Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD subscription announced by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I have had EAP for 10 months and have done two 2000 mile road trips, I am gonna try the $99/mo. I really like EAP features especially on long trips and believe it or not, to help with questionable interchanges in the map display on navigation.
Like a high speed interchange with 3 or more choices that look like one thick blue line, EAP picks the the right one for you for example. And auto lane change is great. Much much less tired after 9 hour trip as a result. Yes it gets a bit wonky on slow ramps and particularly when there is absence of clear painted lane lines.

I would like to hear from someone like me who has had EAP for awhile and uses it regularly, then added FSD later. Getting stop 🛑 and 🚦 awareness along on top of EAP doesn’t seem worth $5000 to me right now.
But if it buys you the Tesla promise of auto steer on city streets and very close to autonomous driving, I might consider the purchase now. I will try the subscription route now anyway. I guess I don’t trust Tesla or trust that they won’t just tack on yet another $2K to add more feature to FSD later. They need to get better on giving more purchase contract details in my opinion. The bulletized feature list alone that only says “Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control” with “Coming Soon—Autosteer on City Streets” just doesn’t do it for me.
And let’s not forget the caveat that this feature is not autonomous driving and full driver attention is required. Really I think our $99/mo funding their huge super computer, the big hiring push of AI computer scientists/software engineers, and widening the FSD database or data collection so they have a chance of success on the promises already made. And we know what those promises are.

Since I have had EAP for 10 months and have done two 2000 mile road trips, I am gonna try the $99/mo. I really like EAP features especially on long trips and believe it or not, to help with questionable interchanges in the map display on navigation.
Like a high speed interchange with 3 or more choices that look like one thick blue line, EAP picks the the right one for you for example. And auto lane change is great. Much much less tired after 9 hour trip as a result. Yes it gets a bit wonky on slow ramps and particularly when there is absence of clear painted lane lines.

I would like to hear from someone like me who has had EAP for awhile and uses it regularly, then added FSD later. Getting stop 🛑 and 🚦 awareness along on top of EAP doesn’t seem worth $5000 to me right now.
But if it buys you the Tesla promise of auto steer on city streets and very close to autonomous driving, I might consider the purchase now. I will try the subscription route now anyway. I guess I don’t trust Tesla or trust that they won’t just tack on yet another $2K to add more feature to FSD later. They need to get better on giving more purchase contract details in my opinion. The bulletized feature list alone that only says “Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control” with “Coming Soon—Autosteer on City Streets” just doesn’t do it for me.
And let’s not forget the caveat that this feature is not autonomous driving and full driver attention is required. Really I think our $99/mo funding their huge super computer, the big hiring push of AI computer scientists/software engineers, and widening the FSD database or data collection so they have a chance of success on the promises already made. And we know what those promises are.
Big fan of the auto-lane change in EAP, but not enamored with NAV, so I turned the latter off months ago. Will not be a purchaser (yet).

Here’s the feature update screen… I may post my impressions here after I try it out.

Attachments

• C61F9FD2-FBA3-4DC5-B6AC-2F0CBA3B013C.jpeg
    C61F9FD2-FBA3-4DC5-B6AC-2F0CBA3B013C.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 82
I might try it for a month just out of curiosity, but FSD isn't really worth the money until it is really full self driving. Until then, I'm just paying to be a beta tester of some software that is far from fully baked and just may kill me if I'm not paying really, really close attention. They should be paying us to help them develop this!
I’m going to do the same. If it’s not worth it, I’ll cancel. Standard auto pilot is probably enough.

I got EAP then got FSD. What I like best about the upgrade is the Green Light Chime, haha!! And the stop sign/light control comes in handy in traffic.

My wife has been wanting the GLC (her MY only has EAP), but she thought $5k for the chime seemed a little steep. We’ll definitely try the $99/month to see if she uses the chime/stop sign/light control enough to justify the cost.

Reactions: Yippydog
I’m going to do the same. If it’s not worth it, I’ll cancel. Standard auto pilot is probably enough.
Yeah I think I agree. I’ll keep this for a month then cancel. I was wrong it won’t make turns on suburban streets and it stops at green lights. Basic AP is about as good as you can get for now. As is FSD is not worth the $200/mo. I haven’t tried summon yet or park (not sure how to enable park) but I’ll give those a try over next month and report back. As is this is AP with several more pretty useless features but maybe it will get better

Reactions: hcdavis3
Yeah - I’m probably gonna subscribe during a couple upcoming road trips. Hopeful that some of the features will be nice on long-haul drives. Definitely don’t really need it for day-to-day driving around town in my case.

I find it interesting that most of the videos depicting FSD “fails” are of situations the owners manual specifically highlights as weaknesses or warns against.

As long as people are willing to pay, it doesn't matter how much it costs. An ugly painting to most people can be auctioned off for millions.
Same goes for FSD, time and and time again, polling here has shown that MOST PEOPLE won't pay for FSD, but as long as there are people willing to pay for it, it's worth that price.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 1k for FSD today. Why? I was offered the trial of FSD for 3 months since I bought my 2nd Tesla at end of 2020. Summoning is GARBAGE, hit my curb. Auto park caused a curb rash on the rim. The only useful feature that I actually used was auto lane change, it's convenient without having to disengage and reengage autopilot.

Again, everyone's different, some people may utilize it more than I do. Or I might have used it wrong. Until REAL FSD happens, I'm not paying for this.

Last thought, is it just me or FSD is fundamentally against what Tesla car is designed for? I mean the car is too fun to drive, you can bet if FSD is utilized, the car will be driven like a grandma, might as well utilize FSD on VW ID4 or some other boring cars.

Reactions: Daekwan

I'm an idiot for spending $8K on FSD. I've used summon twice. The features I thought were FSD are really autopilot. Auto lane changing and getting off at exits are the things that scare me the most that I don't want to use at all. I really wish they'd just refund (lol), or allowed FSD to carry over to another car (this makes total sense), or added some new absolute must have feature. I think paying the subscription I would feel ripped off even. I was just a new Tesla owner excited about having it all =(

EDIT: green light chime is only for FSD owners? Wow. Totally worth it. I change my mind

Reactions: GenoM3P
I congratulate everyone who has $7/day to spend on their car changing lanes and stopping at stop lights. You could feed a homeless person indefinitely for that cost. If you choose to do that instead, Start a thread where others can pile in.

Thanks, "holier than thou." How many homeless people could have fed working in a soup kitchen with the time it took for you to write that?

I'm an idiot for spending $8K on FSD. I've used summon twice. The features I thought were FSD are really autopilot. Auto lane changing and getting off at exits are the things that scare me the most that I don't want to use at all. I really wish they'd just refund (lol), or allowed FSD to carry over to another car (this makes total sense), or added some new absolute must have feature. I think paying the subscription I would feel ripped off even. I was just a new Tesla owner excited about having it all =(

EDIT: green light chime is only for FSD owners? Wow. Totally worth it. I change my mind
I know I going to piss off some diehard tesla owners, but what about giving me something I will use every day.
-BSM, (even if it is just a chime)
-Sirius
-Cross traffic indicator
-Apple or android car play

I would pay to get those items. Offer them and see how many people jump on it.

And by the way we all paid the same amount for our cars (depending on trim) so we can love the car but still wish for what seems to be basic on most cars.