Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price Cut to $12k Tonight, Aug 31/ Sept 1 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never buy anything Tesla sells as a future feature; only buy and expect what the car will do the day you drive it off the lot.
^THIS. I learned this lesson after my second Tesla in 2015. I have been trying to impart this on fellow TMC members ever since, not always successfully. Another way I like to put it - You will be a much happier customers if you assume your Tesla will only do what it does on delivery day, perhaps lose some functionality over time (e.g. my 2015 lost a working web browser around 2018, functionality which never came back until I sold it in 2023). Never buy future functionality from Elon, unless it comes with written money back guarantee with set calendar dates.

Anyone wanting to spend $12K for FSD today, buy $12K worth of TSLA stock, If it really delivers Level 5 autonomy, as Elon promised many times since 2016, that TSLA stock will pay for a new Tesla, with FSD, and leave you money to spare, probably enough for a second Tesla, maybe even a Roadster 20xx.

I agree, I do not have a car yet so I can not find out for myself.
When FSD was 15k the upgrade from EAP was 6k.

I'm hoping now that with FSD going to 12k that the upgrade may now be less than 6k.

I'm in the market and want FSD and some of the cars on my radar have only EAP. Looking to see what it would cost to buy one of them and then upgrade.
I can verify that the upgrade from eap to fsd is 6K........I had eap and upgraded as soon as the price dropped and my price to upgrade was 6K

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
I think this will be worth it when you can sleep and the car drives you to the destination. I need to drive between Orange Tx and New Orleans, LA a few times a month.

Right now can not do it in the MYP, has to recharge 2x on the trip real world range on that is about 240 miles at highway speeds.

Reactions: cdub
I tried it during my test drive and it was quite disconcerting.

That was scary.
FSD seems to accelerate to speed quicker than I'd like

The reason I'm thinking of buying FSD is I keep cars a LONG time.
No connection here, a red herring. Is your sole desire to bet against future cost increases? When the last price change was a 20% decrease? For something you find a bit problematic in today’s incarnation? Not a bet worth taking by me.
Will insurance value it? Doubtful.
I must be missing something, but from my read, you’ve answered your own question quite well here.

Reactions: cdub
It doesn’t matter if you keep cars for a long time. You can buy FSD later when you decide it’s worth it. Is it worth $12K today based on current features? Or are you buying a promise (that has been broken for many years) and have fear of price increases? I don’t know, I think I could find better ways to spend $12K. For starters I would want to know exactly what I’m buying and when it will be delivered.
Thank you! Yeah I decided to just get regular autopilot. I'd rather put that $12k to solar panels or something else I realized. Plus I really like DRIVING an EV. :)

I'm paying for the car with some of my TSLA stock gains over the years. I hate car payments. Interest rates are high and I figured it was a good as time as any to finally take some gains.

Thank you! Yeah I decided to just get regular autopilot. I'd rather put that $12k to solar panels or something else I realized. Plus I really like DRIVING an EV. :)

I'm paying for the car with some of my TSLA stock gains over the years. I hate car payments. Interest rates are high and I figured it was a good as time as any to finally take some gains.
Good on you! And for me, the best mod to any vehicle is having its title.

I paid $7000 when I bought it with my MYP and was lucky enough to be able to transfer it over to my MSP. No way in hell I'd pay $12k for it in its current state if they didn't let me transfer...

That being said, the moment they make this L3, I think it'll be worth it

I paid $7000 when I bought it with my MYP and was lucky enough to be able to transfer it over to my MSP. No way in hell I'd pay $12k for it in its current state if they didn't let me transfer...

That being said, the moment they make this L3, I think it'll be worth it
Yes! L3 is in the production queue . It, unfortunately, is just behind the finishing touches of full self driving cross country promised by Elon in 2016.
Pretty sure you'll get your L3 as soon as that happens. My guess is the cross country trip will be accompanied by flying pigs (don't hold me to that).

Found FSD an addictive experience and thoroughly enjoyed it even with nags and a few interventions
I am an FSD subscription holder and turn it on and off based on trips due to work from home and lack of full time need
As I watch and listen to you guys provide intervention frequency feedback, my interest is obviously for less
Looking forward to a major improvement and will jump back in when I see it
My financial fear is that Tesla crushes it soon and then I will be truly addicted
I’ll have to make the $200 room in the monthly family budget and cancel Disney+ and other unnecessary subscriptions

The future looks bright

FWIW: Got a 2018 M3 LR RWD. It came, by accident, with EAP. Two years later there was a sale on FSD and bought it. And early in 2022 I got into the Beta program.

Unlike the usual bunch of naysayers, I don't think that I bought a Pony with FSD-b, or even FSD: It's been clear from the beginning that FSD, especially the Beta, is a research project. The aspirational goal is to get to L3 or some such. So, expecting perfect behavior from this bag of software has always been out of the question, at least until Tesla is Done.

Having said that, I ponk around the landscape in full FSD-b mode all the blinking time. 98% of the time, it works; 2% of the time, and pretty much when not on limited access highways, it does insane things.

When first exposed to FSD-b in 2022 it required interventions once to thrice a mile. On average, with 11.4.7, it's more like once or thrice in ten miles on local roads, and Not At All on interstates. And, even with that, it's possible to make it 20 miles or more on local roads if the rolling dice cooperate. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

No question, though: On local roads, FSD-b is somewhat stress inducing, since one never knows when it's going to do something insane. But it does a lot of stuff right: Dodges around parked lawn service vehicles and dumptrucks, does reasonable right and, to a lesser extent, left turns; stop signs, light-controlled intersections, and all that. And it doesn't do seek-and-destroy on pedestrians and cyclists.

For long distance driving on interstates and such, FSD is actually stress reducing. No worries about running into cars in one's blind spots, auto lane changes are fine, it gets into most off and on ramps without trouble (although if it's tight with heavy traffic, it can get stuck.) 200 miles on FSD-b/FSD leaves one feeling a lot less beat up at the end of a trip than driving around without cruise control, or even minimal cruise control. EAP also does this fairly well, although not as full-featured as FSD/FSD-b.

Would I buy it again? Hm. I got it early on at $6k. It's $12k now. The SO has a MY; we did get EAP for it, which does have most of the goodies, at least on highways. I dunno: The SO says my investing in FSD was better than, say, me investing in a boat. Or an airplane. And probably cheaper, so she let me go for it. $12k is a little rich for that kind of fun.

Thing is: Tesla has said repeatedly that the closer to actual delivery FSD gets, the more Tesla is going to charge for it. And, when and if it ever gets to full robotaxi, then it'll be really expensive, like half the cost of the car. Or more.

Still, a fair number, low double digit percentage, of new Tesla buyers do go for it.

Your call.

I love reading through the FSDb threads. I haven't bought it but have rented it. I'll rent it for a month and by the end of the month, it is hell no, glad I didn't buy it. I'll go for a few months and read how much better it is here or on YT vids and drop another $200 on and test drive it again for a month.

Well... I am still waiting for it even to be good enough that I'd rent it for another month, let alone plunk down the current absurd price of $12k. Sort of fool me once; shame on you type thing going on. Maybe Tesla could come up with a family plan for all cars on one account. Let's say 10-12k and cover all the cars in your account up to say 3 or 4. I'd probably do that.

All I can say is at this point I am way ahead of the curve by renting and not buying. If it was around 5k, for FSD, I might roll the dice and buy. Even then that would represent over 2 years of continuous use. I really doubt I'd use it that much out of the next 5 years. AP does 99% of what I want.

Not to mention I drive a Plaid and I can't tell you how many bursts of speed I've done where AP put me in jail. At least I could reset AP with a stop. With FSD, I'd be locked out for weeks.

One of the FSD complaints that I see coming up often is that it nags too often for user intervention (keep hands on the wheel).

Is there a difference in how often it nags for AP(EAP) vs FSD? Does one nag more often than the other?

One of the FSD complaints that I see coming up often is that it nags too often for user intervention (keep hands on the wheel).

Is there a difference in how often it nags for AP(EAP) vs FSD? Does one nag more often than the other?
Geez. The nag complaints.

Unfortunately, the FSD-b/FSD forums are inhabited by some posters who believe in doing the full, illegal monty: Putting weights on the wheel, figuring out how to defeat the track-your-eyes stuff, and so on. Given that FSD-b is officially described by Tesla as, "Doing the worst thing at the wrong time.", anything that allows one to keep one's hands off the steering wheel is Not Advised. So, that's One. (By the by: People who say that they're doing that on the forums get Yelled At.)

Actually keeping the car from complaining isn't all that difficult. I've driven from NJ to FL and back; NJ to Savannah and back; and from NJ to Chicago, then Louisville, and back. There's two known, "tricks" that work pretty well:
  • Drive with one hand on either the 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock position. The jiggling caused by the car going over road imperfections is enough to keep the nag away.
  • Two hands on the wheel: inculcate a habit where, with breathing, one gently torques to the left, then to the right. Once the habit is ingrained, one is good.
The nag algorithm has been improved over the past six to nine months; it used to be that, even with the above, the car would occasionally still become convinced that one's hands weren't on the wheel, to the point where one would end up disengaging to keep the nag from occurring. That hasn't happened in months.

And, as far as those Ford advertisements where the drivers are seen playing patty-cake: By all reports, the Ford Blue-Drive system is nowhere near as functional as Tesla's offering, so running around with one's hands off the wheel is, well, actually pretty stupid.

Reactions: cdub and cucubits
Tesla has said repeatedly that the closer to actual delivery FSD gets, the more Tesla is going to charge for it. And, when and if it ever gets to full robotaxi, then it'll be really expensive…
So, given that the price has recently gone down from $15,000 to $12,000 that obviously means FSD delivery is getting further and further into the future, right?

I bought it as a $3000 add-on when I ordered my Model 3 RWD in early 2018. Not my finest decision. It took me a couple of years to wake up from believing the hype and now at least 3 years of regret given how it has miraculously (I know, right?) not appeared as originally advertised. I kick myself for believing the “we’re just this close” snake oil. Totally my own fault for buying something that didn’t exist betting on the come, and I own that. A bit like being a math major and buying a lottery ticket anyway.

So, given that the price has recently gone down from $15,000 to $12,000 that obviously means FSD delivery is getting further and further into the future, right?

I bought it as a $3000 add-on when I ordered my Model 3 RWD in early 2018. Not my finest decision. It took me a couple of years to wake up from believing the hype and now at least 3 years of regret given how it has miraculously (I know, right?) not appeared as originally advertised. I kick myself for believing the “we’re just this close” snake oil. Totally my own fault for buying something that didn’t exist betting on the come, and I own that. A bit like being a math major and buying a lottery ticket anyway.

Don't feel too bad, I'm one of the biggest non-believers in all the bs elon tries to convince his cult following yet still back in 2018-ish I was very close to buying a 3 with FSD. Glad I didn't but I'm continuously amazed how still to this day some people gift their money to him for FSD and blindly believe that the next update is going to be it.

Tesla pride themselves as direct sellers and bypassing all the dealership sales bs, but elon is the biggest salesman of them all.

Last edited:
Don't feel too bad, I'm one of the biggest non-believers in all the bs elon tries to convince his cult following yet still back in 2018-ish I was very close to buying a 3 with FSD. Glad I didn't but I'm continuously amazed how still to this day some people gift their money to him for FSD and blindly believe that the next update is going to be it.

Tesla pride themselves as direct sellers and bypassing all the dealership sales bs, but elon is the biggest salesman of them all.
I envy your decision-making skills and ability to stand firm against the hype. I’ve joined a program.