Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price Cut to $12k Tonight, Aug 31/ Sept 1 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JHCCAZ

Electrified Engineer
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2021
Tucson
I only know this because I was on the phone with my son who was in the process of ordering his second Tesla, a red MY to replace the family's Honda SUV.

As we were on the phone intermittently, he was commenting that the inventory cars seem to be fluctuating somewhat in price. Then he noticed cars with FSD were showing a big reduction due to FSD being "only" $12K! (He's not able to buy it, but his chosen car did fall by $500 while he was considering it, nice.)

Sure enough, the order configuration page on the Tesla website now shows $12K for FSD...

Good news overall, but some people are going to be screaming around here...

I only know this because I was on the phone with my son who was in the process of ordering his second Tesla, a red MY to replace the family's Honda SUV.

As we were on the phone intermittently, he was commenting that the inventory cars seem to be fluctuating somewhat in price. Then he noticed cars with FSD were showing a big reduction due to FSD being "only" $12K! (He's not able to buy it, but his chosen car did fall by $500 while he was considering it, nice.)

Sure enough, the order configuration page on the Tesla website now shows $12K for FSD...

Good news overall, but some people are going to be screaming around here...
Confirmed...it's on the order page along with a price reduction so that some configurations qualify for the tax credit if below $80k.
No added cost for any color. Yoke option takes it over 80k.

1693549780995.png

1693549828839.png

Last edited:
So, with the new price reductions I just noticed that FSD now is 12K...

Does anyone think it's worth it now? I tried it but my 2023 is still on 11.4.4 with HW4, not sure why it did not progress beyond that. I tried FSD, it worked well under the "average" mode. Did not like much but I still prefer to be driven and if 11.4.6 or 11.4.7 is much better, and assuming within a year it will be 2X 3X better, I do see myself using it most of the time. I came from BMWs and M-Benz which I have been driving on Drive-Assist or lane keep assist 100% of the time even in city, so am tunes to let the car at least steer and do centering, and taking full turns is even a plus to my liking.

DOES IT WORTH IT NOW? I did the 200/month math... at 12K, sounds like the comparison is closer now.

The new cars price reductions hurts... at least I got my long range at a 9,500 discount.... about 5K hit for me all together. Sucks but whatever I love my car.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdub
Tesla has been making and breaking FSD promises of autosteer on city streets coming soon for 8 years. While AP and some EAP features perform reasonably well, there is nothing that indicates their evolving hardware suite and FSD strategy will ever be capable (or safe). Save your money and only pay for proven capabilities, not broken promises.

I re-did the math and I think you guys are right. Even at 12K, it would take a lot of years before the re-sale value benefit (probably only 3K more) plus the monthly subscription avoidance, before it may exceed the 12K threshold.

Sounds to me that in order for FSD purchase to be well worth it it must drop to 6K... otherwise monthly and on an as needed basis is still better. Plus we travel outside the country for 2 months every year (that's 400 USD I can avoid per year) and during the very harsh winter of 4 months where I live, I would never ever want FSD as we can barely see the roads (that's another 200*4=800)... $1200.... Turns out my cost can be about 600 USD per year if I do monthly subscription and only use it when I really need it. Over 5 years of ownership, this is about 3000 USD... All that assuming the monthly cost remains 200 USD/m, but honestly if they increase it I don't see how anyone would subscribe to it (200 USD is already too much for many)..... For 200 USD one can lease a toyota camry lol and get another car really... or even support a loan for a Model 3!!!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve