Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price Cut to $12k Tonight, Aug 31/ Sept 1 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now I am using [FSD] to guide me while my hands are on the steering all the time and so as my eyes.. Still more relaxing to drive that way than steering the car actively.

I have a tough time with this. I feel like the only reason it's more relaxing is because the driver is not actively operating the vehicle, which means that when something goes wrong, the chances of an accident occuring are even higher... because the driver was too busy "relaxing".

Am I wrong?

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have a tough time with this. I feel like the only reason it's more relaxing is because the driver is not actively operating the vehicle, which means that when something goes wrong, the chances of an accident occuring are even higher... because the driver was too busy "relaxing".

Am I wrong?

I didn't fall for the FSD scam, but I can tell you an example where AP is more relaxing and safer, and that's when you are going through long stretches of busy highway that are under construction, so they have very narrow lanes. It's very nice to put on AP and have it do the work of keeping your car perfectly in the center of the lane while you are still on high alert.

It's a corner case, but if you make long trips, you are bound to run into those situations as almost every highway seems to have parts in construction non-stop.

This is fun, nice to meet y'all....
My FDS optimism is based on AI news, AI current level of awareness and also that the Tesla Dojo supercomputer just went live. I believe AI systems will become sentient in short order (if not already) and this puts AI mental capability at a level equal to an average person or 'average driver". I believe the Tesla Dojo supercomputer will take FSD to the next level; a near sentient level in 24-months. This will correct all those out of the ordinary driving events that that many here have complained about. Dojo supercomputer is a game changer....and included with your 12K donation fee.

-Uman

So, with the new price reductions I just noticed that FSD now is 12K...

Does anyone think it's worth it now? I tried it but my 2023 is still on 11.4.4 with HW4, not sure why it did not progress beyond that. I tried FSD, it worked well under the "average" mode. Did not like much but I still prefer to be driven and if 11.4.6 or 11.4.7 is much better, and assuming within a year it will be 2X 3X better, I do see myself using it most of the time. I came from BMWs and M-Benz which I have been driving on Drive-Assist or lane keep assist 100% of the time even in city, so am tunes to let the car at least steer and do centering, and taking full turns is even a plus to my liking.

DOES IT WORTH IT NOW? I did the 200/month math... at 12K, sounds like the comparison is closer now.

The new cars price reductions hurts... at least I got my long range at a 9,500 discount.... about 5K hit for me all together. Sucks but whatever I love my car.
No-one can answer this for you. Is a $90 bottle of wine worth it? YMMV

I have FSD. The resale value seems to be $0 so I wouldn't do it for that. This is certainly true if you trade the car in, especially back to Tesla. Maybe private sale is better but I haven't tested that. As far as functionality, I use autopilot on the highway very often, which I believe comes standard now. The rest is worth $0 to me. Luckily I got FSD when it was offered at a super low price, so I don't feel so bad although I still overpaid. For $12K no way unless the features are available at purchase and I have tried them and decided they are sufficiently useful.

Just finished one month with FSD 11.4.4 and was amazed, now without, I feel could've gotten addicted
I did not renew due to not being ready for the 5-10% interdictions necessary, but liked being involved in such edgy technology, watching it develop
Next in anticipation of V12, I will follow you guys and jump back in once we are close to L4 and beyond

Reactions: cdub
The most charitable answer from me would be that I wouldn't consider it unless it's completely transferrable and also somethings that Tesla would buy back if I decided I didn't want it.
Yup. I agree that if there was some type of policy or procedure where Tesla has to buy FSD back from the driver, if XYZ happens or where it’s not what the owner thought it would be based on their geographic, ect.

I'm about to finally order my Y and I'm going back and forth on it.

I tried it during my test drive and it was quite disconcerting. Not necessarily that it was doing anything wrong but it's quite disconcerting at first when a car does something when you are not in control of it.

I remember the same feeling when I first tried regular autopilot and I turned it on and it instantly accelerated to the speed limit. That was scary. I've since turned on the setting where it stays the same speed when you turn it on... but there doesn't appear to be a setting for that on FSD.

FSD seems to accelerate to speed quicker than I'd like as I'm not in control. I also had my foot hovering on the brake as it did the exit and navigated to the road. It did fine. I also took over on the highway as we we're stopped behind a semi and we needed to pull into the left lane from a stop to make our exit. A challenging maneuver for a human let alone a computer. (Crazy Pasadena traffic on the 210)

Anyways I digress....

The reason I'm thinking of buying FSD is I keep cars a LONG time. I'm still driving my 2011 Leaf which I've had 12 years. We're probably going to keep the Leaf and sell the gas car so I'll even have it longer.

Since I'm going to keep it that long it might be worth getting.

My one fear with FSD is I buy it with the car and God forbid a month* or a year from now I get rear ended and insurance deems it totalled. Will Tesla let me transfer it to the new car? Who knows? Will insurance value it? Doubtful.

*2 out of 3 brand new cars I've purchased have been rear ended or backed into within months of ownership. 😱 Thankfully never totalled but still.

Good to see that there seems to be quite a consensus that FSD at its current price is nowhere near worth it.

EAP at $6k while still just a glorified lane assist with some party tricks, might be a good buy for anyone getting into a new tesla now... I'd consider it and I was always extremely vocal against elon's empty FSD promises...

Last edited:
I agree, I do not have a car yet so I can not find out for myself.
When FSD was 15k the upgrade from EAP was 6k.

I'm hoping now that with FSD going to 12k that the upgrade may now be less than 6k.

I'm in the market and want FSD and some of the cars on my radar have only EAP. Looking to see what it would cost to buy one of them and then upgrade.

I tried it during my test drive and it was quite disconcerting. Not necessarily that it was doing anything wrong but it's quite disconcerting at first when a car does something when you are not in control of it.

I remember the same feeling when I first tried regular autopilot and I turned it on and it instantly accelerated to the speed limit. That was scary. I've since turned on the setting where it stays the same speed when you turn it on... but there doesn't appear to be a setting for that on FSD.

FSD seems to accelerate to speed quicker than I'd like as I'm not in control. I also had my foot hovering on the brake as it did the exit and navigated to the road. It did fine. I also took over on the highway as we we're stopped behind a semi and we needed to pull into the left lane from a stop to make our exit. A challenging maneuver for a human let alone a computer. (Crazy Pasadena traffic on the 210)

Anyways I digress....

The reason I'm thinking of buying FSD is I keep cars a LONG time. I'm still driving my 2011 Leaf which I've had 12 years. We're probably going to keep the Leaf and sell the gas car so I'll even have it longer.

My one fear with FSD is I buy it with the car and God forbid a month* or a year from now I get rear ended and insurance deems it totalled. Will Tesla let me transfer it to the new car? Who knows? Will insurance value it? Doubtful.

*2 out of 3 brand new cars I've purchased have been rear ended or backed into within months of ownership. 😱 Thankfully never totalled but still.
It doesn’t matter if you keep cars for a long time. You can buy FSD later when you decide it’s worth it. Is it worth $12K today based on current features? Or are you buying a promise (that has been broken for many years) and have fear of price increases? I don’t know, I think I could find better ways to spend $12K. For starters I would want to know exactly what I’m buying and when it will be delivered.

Anyways I digress....

Rule of thumb is if you think the current level of functionality with FSD is worth $12k, then by all means part with your money. But don’t buy for the promise of future full autonomy with your car via updates because it may never come.

All Teslas with HW2 were supposed to be capable of full autonomy. Then they came out with HW3, which was at least a free upgrade for older cars if you paid for FSD. Full autonomy still not achieved with HW3 and Level 3 autonomy (hands free in certain situations) is still not offered by Tesla. Now they have HW4 with no upgrade path from HW3 other than buying a new car.

Time will come (before full autonomy is achieved) when they reach the limits of HW3 and stop developing it. Same with HW4 as I don’t believe they will be able to “solve” FSD with just vision alone. They have already scrapped and rewritten FSD code 2 or 3x at this point?

Reactions: cdub and cucubits
The day Tesla assumes full liability for the car while using FSD to come get me and drive me somewhere is when I click the purchase button for 15k.
That was pretty much my attitude when buying last two Model S'es, except I was willing to put $20K price on it. I switched brands after the yoke, but that will not be an issue once FSD is working as Elon advertised (think summon from NYC to LA), so Tesla will not only get my money for FSD, but also sell me more S or X'es, as working FSD would in fact get me buy a Tesla again. So if Elon is telling the truth, Tesla will be selling me a couple of S/X soon. For now, since I need to drive myself, I switched our household from all Tesla to all VWAG - still all EV's, better driving experience, even though missing some Tesla software features.

PS> Then answer to inevitable question someone will ask, I occasionally hang around this forum for both sentimental reasons (a decade of driving Teslas under my belt) as well as the fact that I recommended Teslas to family and friends who still drive them, so keeping up on the news/recalls/changes/releases, which this forums is a much better source of than Tesla communications.

Last edited: