worth a price hike.

Given the timing of the price increase, I'm sure it was one of the many tactics that Elon used to try and get Q2 profitable, making it 4 consecutive profitable quarters thus eligible for inclusion in the S&P500.

Last edited:
In the UK the regulators have restricted the AP curve radiius so the AP lets go on all but gentle curves, and we still have to confirm lane change with the stalk. Not only that but the US market are often 6-12 months ahead of feature releases than the UK.
AP/FSD will still only recognise 3 out of 5 cyclists and regularly misses other cars too and cross traffic is still mostly a no-no. So as AP it is a helpful assistance system but waaay short of anything beyond that.

But Tesla increased the price of FSD by 17% nonetheless to GBP6800.
Anyone who pays that here is nuts.
Perhaps Tesla should defer the price increases to other markets when they get the functionality.

In the UK the regulators have restricted the AP curve radiius so the AP lets go on all but gentle curves, and we still have to confirm lane change with the stalk. Not only that but the US market are often 6-12 months ahead of feature releases than the UK.
AP/FSD will still only recognise 3 out of 5 cyclists and regularly misses other cars too and cross traffic is still mostly a no-no. So as AP it is a helpful assistance system but waaay short of anything beyond that.

But Tesla increased the price of FSD by 17% nonetheless to GBP6800.
Anyone who pays that here is nuts.
Perhaps Tesla should defer the price increases to other markets when they get the functionality.

Nuts or brilliant depending on what the future holds.

Originally I would have had to pay 13k for the whole thing back in 2017.

Allegedly the entire new AP rewrite is coming in 4 months (c)ELon
Is this a new version of Elon's FSD commitment of "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure"? Customers are still waiting for any FSD features as per pre-March-2019 definition (which was current at the time of "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure). Or by "rewrite" Elon just means rewriting the definition of FSD again, like they did in March 2019, which instantly took FSD from 0% done to 70% done, without a single line of code.

Nuts or brilliant depending on what the future holds.

Originally I would have had to pay 13k for the whole thing back in 2017.
Good point. Now that I think about it, when I bought in mid 2017 I’m pretty sure it was 5k for EAP + 3k for FSD. So, it’s back to where it was 3years ago. But, the car itself is cheaper now. (depending on your configuration). Even though FSD does a lot more now, it doesn’t feel like a better value. My frugal self was only willing to buy during the fire sale.

Yes because it’s a beta and not 100% reliable.
True, but driving is not 100% reliable. Last night I watched the video of that M3 almost getting crushed by a semi (but saved by autopilot). Today, driving my wife’s Highlander on 101 N. in Marin in the HOV lane someone pulled out of stoped traffic and tried to merge right into me. I had to slam on the brakes and keep from hitting the car or the retaining wall, exactly like the video. During the 3 1/2 seconds it was happening I was actually having flashbacks of the video!
My point being, the auto pilot software is definitely worth something, well north of $1000 in my opinion. But, probably not 8k. I would pay 5k for it again.

True, but driving is not 100% reliable. Last night I watched the video of that M3 almost getting crushed by a semi. Today, driving my wife’s Highlander on 101 N. in Marin in the HOV lane someone pulled out of stoped traffic and tried to merge right into me. I had to slam on the brakes and keep from hitting the car or the retaining wall, exactly like the video. During the 3 1/2 seconds it was happening I was actually having flashbacks of the video!
My point being, the auto pilot software is definitely worth something, well north of $1000 in my opinion. But, probably not 8k. I would pay 5k for it again.
Fair enough, I honestly don’t care how much they charge. It’s worth 0 to me. I don’t want it and won’t use it.
I do think it’s wrong to charge for an option that’s “coming soon” but at the end of the day everyone buying it know exactly what they’re getting.

So you think the lane change, Summon, Smart Summon, NoA, Autopark, and stop sign/light recognition/response is only worth $1,000? o_O
If that. At the current state of all those features you just mentioned, Tesla probably should be paying customers to test it while taking on all responsibility for any damage caused by failures of the features.

Wow 8k... If it was a monthly plan than I can see more customers going for it... Lets see whats coming next
I think that is what they are aiming for. Price it at 8k then $100 a month doesn't seem to bad. I bet they have done the math and more people are willing to subscribe then pay 8k outright.

8k is ridiculous. Even if the car drove itself (which it wont for years), that feature isnt worth 8k. Most driving is done on highways which Tesla standard autopilot does a wonderful job at.

When exactly Self Driving starts or get engaged?

When I enter and sit in my car, I am in 'P' (Park).
I set my destination using NAP (Navigation on AutoPilot).
I press on brake pedal to 'Start' the car.
If I double click on the 'D' (Drive) stick, should the car go to FSD mode and starts moving when I release the brake pedal?

I never try this exact situation because when I am parked, my car is in a garage or is parked between two cars
and FSD can only self park but don't know to exit from a parking spot.​

I realize that I never engaged FSD from a full start.
So I wonder what trigger the car to accept or not going on FSD mode when you double tap the 'D' stick?

Most of the time while driving I have been tapping the 'D' Stick without any acknowledgement,
and suddenly FSD get engaged without I never really understood why this happen.

I just wonder what trigger FSD to get activated?

Price it at 8k then $100 a month doesn't seem to bad. I bet they have done the math and more people are willing to subscribe then pay 8k outright.
I really doubt that the math would tell Tesla there is more money in subscription. Most people would sign up at $100 a month, then drop it way before 80 months is up. Personally I would not pay more than a month (if that, having experienced AP and EAP), neither would my wife who keeps EAP2.5 disabled on her car. Even my 16 year old son tried EAP and doesn't like it either. We have AP1 and EAP2.5 on our Teslas, but AP1 is the only one which gets used (by me) from time to time. I try out out my wife's EAP as recently as a month ago (only on a highway), but it's still not as smooth as AP1, plus the phantom braking for no apparent reason just drove me nuts so I just turned it off. It wasn't tire screeching, accident causing slamming on the brakes, but still rather unpleasant slowdowns at highway speeds. Blind spot monitoring works better on EAP2.5 than AP1, I will give it that, not worth $8K though.

Notice that you can already get it $8K AP for ~$130 a month, just have to commit to 72 monthly payments up front. Let's see how many people sign up. A while back I polled some of my coworkers who bought Teslas, mostly Model 3's but there were a couple S's and one X, and majority did not pay for FSD even when it was $5K. Maybe Elon realized that the only people who will pay for FSD are not very price sensitive, so it makes sense to jack up the price - more money, same take rate of customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: emmz0r